world travelers? packing advice.

boom

WKR
we can talk about how to pack for an archery backcountry backpack trip for days..work the nuances until the load is perfect.

what about regular travel? i want to go in LIGHT!! i have 17 days do do in Peru. totally two sides of the country. one side, freezing my butt, hiking up Machu Picchu. the other, hot humid rain forest. i think we are gonna lock up the two season gear at the airport locker.

i'm bringing some of my camo gear, because it is my best performing stuff, and i own very little solid colors. :(

i'm starting the packing with one pair of Prana Zions on my body, and one extra pair of pants in the pack + my new travel spinning rod. i'll build my list from there..i am NOT bring a suitcase. not ever. maybe an extra duffel for the airport locker.

I spent two weeks in New Zealand with basically this gear list https://lighterpack.com/r/cerg2q

I also had my laptop and its charger in there so I could offload/upload photos and video as I went so I didn't lose anything. That gear list also did the Appalachian Trail with me, temps ranged in the teens to 100 in the day. Something I ended up adding are crocs--i use them to wade fish and to wear at camp/ in public showers. Going to Peru maybe you will want some water shoes.

Make sure you don't try to take stove fuel on the plane! And make sure the fuel you are looking to use is readily available in the area. Alcohol stoves are pretty easy.

OP
B

boom

WKR
Make sure you don't try to take stove fuel on the plane! And make sure the fuel you are looking to use is readily available in the area. Alcohol stoves are pretty easy.

no stove needed. we hired a cook guide dude.

Great alpaca wool available all over Peru. I took an multifuel stove and burned kerosene. Be careful at airports. I lost gear to the handlers in my checked bags. Bury your pricier stuff in your clothes. They are looking for a quick zip and grab. At least in my case. Easy well travelled country especially Cusco area. Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you checking a bag or carry on only ? Airport locker ? Does this imply your passing back through Lima or wherever your originally flying into or would this be outta the way ?

If you have more then acarry on and personal item you suck. Haha

Boardshorts, stretch no stink.. and 2 wool kuiu shirts for the tropics. Those 125 wear like iron. Tooth brush and some toothpaste. Ur not a girl you don't need anything else.

For cold areas puffy jacket, pants and sleeping bag. One midweifht long sleeve. Size up pants so you can rock boardies under them. That's it.

Go light as fvck. 2 Credit cards, 200 bucks cash and a passport. Can always buy it you need it. 17 days is quick.

2 kids and two carry on backpacks. That's the motto.

Basic non hunting international travel / hostel / possible bivy potential kit for me in all standard environments from tropics to summer alpine is : a pair of surf trunks, shades, bandana , beanie, sun hat, 2 pair of wool or synthetic underwear, hiking boots or trail runners , 1 pair of solid travel pants (I.E. prana zion ), sandals, 1 pair sock liners, 1 pair wool socks, quick dry towel, ultra light down sleeping bag 30 or 40 degree, mosquito head net, light weight gloves,ultra light inflatable sleeping pad, sunblock, lip balm, water bottle, water treatment tabs, flask ( I'm more of a beer drinker but a flask of liquor can be enjoyable and come in handy to make friends etc depending on were you are )550 cord,short sleeve tee, wool long sleeve hoodie, synthetic mid weight puffy jacket, UL sun shirt, light rain coat, flash light / head lamp, med kit which includes a emergency reflective bivy and tinder, large ultra light dry bag,inflatable pillow,compass and or GPS /phone, solar charger, tooth brush and paste, hand sanitizer and small liquid soap, if I have to carry on I buy a lighter, razor, enough liquor to fill a flask, and a basic folder blade ASAP .Any solid backpack capable of mid weight load and around 60 L usually works .If I'm checking in bags a 90 L duffel that has pack straps as well works sometimes depending on the itinerary. Can also always shove other gear in a check in but whether you are on the move the entire time or not will obviously determine how you pack as well.

Last edited:
I cut weight by carrying different sets of base layers. If it gets bitter cold I double up my base layers instead of carrying heavy jeans and jackets. A decent down vest or jacket and a raincoat (if necessary) or windbreaker will suffice. Gloves and hats can do alot. I can always shop locally as needed.

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I did a 14 day France (Paris and Normandy) and London, England trip, in January, so winter travel in Northern Europe, with only each using a small carry-on. Very possible and so easy to move around airports, train stations, etc. There are tons of “packing light” advice online. It will be even easier for you since you probably won’t be as dressed up as we were (ie. no super packable hiking pants and jackets). We packed 8 days worth of clothes and did laundry on day 7.

Phaseolus

WKR
Don’t use a lock up in an airport unless you want to loose the gear. If you need some layers buy them locally. I try to blend in with the populace a bit, wearing camo’s will make you stand out.

With respect to taking your camo, you might want to check with the U.S. consulate to see if wearing camo is a bad idea. Some countries still see it as militaristic, even non military camo, and you might get stopped or questioned for wearing it. Hopefully Peru is not one of those countries, but it is worth a phone call or email.

AZWarts

FNG
This more aimed at traveling to hunt but this is what I do....
I spend a lot of time going between AK and the lower 48 for hunts and this has worked well for rifles and bows. I bought an SKB double bow case (hard sided, lockable with TSA locks, etc) inside of that goes my bow all necessary tools broad heads what ever it may be. I also put skinning knives and my optics in the case. After i've packed my hard items I take as much clothing as i can and fit those in around the open spaces. I have found that it makes it not only convenient but helps keep everything in place and protected. with the wheeled bow case it makes it easy to transport vs trying to bring 100+ pounds of crap through the airport.

we can talk about how to pack for an archery backcountry backpack trip for days..work the nuances until the load is perfect.

what about regular travel? i want to go in LIGHT!! i have 17 days do do in Peru. totally two sides of the country. one side, freezing my butt, hiking up Machu Picchu. the other, hot humid rain forest. i think we are gonna lock up the two season gear at the airport locker.

i'm bringing some of my camo gear, because it is my best performing stuff, and i own very little solid colors. :(

i'm starting the packing with one pair of Prana Zions on my body, and one extra pair of pants in the pack + my new travel spinning rod. i'll build my list from there..i am NOT bring a suitcase. not ever. maybe an extra duffel for the airport locker.

Camo can be a bad idea and even illegal in foreign countries. Be careful with that one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

boom

WKR
Thanks for the thoughts on Camo gear. Didn’t think of that.

Phaseolus

WKR
Having traveled in SA 20 years ago by backpack I would not want to be the Gringo wearing camo.

Exactly on the camo... No go for me.

After spending most of the past 6 months living out of backpack throughout Europe, I just bring the bare essentials along with a rain layer and puffy, a beanie and a nice fleece sweatshirt. The rest is a merino layer, a tshirt, a few extra socks and boxers. Hygiene stuff, pass port, money, etc. Very simple and it all fits in a 2200 CI back pack which can easily be fit in an overhead bin on the planes so that I do not have to check luggage. Comfortable shoes are very important as well. I go out of my way to not look like an American, but you may not have to.

Keep everything with you, all the time, so pack light enough to do that.

ljalberta

WKR
I agree with the others in bare minimals. When backpacking usually I bring one pair of zip-off pants, 1 swim suit(doubles as a second pair of shorts), 1 pack towel, 2-3 shirts, 2-3 underwear, 1 insulating layer, footwear and socks depends on region, same with raingear. If I'm not expecting much rain, a cheap, light poncho will do. Then I bring toothbrush/paste, deodorant, and soap. A hat, sunglasses, camera gear, deet wipes, a book and some sunscreen usually top it off. This all fits in a 30l back with heaps of room to spare. My experience is more from backpacking in SE Asia for 6 months. Made it super easy to fit my bag overhead or under my seat on all planes/busses. If I wasn't going for as long I'd probably take a few more luxuries.

i did 5 weeks through south america, including backpacking machu picchu with just my backpacking backpack as a carry on in january which included the crazy rainy season in peru to 90 degrees in argentina.
a few things to keep in mind that i feel like a lot of people forget when traveling..
1. you can wear the same thing many, many times as you arent seeing the same people every day (i.e at work)
2. get fast drying clothes you can wash in a sink with travel laundry detergent... ex officio boxer briefs, wool socks, etc. also, its not hard to find a laundry mat somewhere and washing a few changes of clothes. after we did machu picchu we flew to buenos aires and first thing we did was find a laundry mat and paid a few bucks to wash the stuff we hiked in.
3. multi use.. you should really only need 1 pair of shoes or boots, and maybe some flip flops to wear back at camp when done hiking
4. don't over think it...if you're like me, you usually wear jeans and a t shirt around town at home, why the hell bring 3 pairs of pants on a week long trip if you wear the same pair of jeans for multiple weeks?
5. for rain gear for machu picchu just bring a super compact poncho. for us at least, rain showers came and went, easier to deal with a poncho than putting rain pants on and off, that also takes up way less room. (bonus it can cover your backpack)
6. there is also zero way i'd want to deal with an airport locker..just saying
7. if you get somewhere and really find you need something, you can always buy it there..if you've got a credit card and a passport, you'll be fine.

i will also say this, and probably get laughed at by some of you guys but i don't care. i've got some shirts and shorts from lulu lemon are some of the most comfortable clothes i own...say all you want about how expensive they are, then look at what you spent on that kuiu shirt you wear 5 times a year :D

gbflyer

WKR
Catered to many a world traveler over the years. Always amazed me how light some people can travel. Of the minimal gear travel crowd, I always preferred those who went with the 3 changes of clothes plan. The others generally were quite offensive to the olfactory senses. They mightn’t have cared, but those around them sure did.