Headlamp color hiking in on an elk hunt

Widerd

FNG
Looking at a elk hunt in griz country and was wondering about getting to your glassing spot in the morning. Do you use a colored light while you are hiking into the area? Most Red and green lights I have seen are considerably dimmer than the main beam. Dang bears make me want to carry a spotlight and paint the hills. What do you do? Does a white light really spook game in your opinion?

hodgeman

WKR
I don't think white light bothers animals all that much. For what it's worth, poachers seem to do pretty well with a white spot light without spooking them.

Well if you're going to a "glassing" spot, you can use what ever you want.

I've glassed guys hiking right on the fringe of feeding areas, using awesome looking green and red lights. They might as well used white lights as they kicked anything in there out.

I personally hike in with green. It's my preferred color. I have used red and it isn't as "helpful" as a green one to me.

There are times I activated the white light as I got turned around and couldn't find a ground blind I had just made. And neither red or green helped me locate my locaters lol

With all that said, I try to make sure thermals (down) don't blow them out, as well as intruding on feeding areas in general. I never hike in that close to them knowingly anyway and I can wait for them to get to me, and hope at same time the thermals have switched by the time they get to me. I have it timed pretty decent.

Getnlost

FNG
For a glassing spot, white light is fine in my opinion. I would keep it on low unless you absolutely need it. If you where headed to a tree stand or a spot over bait, I would go with either color. I have had deer walk up to me, within 20 yards with my head lamp on full blast.

Red for me, I prefer to be as inconspicuous as possible...especially in the predawn hours.

Mosby

WKR
If I am hunting in bear country or if I know I am hunting in an area with a number of other hunters, I go with a bright white light. If I go early enough I don't think it impacts my hunting and in that environment, I want to see and be seen. If I am not hunting in bear country and/or I am not worried about other hunters, I prefer green lights. Easier on my eyes and provides enough light to get to where I am going.

oldgoat

WKR
I live in Colorado, I only use Black Lights to stay with the 4-20 lifestyle! It don't matter what color light you use, but it does matter where you walk!