Claude Dallas / Murder of 2 Idaho Fish & Game Officers Book

3forks

WKR
I recently finished a book on Audible that discusses the story of Claude Dallas killing two Idaho Fish and Game officers.

The book is titled "Give a Boy a Gun", by Jack Olsen.

For anyone who doesn't know the story - Google Claude Dallas.

Not only is the book well done, but I think many on Rokslide might find it interesting because of the parallels between the Claude Dallas story and events like the 2016 takeover of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Oregon.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Just read his Wikipedia info, looks like he is a free man today, wonder if he is back in ID or on Rokslide 🤔

OP

3forks

WKR
Just read his Wikipedia info, looks like he is a free man today, wonder if he is back in ID or on Rokslide 🤔

He's supposedly in Utah... He's a hero to some, and murderer to others.

As for Rokslide - that occurred to me too. The book describes Claude as a gun enthusiast, trapper, a capable survivalist, and well read. Claude would probably find a lot of the conversations on Rokslide interesting.

I recently finished a book on Audible that discusses the story of Claude Dallas killing two Idaho Fish and Game officers.

The book is titled "Give a Boy a Gun", by Jack Olsen.

For anyone who doesn't know the story - Google Claude Dallas.

Not only is the book well done, but I think many on Rokslide might find it interesting because of the parallels between the Claude Dallas story and the 2016 takeover of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Oregon.

I'm no scholar of either circumstance so, I would appreciate you high lighting the similarities that you refer to between these two situations. From my limited exposure and research, I couldn't really make those connections.

Listen to the Ian Tyson sing "Claude Dallas". The 7min 23 second version has some good pictures to go along with it. Ian Tyson is one of our famous Canadian singer/songwriters. Some of his other songs are good as well.

OP

3forks

WKR
I'm no scholar of either circumstance so, I would appreciate you high lighting the similarities that you refer to between these two situations. From my limited exposure and research, I couldn't really make those connections.

What I see as similarities between the two events are people choosing sides or a narrative based on their opinion of the government, its agencies, and the ability for a person to be able to make a living off of public lands.

I think it's a poor comparison. I don't agree with the Sagebrush Rebellion players, most notably the Bundy's. Clyde Dallas was just a loner and murderer--just popped the wardens when they showed up. No one but a couple complete whack-jobs thinks of him as a hero. It's not even worth mentioning.

That said, thanks for mentioning the book; I'm interested in reading it. My grandpa worked for as a land appraiser driving all over and his favorite place in the world is the Owyhees (where Dallas lived).

JWP58

WKR
Mr Dallas sounds like a piece of garbage that should've been executed for murdering two men doing their job. Anyone who thinks he's a hero is disturbed.

OP

3forks

WKR
I think it's a poor comparison. I don't agree with the Sagebrush Rebellion players, most notably the Bundy's. Clyde Dallas was just a loner and murderer--just popped the wardens when they showed up. No one but a couple complete whack-jobs thinks of him as a hero. It's not even worth mentioning.

That said, thanks for mentioning the book; I'm interested in reading it. My grandpa worked for as a land appraiser driving all over and his favorite place in the world is the Owyhees (where Dallas lived).

I consider Claude Dallas a murderer, too.

I think you'd be surprised at the amount of people who think what Claude Dallas did was justified. Again, I don't - but many people in the area where the event occurred stated that Bill Pogue was a violent bully, abused his badge, and made open threats against Claude Dallas. The book discusses this and it plays a large part in the trial.

Anyway, there's quite a bit of discussion on the internet of the event and the amount of people who support Claude Dallas is unbelievable.

I agree.

IF there is a significant amount of people out there that support what he did based on why 3forks said, then we got some serious problems out west. i highly doubt there are. People may have backed him up based on the way he was treated by the warden, they claims the warden made, the way the warden was, etc..... And, I'm sure there are some that connect the warden with government over reach. But, right is right and people as a whole aren't inherently bad just to be that way. There either has to be more to it or, we have a significant problem brewing.

JWP58

WKR
I consider Claude Dallas a murderer, too.

I think you'd be surprised at the amount of people who think what Claude Dallas did was justified. Again, I don't - but many people in the area where the event occurred stated that Bill Pogue was a violent bully, abused his badge, and made open threats against Claude Dallas. The book discusses this and it plays a large part in the trial.

Anyway, there's quite a bit of discussion on the internet of the event and the amount of people who support Claude Dallas is unbelievable.

Interesting. I guess it would be easy to smear a dead man who cant defend himself. Im assuming those who side with Dallas are looking for justification for their disdain for authority. I had hoped to go chukar hunting in the owyhees, but if this type of vigilante is common out that way....maybe not.

“After the initial gunfire, Dallas used his .22 caliber lever action rifle to shoot both officers execution style, once each in the head. He then threw Elms' body in a nearby river and, with the reluctant assistance of a friend, Jim Stevens, transported Pogue's body to a distant location, where he hid it in a coyote's den.” Real f’n hero. Disgusting.

JWP58

WKR
“After the initial gunfire, Dallas used his .22 caliber lever action rifle to shoot both officers execution style, once each in the head. He then threw Elms' body in a nearby river and, with the reluctant assistance of a friend, Jim Stevens, transported Pogue's body to a distant location, where he hid it in a coyote's den.” Real f’n hero. Disgusting.

Hard to believe that POS walks free today. Hopefully he gets what is coming to him at some point. As a poet once said, "a cancer will get him if anythings fair"

Hard to believe that POS walks free today. Hopefully he gets what is coming to him at some point. As a poet once said, "a cancer will get him if anythings fair"

Yep...with any luck he gets run over by a mini van in a strip mall parking lot and lives the rest of his life sucking a meal through a straw. Calling him a Disgusting POS would be too kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should feel very free to hunt in the Owyhees. I guess Dallas lives in Utah now. I've never heard of another similar character down there. It's not a breeding ground for them or anything.

RallySquirrel

Lil-Rokslider
Legend? No. Douche Bag? Yes. Read this on the Wiki page: "His escape enlarged the legend that he was a nomadic trapper whose life conflicted with the government. Dallas was captured outside a 7-Eleven convenience store in Riverside, California, in March 1987."

Nomadic trapper arrested outside a 7-Eleven for the murder or 2 LEO. Why aren't convicted murderers required to register their address the way convicted SO's are?

kicker338

WKR
Interesting. I guess it would be easy to smear a dead man who cant defend himself. Im assuming those who side with Dallas are looking for justification for their disdain for authority. I had hoped to go chukar hunting in the owyhees, but if this type of vigilante is common out that way....maybe not.

Don't think it's necessarily distain for authority but more of a distrust of authority. 3 cases here in Idaho that bring on distrust, 1 a small
one about a moose road kill near Sandpoint Id. fish&game declared it as unsalvageable, local restrunt owner checked, picked a little
good meat, leagel here and was going to do a dinner for the emploies. Warden shows up and tickets the guy for illegal game possession. Fish&game lost in court. 2 A trespass case brought by fish&game went all the way to the state supreme court, fish&game lost. 3 everyone knows this one, rubyridge, if ever there was a blatant of abuse of gov. authority this was it.

Last edited: