Yellowstone trip – first time advice for visiting and backpacking???

wytx

WKR
You might luck out and see Steamboat geyser erupt at Old Faithful basin.
Expect snow and maybe lots of it. If we get a heavy wet snow the roads and travel will be impacted, road closures.
Take a drive into Cody if possible and see the museum.
Bears are already out so that is another thing to keep in mind, bear spray.
Lots fewer folks that early so one positive.

OP
Desk Jockey
Bumping this up. 2weeks out form the trip. Wondering if anyone knows snow and trail conditions in the area. Thx.

Gutshotem

WKR
Well, I just found out I'm headed to Jackson hole on Friday(wife surprised me for my bday). I'll try to give you a weather update once I'm out there.

This will be my first trip as well so I'm thankfull that you started this thread as it's given me a quick reference since I won't really be able to plan much on my end with the short notice.

Not trying to hijack, but can anyone recommend the better of the steakhouses? My wife is steering me towards the white buffalo or Mil $ cowboy but I'm more of the Gun Barrel type.

wytx

WKR
Gun Barrel is good food.
Snow coming for the weekend so enjoy!!
You need to see the Million $ though.
Say hi to Kanye.

I got to stay at the old faithful
Inn and hat was fantastic. There is a private deck where you can sit with a beverage and watch the geyser... Much better!

Near grand prismatic spring (which is cooler than old faithful I think) was one of my favorite experiences. A short ish hike to Imperial geyser. Some foot traffic went to the waterfall along the way but we had the last leg of the hike completely to ourselves and got to walk down a boiling stream to a geyser all to ourselves that went off and spat and popped ever minute or so. Beautiful red, yellow and blue geyser about 35 feet all alone.

There was a lake on a trail between a fossilized tree and Roosevelt, that was a cool hike all to ourselves as well.

Other than that animal watching was fantastic. Biggest bull I've ever seen in Hayden valley, as well as 2 Grizzlies fighting in the river that flows through Hayden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk