Pat McManus

I remember reading his articles in OL or F&S in the 80's.
Always got a chuckle.
RIP woodsman

Gonewest

WKR
Sad news. He had a true gift to make people laugh out loud:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2ski

WKR
Man. He was a huge part of my outdoor education growing up. I loved the man's books. The self-deprecating humor. He was an outdoor idol. He was my first outdoor idol. He wrote in a way that was relatable. An Everyman of the outdoors.

When I became old enough for a playboy subscription, the jokes were where I opened each issue to first. Then I would go back to the beginning. (And yes read the articles) But that wasn't new for me. Because all my adolescent life I would get every Outdoor Life issue in the mail and flip to the back to read Patrick F. McManus before anything else.

Rest in piece.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
I have all his books.

Im sure there are a few here on Rokslide who had to Google 'Patrick McManus' to know who he was :)

jmden

WKR
Rest in peace, Pat. I hope he was ready to meet his Maker. Have hardly ever laughed so hard as when reading/listening to his books. I about drove off the interstate one day in northern Utah I was laughing so hard. Had to slow down and get ahold of myself. Can't remember the story but the family had gotten his books on CD from the library and we had a road trip down to Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce from NW Washington. Kept us laughing the whole time. Thanks, Pat!

ORHunter

WKR
South Cox reads him on his podcast.
Pat will be missed.

He was my favorite author when I was growing up. I read all of his books. I haven't read any in years but I listened to South reading one of his chapters over the weekend. I laughed out loud in traffic and it brought back a lot of good memories. I always quote him when fishing and someone asks what the limit is "all you can catch plus 1"

Sad day for sure!

NoWiser

WKR
RIP Pat. I can still remember exactly where I was sitting in the middle school library 22 years ago when I read my first ever McManus story. Over the next few years every birthday and Christmas list had a book of his on it until I collected them all. I pulled out one of them last night and read a few stories. They had me laughing just like when I was a teenager. Kid's these days have their iPhones, I had my McManus books.