BHA Rendezvous

Uh oh. Looks like I have to choose between being an alpinist (who wears patagonia) or a hunter. Well, this ruins my day.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Don’t forget to up to a lifetime membership to BHA. They needja biznesssss, bear ears was sold to some Russians/Trump lithium miners!!!!

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
shooting a few birds at a big money retreat doesn't make you a hunter. I believe it about as much as the story he also told of his teenage daughter ringing a deer's neck and trying to put it in the trunk of her car.
Geez, I bet you're fun at parties. Standing in the corner mumbling about how much everyone else sucks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
Dotman I get that just didn't know why all these people were excited about Patagonia being there

Maybe hopeful a lifetime membership gift option will be a patagonia set. Nothing like showing up to microbrew pint night decked in patagucci....

I was wondering what type of hunting this Patagonia fella partakes in, since i keep seeing that bha/gucci meme floating around Instagram. Didnt want to be labeled a hater though

Geez, I bet you're fun at parties. Standing in the corner mumbling about how much everyone else sucks.

I stand by what I said there is a big difference between shooting a few birds at a corporate retreat and big game hunting. Shooting some birds once every couple of years doesn't make you a hunter.

Hey sneaky if Yvon puts an ad in a Patagonia catalog with him and any big game animal that he shot I'll make a 500 donation to BHA in your name

I find this entire argument to be completely inane. You would have a very difficult time finding anyone to collaborate with if you are going to draw hard lines in the sand and exclude anyone that does not see or approach things in exactly the same manner you do.

I really don’t care if Yvon meets the stereo typical definition and/or image of what most on here think a hunter should be. That is not the point. The point is if preserving and protecting the public lands is important to you, then Patagonia is a worthy ally to bring to the table.

It appears some have a hard time making the distinction between collaborating with and supporting a group. I fail to see how BHA is “supporting“ Patagonia, when in fact Patagonia is the company supporting BHA’s message. Semantics? Maybe.

Buzz already hit on it above, but I will reiterate it because I think it is an incredibly important point. Hunters are such a small fraction of the population in the United States, we cannot afford to go to our own sandbox and wall everyone off who is not exactly like us. If we do, we become a very small voice and we will have very little representation. I am not in anyway saying that everyone who supports Patagonia will support hunting and see things exactly the same way I do, it isn’t going to happen.

If someone has issue with BHA, that’s fine. Argue argue it based on tangible actions and facts. There are enough out there that I’m sure you could find something they have done and or supported that you don’t like. Again that’s life, and I’m OK with it. I don’t like everything DU has done REMF has done and so on.

It is going to be one hell of a lonely fight in the future if we choose to exclude everyone we do not perceive as being a “Hunter“ and we make our own judgmental perceptions about whether they can or should be allowed to voice their opinion as a hunter.

There is absolutely nothing hypocritical about approaching a common goal with another group that does not see everything in the world the same as you do. Common ground is common ground, and if the end goal for that common ground is important enough, sometimes it’s OK to look past other differences to achieve that same goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because that's how you BUILD bridges, that you're too busy trying to burn.

Burn? Patagonia’s the one that started a tag buy back program designed to take tag opportunities away from hunters...

I can’t wait unti HSUS donates to BHA So Terry can give them a pro-hunting call out.

Who cares if he shoots a bear? I haven’t killed one in 18 years. I shoot more birds than anything anymore. Does that delegitimize my voice as a hunter?

Bears have a larger soul then a pheasant killed in the 60’s. Have you funded and created any tag buy back programs

Bears have a larger soul then a pheasant killed in the 60’s. Have you funded and created any tag buy back programs

You’re answering my question with a question. I haven’t killed a bear in 18 years. If and when grizzly hunts are legalized, I really have no desire in anyway, shape, or form to kill a grizzly bear. I have no desire to go on a sheep hunt and kill one of those. I killed a mountain goat 19 years ago, and really don’t care if I ever draw a goat tag again. Does that delegitimize my voice as a hunter?

I would wager I spend as many days afield as most on here. My point is, basing legitimacy as a hunter on what is dead in the photo (if there is one) is fools gold.

Also, if the bison tag buyback program is such a burr in your ass, I would suggest you send an email to Yvon and ask him directly what his motivation and goal was. The Montana bison hunt at that time was not a pretty endeavor and even I, as a hunter struggle with the image they put forth.

Also, if the bison tag buyback program is such a burr in your ass, I would suggest you send an email to Yvon and ask him directly what his motivation and goal was. The Montana bison hunt at that time was not a pretty endeavor and even I, as a hunter
struggle with the image they put forth.

Struggling and pushing for changes is different then trying to eliminate it. Big difference, point of my previous post. I seriously doubt you have pushed for the elimination of a hunt.

He isn’t a big game hunter, I’ve met him, he use to personally call on his specialty stores, now from a fishing standpoint, he truly walks the walk. I have the upmost respect for him as businessman(even said it before), and even as a conservationist, but His company is not via historical context in actions and donations pro hunting.

If he truly is trying to change that good, I’ll wait until actions speak louder then words, like I said he is a hell of a businessman

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Hunters are outnumbered in any legislative fight we are ever in. To simplify, approx 1 in 32 people in this country hunt. Of those other 31 people, 1 is virulently anti hunting, while the other 30 are indifferent. Yvon speaking at the BHA rendezvous certainly didn't sway those 30 to the antis side, and if it helps open up a path to dialogue between the hunting community and those in the middle, great. We need those 30 in the middle to support us, not voting against us.

Hunters are outnumbered in any legislative fight we are ever in. To simplify, approx 1 in 32 people in this country hunt. Of those other 31 people, 1 is virulently anti hunting, while the other 30 are indifferent. Yvon speaking at the BHA rendezvous certainly didn't sway those 30 to the antis side, and if it helps open up a path to dialogue between the hunting community and those in the middle, great. We need those 30 in the middle to support us, not voting against us.

Cool, then Per you thought process thier donations and corporate policy will no longer go against hunting.

Like I said we shall see, in the mean time he have historical actions, and enough to be ultra cautious with

I think it’s a valid question to ask if a Hunter is not a conservationist, is that a better ally than a conservationist who is not a hunter?

I think the answer to that would largely depend on what goal and mission you are trying to accomplish. If your mission is to accomplish the protection and preservation of public lands, then I think the answer is yes a conservationist who is not a hunter is likely a better ally than the hunter who is not a conservationist.

If that creates heartburn for anyone, so be it.

I think it’s a valid question to ask if a Hunter is not a conservationist, is that a better ally than a conservationist who is not a hunter?

I think the answer to that would largely depend on what goal and mission you are trying to accomplish. If your mission is to accomplish the protection and preservation of public lands, then I think the answer is yes a conservationist who is not a hunter is likely a better ally than the hunter who is not a conservationist.

If that creates heartburn for anyone, so be it.

It depends on The absolutism of being a BHA Conservationist. According to many of the BHA conservationists, if you believe in strict and governed multi use of public lands you aren’t a conservationist, and are nothing more then a mangy dog,

Riverdog

FNG
I mostly lurk here, but I'd like to point out one thing. The Patagonia tag buy back issue relates to the annual buffalo kill (hard to call it a hunt) that takes place as buffalo migrate out of Yellowstone National Park. This killing of buffalo is highly controversial and contrary to the conservation ethic that I think many of the people here subscribe to. Many hunters including myself are opposed to this buffalo kill, and the organized groups that are trying to end the buffalo slaughter are not against hunting, just against this particular process of killing buffalo that migrate outside the park, just because they are outside the park. The most vocal, some might say radical, group is the Buffalo Field Campaign (Buffalo Field Campaign: Working to Stop the Yellowstone Bison Slaughter). Check out their website. You won't see anything against hunting there. I don't love Patagonia but in this case they were righteous, and I don't recall ever seeing any anti hunting rhetoric from them.