BHA Rendezvous

Mtnboy

WKR
Who went? What did you think? Favorite part?

I saw Ryan and Tanya wandering around but didn't have a chance to say hi.

Pound for pound, one of the best "trade shows" I've been to, the quality of vendors is unparalleled...First Lite, Sitka, Kimber, Vortex, Maven, Stone Glacier, Seek Outside, Cooper Firearms, Patagonia, Hunt To Eat, Mystery Ranch, Leupold, Eberlestock, Benchmade, Exo, Argali, Stalker Stickbows, Wilderness Lite, Crispi, Heather's Choice among others, no junk, no gimmicks.

Beer, Bands & Public Lands on Friday was a great time 4,000+ people drinking great beer, listening to quality tunes and BSing about Public Lands, doesn't get much better. Campfire Stories on Saturday was pretty awesome as well. I was impressed by Yvon Chouinard, that guy has lived quite the life.

Tree Huggers & Hunters Unite: Patagonia Founder Joins BHA Rendezvous

Backcountry hunters and treehuggers find common ground on public lands | Idaho Statesman

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Tree Huggers and Hunters is VERY true. Out of all the shows, this one is the most unique. Lots of great people in the hunting industry.

PNWTO

Lil-Rokslider
Campfire Stories was worth the price alone. Fantastic weekend. Even during the cook off outside there were people coming up and asking my group about BHA, great time for friendship and ambassadorship.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Favorite part was hanging out with the Avery’s, of course!

Always great catching up with public land owners. Great venue, good beer fest, and my first (but not last) pizza cone.

Schaaf

WKR
I made the trip, drank a lot of beer and whiskey, met good people, and spent too much money.

Came home excited to keep fighting for public land hunters.

BuzzH

WKR
Best speaker by far was Yvon Chouinard, both the story telling and the water access seminar...definitely not afraid to speak his mind, always did like people like that.

BuzzH

WKR
I made the trip, drank a lot of beer and whiskey, met good people, and spent too much money.

Came home excited to keep fighting for public land hunters.

Never know who you'll bump into at these things...glad you made it home safe.

Was a great weekend.
The films and campfire stories were awesome.
I was surprised at how many federal agency folks I met amongst the crowd.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
I was there too! Always love Rendezvous. . . came home with a Weatherby Vanguard 6.5-300 too! That made for a more "interesting" airline trip home. Can't wait for next year!

amp713

WKR
Was my youngest sons first birthday and oddly enough the wife didn't want to do that for his birthday..... hoping to come next year!! I haven't made one yet...

Still don't understand why guys were so happy to see Patagonia there. Yeah they might be for public lands but they aren't for hunting or you on those public lands with guns. Just look at the orgs they donate to. Cascadia Wildlands, Predator Defense, and the Native Fish Society just to name a couple.

young7.3

WKR
Still don't understand why guys were so happy to see Patagonia there. Yeah they might be for public lands but they aren't for hunting or you on those public lands with guns. Just look at the orgs they donate to. Cascadia Wildlands, Predator Defense, and the Native Fish Society just to name a couple.

Because the public land issue is bigger than any one group or company, e.g., hunters, hikers, mountain bikers, bird watchers, etc. It's about looking past each groups' opposing views and working together to fight for the common ground among everyone.

Last edited:

Schism

WKR

I do not believe Patagonia is against my hunting on public lands, or my hunting on public lands with guns. I was at the Rendezvous and heard with my own ears Yvon Chouinard telling campfire stories about his hunting birds with a shotgun. Patagonia has an environmental focus but is not anti hunting or anti public lands. Please do not turn this into another “BHA is against guns” thread as that is patently false.

Last edited:
If you can't hunt public land is basically worthless. I do find it odd that BHA would not answer the AR-15 question on the other thread. Follow the money it doesn't lie. When 100s of thousands are being donated to anti-hunting groups I would not trust them as far as I could throw them.

We made the trip up for our first rendezvous and had a great time! Great to speak with some like-minded individuals and enjoy the films, stories, and beer. I hope to make it again next year.

Billinsd

WKR
If you can't hunt public land is basically worthless. I do find it odd that BHA would not answer the AR-15 question on the other thread. Follow the money it doesn't lie. When 100s of thousands are being donated to anti-hunting groups I would not trust them as far as I could throw them.
If I can't hunt public land, then public land is much less valuable to me. I like to follow the money too, and not listen so much to what people say as much as to watch their actions. It seems to me that Patagonia is not strongly anti hunting, or maybe they are feebly pro hunting, But maybe they are more pro anti hunting groups than pro hunting groups? The single issue only, public land hunters might have blinders on, since it seems to be all or nothing to them?

Last edited:
I agree most seem to have blinders on these days. Same as the REI thread a while back. I can't believe how many guys justified shopping at REI.

PNWTO

Lil-Rokslider
I agree most seem to have blinders on these days. Same as the REI thread a while back. I can't believe how many guys justified shopping at REI.

It sounds like you are blending a Public Lands issues with a 2nd Amendment issue. BHA doesn't need to answer an AR-15 question because it isn't in their corral. Personally, I like ARs but for the size, weight, and cost they are lackluster tools for a sportsman.

If I can't hunt on public lands that is a tragedy, but I still hike, climb, bike, fish, and generally enjoy nature on those lands. Patagonia and BHA have a whole ton of common ground, and quite a few differences; we shouldn't let 2A nuances muddy that. There are other organizations that reflect those values.