Colorado gear advice

I know it gets taked about on here a lot but gear constantly changes and new products come out often so let’s get some input.

I’m headed to southern Colorado the first week of September. Will be hunting 8500 to 10,000 ft of elevation. I will however take my ultralight tent just in case I need to camp up high if I’m in elk. My gear so far is:

Bow rigged out
First lite llano
First lite Chama
First light Allegheny
First lite obsidian pants
First lite wool balaclava
Asolo boots
Big Agnes fly creek 2
MSR pocket rocket and fuel x2
Halulite 1.1 L pot
Zeiss 10x42 binos
Leupold range finder

I know I’m lacking in gear and have more to add. This is what I’m thinking.

Kifaru Fulcrum and tactical frame (review wanted)
First aid kit (suggestions)
Game bags (suggestions)
Food (mountain house)
Water purifier of sorts (suggestions)
Good wool socks (suggestions)
Moisture wicking underwear (suggestions)
GPS (suggestions)
Para cord
Tyto knife
AGC cub max bino harness (would cub be better)
Wind detector
Sleeping pad (suggestions)
Sleeping bag (suggestions)

Also wanting to add a Sitka layering system to the list as well. First lite is decent but not durable in my experience with it so far. Their base layers are amazing though.

Anything else I need please chime in. Anywhere it says suggestions please offer up advice. Trying to go as light weight as possible on my gear as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jimbo V

WKR
I know it gets taked about on here a lot but gear constantly changes and new products come out often so let’s get some input.

I’m headed to southern Colorado the first week of September. Will be hunting 8500 to 10,000 ft of elevation. I will however take my ultralight tent just in case I need to camp up high if I’m in elk. My gear so far is:

Bow rigged out
First lite llano
First lite Chama
First light Allegheny
First lite obsidian pants
First lite wool balaclava
Asolo boots
Big Agnes fly creek 2
MSR pocket rocket and fuel x2
Halulite 1.1 L pot
Zeiss 10x42 binos
Leupold range finder

I know I’m lacking in gear and have more to add. This is what I’m thinking.

Kifaru Fulcrum and tactical frame (review wanted)
First aid kit (suggestions)
Game bags (suggestions)
Food (mountain house)
Water purifier of sorts (suggestions)
Good wool socks (suggestions)
Moisture wicking underwear (suggestions)
GPS (suggestions)
Para cord
Tyto knife
AGC cub max bino harness (would cub be better)
Wind detector
Sleeping pad (suggestions)
Sleeping bag (suggestions)

Also wanting to add a Sitka layering system to the list as well. First lite is decent but not durable in my experience with it so far. Their base layers are amazing though.

Anything else I need please chime in. Anywhere it says suggestions please offer up advice. Trying to go as light weight as possible on my gear as well.

Adventure medical kit (.5)

Had good results from Caribou wapiti bags others use Tag Bomb bags (search you’ll find feedback on both)

Water purifier I have used a few they are all a pain in the ass I’m looking at just going with a Steripen, might be worth a look.

GPS I have an Oregon 600 with topo works great. Since Garmin bought out Delorme there’s a GPS with topo maps integrated with InReach which is pretty sweet depending on your budget

Pad and bag, there’s lots of reviews I’m a cold sleeper so I have a 0 degree which is overkill but I sleep good

Colorado (even southern) can be downright nasty in september I would add a shell jacket and a puffy jacket.

OP
ddavis_1313
Adventure medical kit (.5)

Had good results from Caribou wapiti bags others use Tag Bomb bags (search you’ll find feedback on both)

Water purifier I have used a few they are all a pain in the ass I’m looking at just going with a Steripen, might be worth a look.

GPS I have an Oregon 600 with topo works great. Since Garmin bought out Delorme there’s a GPS with topo maps integrated with InReach which is pretty sweet depending on your budget

Pad and bag, there’s lots of reviews I’m a cold sleeper so I have a 0 degree which is overkill but I sleep good

Colorado (even southern) can be downright nasty in september I would add a shell jacket and a puffy jacket.

Thanks for the insight! Trying to figure out a layering system is a pain when you’ve never worn Sitka.

Jimbo V

WKR
Thanks for the insight! Trying to figure out a layering system is a pain when you’ve never worn Sitka.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/

One size up for Sitka has been my experience unless you want that form fitting eurohunter look

oldgoat

WKR
I love my obsidians when it's warm and dry, and cool and dry they were great too, but if it gets wet and cool or cold, I like the guide pants better or have some rain pants.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
For me, more than one Mountain House a day gets old quick, I like one for supper. Off Grid has some good breakfast and snack (or lunch) packages. Greenbelly has some snack bars or meal replacement bars. And of course the old peanut butter and bacon (or honey) on a tortilla is good for a couple lunches.

big44a4

WKR
Sea to summit comfort plus insulated on the pad. Won’t regret it.

OP
ddavis_1313
Sea to summit comfort plus insulated on the pad. Won’t regret it.

Bought a cheap foam one and it was the worse night of sleep I’d gotten in years!

hskrhntr

FNG
I'm a big fan of Kuiu guide pants. Got rained on for 2 days elk hunting last year. They dry out quick. Then warm afternoons they breathe pretty well.

I have a Katadyn water filter. Works well.

I recommend some Hot Hands packs. My feet get cold when I sleep so I put em in my socks. I sleep a lot better and wake up less that way.

Dried fruit. I like dried mangos a lot. Nice change of pace from MH.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Mountain house does start to get old. Several other brands out there to try as well.

First aid. Duct tape, cyanoacrylate glue, ibuprofen, some bandaids. You can do a lot with duct tape.

cheap sawyer squeeze converted to drip purification with a camelbak. Also use the drops.

I was very happy with my Klymit pad that I used last year.very compact and reasonably comfortable, and pretty cheap. DOn't remember which model right off the top of my head.

Smartwool merino hikers. Have had the same socks for 4 or 5 years. still going strong.

In my experience nearly every commercially available first aid kit is filled with 2-3 useful things and a load of crap. All conveniently stored in a padded pouch that weighs about 4x what it needs to. Build your own and stuff it in a kifaru UL pullout.

Consider adding a possibles pouch to your list that never leaves your side. Logic of such things and some starting ideas here: Possibles Pouch - The inside story (and yes the misspelled url is correct)

Game bags I use TAG

Food is a personal thing. I hate MH and instead use Alpine Aire primarily with a mix of other things. I tear all my meals apart, they go in zip locks and then into an xl kifaru pullout or two..I only take two of the rehydrate bags with me. Bunch of gels, bars, dried fruit as well as trail mixes of sorts go along. I generally pre-bag in snack sized ziplocks. I would encourage you to learn a bit about calorie and nutrition content of the foods you eat in the backcountry. I went on a high exertion (even for a back country hunt) trip some years back and despite 14 lbs of food in my pack, I shed 12 lbs in five days...NOT good. I pack veeeerrrry different things now.

Water - I never carry more than the bottle I'm drinking. I have steripen, tablets, and sawyer straw that go with me (be aware that you cannot use Sawyer straw if it freezes !!!)

I use an EE Quilt and a nemo pad under a tarp for sleep chamber. I sleep cold and bought accordingly...know whether you are hot or cold sleeper and plan for that.

Bino harness is personal preference. If you've never used one, be aware that AGC is a fantastic product and can be like having a backpack on your chest. Harnesses are a very personal thing...AGC, Outdoor Vision, FHF, Badlands, KUIU all good. Outdoor Vision is a sponsor here, not sure about the others.

Clothing is a personal thing too. It has taken me 3-4 trips to come up with a layering system I like and to know how much clothing is too much vs not enough. I wear: Timberline Pants, have kuiu merino base. Top layers: short sleeve synthetic, 145 merino LS base, some sort of insulating layer (compressible sythetic something-or-other) + puffy and shell. No soft shell.

As for pack, Kifaru is a good place to start and it will depend on your organization system as to what you like. Nearly all packs on the market are just a giant black hole you shove your stuff in and it drives me nuts. I've settled on two different systems depending on how long I'll be out. Nomad + camp bag for long trips. Woodsman + pockets and lid for up to 4 days.

One important thing to understand: Many of us have a highly refined system of all sorts of odds and ends that we've tweaked over multiple seasons. You'll forget something, you'll carry too much, you'll wish you had this or that. Just relax and enjoy and make notes for the next trip. It's a process.

If you've got the bling for all the top shelf gear, and you plan on repeat performances in the future, then great - buy once cry once. That said, although it can get downright nasty in September in CO, the chances of it being so in southern CO the first week of September are rather slim. From experience I can tell you there is a greater chance of you hunting in a t-shirt wishing you had brought shorts to hunt in than needing a lot of cold weather gear. It sounds like you will be car camp based, but hunting with enough gear that you can strike a back country camp if you need/want to? How far do you see yourself hunting from your base? Depending on those answers, some of the gear you are looking at is probably overkill - unless of course you have the resources and/or plan on having more of these adventures in the future. If resources are an issue, in my opinion you may find your money better spent taking a scouting trip there late summer and exploring the area and your gear than say buying a new kifaru pack and frame (don't get me wrong, I have one and like it very much!) and a new GPS (I now use an app with my phone). Just my 2 cents. Most importantly, good luck and have fun!

OP
ddavis_1313
If you've got the bling for all the top shelf gear, and you plan on repeat performances in the future, then great - buy once cry once. That said, although it can get downright nasty in September in CO, the chances of it being so in southern CO the first week of September are rather slim. From experience I can tell you there is a greater chance of you hunting in a t-shirt wishing you had brought shorts to hunt in than needing a lot of cold weather gear. It sounds like you will be car camp based, but hunting with enough gear that you can strike a back country camp if you need/want to? How far do you see yourself hunting from your base? Depending on those answers, some of the gear you are looking at is probably overkill - unless of course you have the resources and/or plan on having more of these adventures in the future. If resources are an issue, in my opinion you may find your money better spent taking a scouting trip there late summer and exploring the area and your gear than say buying a new kifaru pack and frame (don't get me wrong, I have one and like it very much!) and a new GPS (I now use an app with my phone). Just my 2 cents. Most importantly, good luck and have fun!

Will be truck based and will be scouting in late July. I prefer to buy once and cry once as this will be one of several trips to come as long as the good lord is willing to allow me to go. I’d say 2 miles as a crow flies will be max distance from truck. However, there may be 2-3 valleys between me and the truck. I’m fortunate to have a place that almost always has elk in it that time of year.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated when it comes to gear and clothing as I am completely new to western hunting. Budget isn’t a big issue but I will still be trying to bargain shop. And I’ve been in the gym since February in order to prepare so fitness won’t be as big of an issue. (Still gonna kick my arse I’m sure)

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
For clothes I would only add a puffy and a rain shell on top. If your strictly truck camping, you could probably leave the puffy but that would depend on how warm you normally run. I find myself running around in just the Chama more then anything. On the bottom id look at a pant that is maybe slightly heavier, I love the kuiu attacks. I just got a pair of the Obsidions and don't see them replacing the attacks as my mountain pant. Rain pant bottoms probably arn t needed if your wearing a good technical pant. I like the First Lite Dobson boxers.

I run a Sawyer filter inline on my water bladder hose. I've done that the last 2 years and love it. Used a Hiker Pro before that, it's also a good filter if you want a pump. I like the water bladders that open completely on one end for filling, I use the Source bladder but there are others. With this system it takes me about 1 min to load up with water.

Probably can't go wrong with a Kifaru, Stone Glacier, or Exo when it comes to packs. Pick the bag style you like best and go. If you can try some on that's even better.

I've been happy with Tag bomb bags but keep in mind they are for a BONED OUT elk.

I'm looking for a new sleeping bag right now too. My research has me pretty much settled on a Kifaru since I want a synthetic.

For GPS I used ONx on my phone last year along with a paper map and compass. I was happy with ONx and nice to have all that capability without an addition piece of gear.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
ddavis_1313
For clothes I would only add a puffy and a rain shell on top. If your strictly truck camping, you could probably leave the puffy but that would depend on how warm you normally run. I find myself running around in just the Chama more then anything. On the bottom id look at a pant that is maybe slightly heavier, I love the kuiu attacks. I just got a pair of the Obsidions and don't see them replacing the attacks as my mountain pant. Rain pant bottoms probably arn t needed if your wearing a good technical pant. I like the First Lite Dobson boxers.

I run a Sawyer filter inline on my water bladder hose. I've done that the last 2 years and love it. Used a Hiker Pro before that, it's also a good filter if you want a pump. I like the water bladders that open completely on one end for filling, I use the Source bladder but there are others. With this system it takes me about 1 min to load up with water.

Probably can't go wrong with a Kifaru, Stone Glacier, or Exo when it comes to packs. Pick the bag style you like best and go. If you can try some on that's even better.

I've been happy with Tag bomb bags but keep in mind they are for a BONED OUT elk.

I'm looking for a new sleeping bag right now too. My research has me pretty much settled on a Kifaru since I want a synthetic.

For GPS I used ONx on my phone last year along with a paper map and compass. I was happy with ONx and nice to have all that capability without an addition piece of gear.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Good stuff! I’m so confused on filtration systems and need to do more research. I need a puffy bc I am usually warm until I sit still for a while like glassing. And I’d rather have it and not need it than be stuck miles from the truck and freezing

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
Kifaru Slick bag is a great bag, I have several different bags in various temp ratings and I almost always find myself grabbing the 0 degree Slick bag if I'm backpacking.

Kifaru Lost Park parka is hands down my favorite puffy, so much so that I recently paid for the full zip version as well, again, I have several different puffy type jackets and I always end up with the Lost Park in my pack.

Katadyn and MSR both make great filters but I now use the Steripen classic almost exclusively, I also pack the pills in as backup

I run the AGC CUB, but word of caution, the buckles that come with it suck, I bought aftermarket auto locks and it's a great, I honestly don't notice the weight if I have it adjusted right. Another intriguing bino harness that I've been looking at is the SoloHunter one, pretty low profile and lightweight, only problem is I like to keep some fire starter, a Tyto, and my purifying pills in my bino harness and I don't know if the Solo has enough room

GPS I run a Garmin Dakota 20, don't know if they even make them anymore and I wouldn't buy it again if they do, it's a battery hog, if you remember to shut it off every time it may last longer but I always forget at least once. We're talking two AA's per day if you forget and leave it on.

Food, there's way better food out there than Mountain House, don't punish yourself by eating that stuff:D

First Aid, build your own kit, most of mine is blister prevention and treatment with some more serious wound care stuff mixed in and always some ibuprofen and Benadryl

Make sure those boots are what you need, that's one of your lifelines up there and they are a very personal choice, mix those with some good socks, I don't shy away from spending a little more on Darn Tough or Smartwool, the new Gore Socks are pretty legit too if you can ever find them, but again socks are a personal preference, I'd try a bunch of different ones while you're out here scouting.

I think I've probably said enough but if you want advice on Sitka stuff I have run the gamet on that gear too, let me know if you want a dissertation

OP
ddavis_1313
Kifaru Slick bag is a great bag, I have several different bags in various temp ratings and I almost always find myself grabbing the 0 degree Slick bag if I'm backpacking.

Kifaru Lost Park parka is hands down my favorite puffy, so much so that I recently paid for the full zip version as well, again, I have several different puffy type jackets and I always end up with the Lost Park in my pack.

Katadyn and MSR both make great filters but I now use the Steripen classic almost exclusively, I also pack the pills in as backup

I run the AGC CUB, but word of caution, the buckles that come with it suck, I bought aftermarket auto locks and it's a great, I honestly don't notice the weight if I have it adjusted right. Another intriguing bino harness that I've been looking at is the SoloHunter one, pretty low profile and lightweight, only problem is I like to keep some fire starter, a Tyto, and my purifying pills in my bino harness and I don't know if the Solo has enough room

GPS I run a Garmin Dakota 20, don't know if they even make them anymore and I wouldn't buy it again if they do, it's a battery hog, if you remember to shut it off every time it may last longer but I always forget at least once. We're talking two AA's per day if you forget and leave it on.

Food, there's way better food out there than Mountain House, don't punish yourself by eating that stuff:D

First Aid, build your own kit, most of mine is blister prevention and treatment with some more serious wound care stuff mixed in and always some ibuprofen and Benadryl

Make sure those boots are what you need, that's one of your lifelines up there and they are a very personal choice, mix those with some good socks, I don't shy away from spending a little more on Darn Tough or Smartwool, the new Gore Socks are pretty legit too if you can ever find them, but again socks are a personal preference, I'd try a bunch of different ones while you're out here scouting.

I think I've probably said enough but if you want advice on Sitka stuff I have run the gamet on that gear too, let me know if you want a dissertation

Man thanks for the detailed info. It’s helped quite a bit. Im pretty convinced on the boots as I logged well over 30 miles on them during whitetail season. Had to change out the inserts but they are back to comfortable. I’m a little torn on a pack with a meat shelf vs without and am looking at stone glacier packs as well. (Meat shelf and slim design). Yes I’d love to hear about Sitka and your input on different set ups for layering. I’ve layered for hunting before but not in the mountains. Mainly short hikes in and sitting all day.

Nuke Man

WKR
Food and clothes are where you'll over pack for your first time out. Get your food dialed in at home. I like a protein powder type breakfast with snacks up until dinner. My go to dinners are either a dried soup mix or Ramen bombs (Google it). Pick a pack you like, my opinion they are all equally good and equally suck with a bunch of weight. Pad, I prefer the simplicity of a z lite pad and I use a Mountain Hardware Lamina Z flame bag that is synthetic on the bottom and down on the top.