Idaho is now CLOSED.............

Tag_Soup

WKR
Well, I don't know if i'll be adding to the problem or helping it, but I just found out I'll be relocating to the Boise area in July! I grew up there and have only been away for 4 long years...It will be good to finally be home!

P.S. - No liberalism will be relocating with me :cool:

According to our local news Ada and Canyon county are expected to reach 1 million by 2040. That's another 250,000-300,000 people.

KurtR

WKR
some times i complain about good ol Sodak but thread like this make me appreciate it. Only 761063 people in the whole state. i am 100 miles from the nearest walmart that is how i give people perspective.

NDGuy

WKR
some times i complain about good ol Sodak but thread like this make me appreciate it. Only 761063 people in the whole state. i am 100 miles from the nearest walmart that is how i give people perspective.

But us out here in the Dakotas, (North Dakota at least) can't even draw a tag for big game in our own state anyways. Takes 3+ years to draw a WT buck, 6+ for muley, Antelope 7+, Muzzleloader 10 points to get to a 25% chance. It's pretty bleak here big game wise..

Mismanagement, bad winters, and loss of 20 million acres of CRP will do that.

IdahoElk

WKR
Not trying to be argumentative, but overall population growth is not really a problem anymore in the US or most of the world. I can see where it may be a problem in certain locales mentioned here, but that's mainly due to migration of people from one state to another.

A lot of countries (the US included) are having economic problems due demographics - the population is aging and we don't have enough economically productive people to support the aged population who are not working anymore. Birthrates have gone down and that exacerbates the problem. We don't have enough people to fill jobs, our unemployment rate is very low historically which is crimping our economic growth. IMO we need more immigrants to fill these jobs given the decline in birthrates and the aging of the population.

Sorry to go off on a tangent. I know some of you will disagree - I respect your opinion.

Wish I could send all the illegals we have here to Wisconsin to help your old folks out.

Billinsd

WKR
Probably true, I think your on the right track there. But I will say I disagree with your opinion of millennials probably because I am one. We're expected to pay for college tuition that has risen 50% in cost in 10 years for jobs that have not risen in wages significantly in relation to inflation since the 80's. Wages overall need to increase as the rich get richer and the middle class shrinks. Its harder today for young people to buy a house and afford kids (let alone hunting gear!) than it was decades ago. I have no issues with people coming here (or moving to my state for that matter) as long as they work hard and do so legally.
Parents gotta pay college costs, or students are screwed. Watch the Ivy Towers Documentary it will make you scream!!! I got about $1,000,000 in my 401k set aside for my 2 kids college, that I can access soon. Millenials have their parents to blame for them and the education system. Of course they are not all bad. I'm real tough on my kids, because my parents grew up in Roosevelt's great depression. My wife is from Peru and her parents survived huge inflation in 70s. My kids gotta be prepare to survive and hopefully prosper in a real hard world where the US is declining. There's absolutely, positively, nothing wrong with rich people, because they are rich. They are generally great people, they are the business owners. There are a handful of evil, powerful men, like George Soros and others that have a strong influence. We also lost capitalism about 100 years ago with Theodore and Franklin Roosevelt, and Woodrow Wilson. We have crony capitalism now, with a hugely powerful government. The problem is the government. Everything they touch turns to poo. They are supposed to work for us, we are not supposed to be their subjects. Look around the world and at history for reference.

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
But us out here in the Dakotas, (North Dakota at least) can't even draw a tag for big game in our own state anyways. Takes 3+ years to draw a WT buck, 6+ for muley, Antelope 7+, Muzzleloader 10 points to get to a 25% chance. It's pretty bleak here big game wise..

Mismanagement, bad winters, and loss of 20 million acres of CRP will do that.

your guys deer system does suck. I get east and west river tags with my rifle. Mule deer every other year west river rifle. Should get my state wide any deer tag with muzzle loader this year and now that i picked a bow up will have more opportunity to chase deer and goats with that. We can get a goat tag pretty much every year to for the rifle. Then add in the ducks geese and up land birds go out west for a week the fall flys by pretty fast. Then its ice fishing and predator hunting now the its spring fishing and turkey hunting out in the black hills.

AdamW

WKR
Nice conservative states with affordable costs of living, modest property and state income taxes, low crime, and decent jobs as a result of business friendly political climates are all feeling the crunch as liberals flee the states they’ve ruined and begin metastasizing in our formerly great places. (Sorry for the run on, product of public schools)

Signed, Dusgruntled, formerly proud Coloradan

I was going to say "Sounds like Colorado". I love visiting CO for vacations, etc. and we have considered moving there several times. I'm not a red vs blue guy, but I look at "freedom" as a top priority along with the way things seem to be trending for any potential moves for dang sure. It really is a shame as great places start to turn in to California Lite.

NDGuy

WKR
your guys deer system does suck. I get east and west river tags with my rifle. Mule deer every other year west river rifle. Should get my state wide any deer tag with muzzle loader this year and now that i picked a bow up will have more opportunity to chase deer and goats with that. We can get a goat tag pretty much every year to for the rifle. Then add in the ducks geese and up land birds go out west for a week the fall flys by pretty fast. Then its ice fishing and predator hunting now the its spring fishing and turkey hunting out in the black hills.

Can I move south with you guys?

I bought my Tikka 6 YEARS AGO and have shot 1 deer in ND with it. I apply in 2I which is predominantly farmland ha.

Takem

WKR
I can see the OP's frustration. Being from California and living here all my life in Northern California I have seen just how much its changed in what was once a great area to live in. We saw an influx of people from Southern California and the Bay Area move in and housing costs skyrocket and now an invasion of homeless people due to all the free programs for the homeless Redding provides. There isnt a single day I dont drive around and see countless homeless people passed out on the sidewalks or on the lawns around the shopping centers. I want to get the hell out of this state! I have to say though that while I understand the frustration, I'd think that hunters and other conservatives would want fellow hunters to come in and at least try to balance things out. Just my 2 cents.

ReddingArcher has it right. You should be begging Rokslider types to move there. It may seem counterintuitive but if you want to keep your way of life you need more people like you in the state. If not you'll end up with your wildlife run by ant-hunters like we have.

KurtR

WKR
Can I move south with you guys?

I bought my Tikka 6 YEARS AGO and have shot 1 deer in ND with it. I apply in 2I which is predominantly farmland ha.

Sure come on down. I think it is easier for you to draw a nr tag for here than a resident one up there. Most all of my hunting is done on public land to. The gfp do a great job with the walk in program

Gobbler36

WKR
Fn sucks
Even though I moved here from Florida. I thought we were moving somewhere where it was small town and kind of unheard of
Now I get sick thinking that more and more people move here everyday. Hypocritical I know but I don’t really care I moved cause my company asked me to, people should stay and fight for where they are already at instead of overcrowding the next great place.

SWOHTR

WKR
I moved to Idaho on a whim in 2015 as an instructor at an ROTC Unit. Best decision I think I've ever made! My (now wife) told people when we were dating that I was "from California" and I told her "NEVER EVER tell anyone from here (ID) that. I am from WISCONSIN. I am in the military and was stationed in California, hence the CA plates." She didn't know what the big deal was...now she does though, and I registered by truck in ID within the first three months living here. Unfortunately, we have to leave this year and head back to California. I'm very curious to see how the state has changed...I'll be in the San Diego area again.

FWIW, I am from Wisconsin (IMO the greatest state in the Union but the west has forever captured me). I lived in IL for four years in college (almost the worst state in the Union, definitely in the bottom three). Then CA for four years after that. ID has been by far the best experience and I can easily see why people want to move here: not crowded, recreation opportunities, dark skies at night and you can actually see the stars. I can also see why it would drive some people nuts: at times excessively conservative government, a lot of rural areas might as well be dumps, and there's a lot of xenophobia. My coworker had two roommates from Tahoe, CA who planned on living the outdoor ID life; within two months they were headed back to Tahoe.

I do think that the unfortunate reality is purely population growth. Few areas aren't feeling it (maybe IL? blah); even WI is growing. When I was visiting family six months ago I couldn't believe how big the Madison area has gotten.

We'll be heading back this way within the next ten years. Maybe not ID - maybe eastern WA. Job dependent. We will see. Regardless, I love ID and am very happy to have had the three year opportunity to live here.

Gobbler36

WKR
This is gonna sound cruel but we just need a huge cleanse as long as it doesn’t effect my family to take out half the population and the rest can actually have a better quality of life with half the people around.

Kinda of joking but this is what selfishly comes in my mind when I go the DMV in Boise.

WRO

WKR
Come to Portland, Seattle, or the bay area if you want to see how good liberalism doesn't work..

Homeless, drugs, scared police, etc.

You can take your nanny state greater good bullshit and shove it straight up your ass..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Billinsd

WKR
Spot on. I paid for my own college. No grants nothing. BA and MS. NOTHING was handed to me. My family was 100% unable to help with tuition. I forged my own path coming from a family with NO college education. It was hard then and hard now. The strong will rise to the top and succeed. Others are left saying how hard and unfair everything is. I teach this lesson to my young kids frequently.
I was in a similar situation, except my dad graduated from USC and I grew up very privileged and spoiled until I graduated high school and my dad lost everything and then died. Extremely rude awakening for me and I survived. Today is wildly different than it was for me in the 80s. It's not recognizable at all. I probably couldn't do it. College has changed drastically for the worst. Costs have soared. Its much, much harder for college students to get jobs with all the competition from illegals. Watch this, it's disgusting!!!! IVORY TOWER (2014) Official HD Trailer Premiere - YouTube

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
I tell my kids to study hard and they've taken lots of online enrichment classes. My daughter begged me to help her get into an honors math class in 6th grade. My wife and I talked the principal and he and the math teacher thought we were presuring my daughter. They offered to give my daughter a free online math class to get ahead in the summer to get into advanced math in the fall. After the last day of the spring class I was informed that the summer class was over 2 weeks after it started. They paid for my daughters math teacher to grade her homework and tests and she must have changed her mind. They renigged on us. One of the hardest things was to tell my daughter what a cowardly dope her Pakistani born Principal was. I found an online Stanford Gifted and talented math program and over the summer my daughter learned a year of math and tested well enough to get into the advanced math class. The school only had one advanced math class for each grade, so there was fierce competition to get into that class.

I tried to get my daughter into an elite high school in San Diego and she got into one of the three best ones. The only problem is that even though we qualified for financial aid, the school did not have enough to give us, or thought other families more needy. The tuition is $34,000 per year, plus books and other expenses. I tried to figure out how to pay for it, but it didn't work, plus I have another kid. To take out money from my 401k and get hit with early withrawal, and taxes is too much. Plus I figure she will get better grades at a public charter school that will make it easier getting into a prestigious college and getting a great education, which is so important these days, more than ever. Look at Japan, look at Europe that's where we are headed.

Last edited: