Idaho is now CLOSED.............

IdahoElk

WKR
Two co-workers looked at Boise last summer and where put off at all the tract housing and how close together the houses are. Just like California, they said. The one guy is leaning towards Oregon.

Did they look anywhere else in Idaho? where in Oregon are they looking.

IdahoElk

WKR
Californians like me that have hundreds and hundreds of thousands don't need a boom or best to move. A real estate boom here is sure helpful, though. Lots are retirees leaving to a tax friendlier place and to get more for their money. Younger and or people who can't afford a house or a nice one are moving to another state. However, Idaho and Utah have really, really poor wages. That's why I haven't left California yet. The land owners and developers in Utah and Idaho are copying the California model and are packing people into shiny, tiny, miniature subdivisions, with gigantic malls, and duck ponds to walk or ride your bike around. My inlaws live in Utah at Daybreak and although it's pretty, I grimace everytime I visit them. They love Salt Lake City, Park City, Sun Valley, and Grand Junction. I mean they love these places, especially the touristy parts They don't get more than 50 feet off the paved road. They complain that Utah is too crowded, from their designed, shoehorned tight, planned community with streets that have barely enough room for two way traffic, and lots the size of postage stamps, with 8x10 foot yards. However, the duck pond is to die for, as is the view of the Copper mine in the summer. Not my cup of tea. I'll buy a run down old house with some land and few neighbors, thank you very much!!

Have you ever been to Sun Valley? it's nothing like you described.

sneaky

"DADDY"
No kidding. Basing one's opinion of Idaho off of a trip to Boise is doing the rest of the state a disservice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider

And just think Bill, for slightly more than what you would pay for a postage stamp property in Boise, you could rent someone's converted garage in Sun Valley! Not only that, there are numerous job opportunities at the resort that pay upwards of $12-15 / hr!

In all seriousness though, I love the Wood River Valley and have a lot of family history there between mining and herding sheep. If there were any jobs there that would allow me to afford it, I would move there in a heartbeat.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
No kidding. Basing one's opinion of Idaho off of a trip to Boise is doing the rest of the state a disservice.

Frankly, I think the more people that base their opinion of Idaho off what they can see from I-84, the better.

Billinsd

WKR
Did they look anywhere else in Idaho? where in Oregon are they looking.
I misspoke, lol. My memory and comprehension has gone to hell !!! I got a lot on my plate too.... LOL

One co-worker looked into living in Boise and didn't like it and is considering Oregon. The other co-worker has a rental house in Boise, his son lives in Boise and his parents live by Soda Springs. His parent's have had a house in Idaho since the 70's.

Billinsd

WKR
My first time in Sun Valley was 45 years ago and I've been there several times since then, elk hunting and skiing. However, I haven't been to Sun Valley in 20 years. It's always "seemed" real touristy and very popular with the rich and famous. So, Sun Valley is not touristy anymore? Are there tract homes everywhere instead of huge mansions?

Billinsd

WKR

Absolutely!! What kind of person would do that, that's not very logical.

Billinsd

WKR
And just think Bill, for slightly more than what you would pay for a postage stamp property in Boise, you could rent someone's converted garage in Sun Valley! Not only that, there are numerous job opportunities at the resort that pay upwards of $12-15 / hr!

In all seriousness though, I love the Wood River Valley and have a lot of family history there between mining and herding sheep. If there were any jobs there that would allow me to afford it, I would move there in a heartbeat.
Right, that's would I would expect after the last time I was there 20 years ago!!! In fact Ketchum was a more down to earth town and I know a guy at work that grew up there. However, he is liberal did not like hunting (the killing part) and is more at home in a big city. Last time I elk hunted out of Germania Creek, before the wolves, a long time ago my hunting buddy and I found a shivering old man at our camp. He was in the first states of hypothermia. Him and his daughter were out hiking and had NO IDEA what we were doing, what elk where or that you could hunt them. They were ill prepared and not prepared for the rain. I think I asked him a couple of times "Are you sure you are from Ketchum", because elk hunting was a big surprise to him. We probably saved his life by warming him up in our tent and gave him a good impression of hunters. Sun Valley and Ketchum are Idaho anamolies to me. Totally different than the rest of Idaho to me.

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
Frankly, I think the more people that base their opinion of Idaho off what they can see from I-84, the better.
I agree. Most people never get off the paved road. My inlaws in Utah think all of Idaho is like Twin Falls and Sun Valley. I can't really imagine how much it's grown in 20 years. However, I remember Idaho as extremely rural, both north and south. The people in Southern Idaho that were friendly, who I hunted with, and stayed in their houses were transplants from Northern Idaho, Eastern Washington. The southern Idahoans seemed to really take a long time to warm up. Even though I loved the area and was an avid hunter excited to talk to people about hunting I felt like a total outsider. The transplants I met felt the same way. It's probably changed a lot, or maybe not?

Billinsd

WKR
Hell, I don't really know where I will move to when I retire. I've been all over the West. Each place has it's pluses and minuses. One thing is for sure, I love to travel around a lot. I think Southern Utah or Salt Lake City outside in some more rural area is good, because so many places are close, like Wyoming, Idaho, Nevada and Montana.....

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
You might not recognize Twin Falls. Other than that, not much has changed. We're still generally very suspicious of non-residents and transplants, regardless of whether or not they hunt, and we're very protective of areas we hunt and fish. Heck, I have lifelong friends that won't tell anyone, including me, where they hunt beyond maybe which unit. A couple salty quotes from an old friend:

"Anyone who asks how the fishing is, is an idiot, and anyone who says anything other than 'slow' is a bigger idiot."

"I spent my life hunting and fishing. He spent his making money. We both reaped the fruits of our labor. Why should I give him a shortcut?"

Billinsd

WKR
You might not recognize Twin Falls. Other than that, not much has changed. We're still generally very suspicious of non-residents and transplants, regardless of whether or not they hunt, and we're very protective of areas we hunt and fish. Heck, I have lifelong friends that won't tell anyone, including me, where they hunt beyond maybe which unit. A couple salty quotes from an old friend:

"Anyone who asks how the fishing is, is an idiot, and anyone who says anything other than 'slow' is a bigger idiot."

"I spent my life hunting and fishing. He spent his making money. We both reaped the fruits of our labor. Why should I give him a shortcut?"
That's the Idaho I REMEMBER!!! :D I wondered why the salesmen at the sporting goods store in Twin Falls and the guy behind the counter at the store in Wendel gave me such dirty looks when I asked how the hunting was!!! LOL I was just being friendly and making conversation. I never got that kind of reaction in Utah or Colorado. In Utah I'd get offers to take me hunting from the guy at the 7 eleven with his family.

IdahoElk

WKR
My first time in Sun Valley was 45 years ago and I've been there several times since then, elk hunting and skiing. However, I haven't been to Sun Valley in 20 years. It's always "seemed" real touristy and very popular with the rich and famous. So, Sun Valley is not touristy anymore? Are there tract homes everywhere instead of huge mansions?

I was responding to the track home part,here(SV) the track homes are 8,000sq/ft and cost $5mil,ha!
Yeah it's touristy for a few months out of the year, as you know that's what supports our economy but I live a few miles south in Hailey which is just regular everyday America,sort of :)

Billinsd

WKR
I saw some of those $5 mill homes about 20 years ago. They revival the best houses I've seen in Southern California. Last time I skied Sun Valley I saw Arnold Swarzeneger and his wife Maria in the 90s with their kids. No one in the world looks like him, and he's not real tall. I've never, ever, ever seen such a fancy, shmancy restroom as the one at the Sun Valley Lodge. I was giggling when a guy came in and tiddied up everytime someone used the restroom.

I remember Hailey was the closest airport. Doesn't Bruce Willis live in Hailey? Hailey has really changed too, hasn't it?

I remember driving around north of Wendel in the Mountains and all that area way south of Sun Valley, real steep, real rugged. Not many towns, real rural. Really, really remote I remember.

I'm going back up there with the family sometime soon. I don't really want to go to Sun Valley, though. I like hitting the tiny towns and hanging with the regular people, who are my people. Idaho is like how America used to be!!!