New (Used) Hunting truck

Billinsd

WKR
I see lots of recommendations for a locker. My recommendation would be for a selectable locker, automatic style lockers can add driveability/poor handling especially on slick roads, depending on vehicle wheelbase, weight, and transmission.
Absolutely, you don't want your differential locked all the time. Hell no, not me. Great point.

Billinsd

WKR
get a Taco and be done with it,anything under 300k,ha! I have a 4runner with 275k and I can't kill the thing.
Have you replaced the motor mounts, coil packs, catalytic converter if your unfortunate to live in such a state, wheel bearings, fuel pump, water pump, starter, alternator, head gasket? Those things can add up.

Billinsd

WKR
True about the Tacoma's and any cars if you don't do maintenance and change fluids the car will not last. Not even a Honda.

Bobbyboe

WKR
No offense Billinsd, but you’re a bit redicilous. Yes, standard maintenance is needed on a Toyota, but the items you keep listing only need to be addressed if they fail. That being said, those items rarly fail.

You sound a bit aggressive when asking people if they replaced those parts. For a Toyota owner the overwhelming answer will be, no, they have not been replaced because they don’t need to be. Yes every vehicle needs breaks, rotors, timing belt adjustment and eventually fluids flushed. That stuff is standard maintenance , bottom line. Beyond that repairs are rare in a Toyota.

Buy what you want, and I’ll buy what I want. Fact is, independent studies show that Toyota and Lexus are the most reliable used vehicles available.

duchntr

WKR
Mostly good advice so far, id look at tacos and tundras and find the lowest mileage one as possible under 100k. Don't be in a rush to find the right rig, but when you find a deal jump on it. As far as offroad mods you could really go down a rabbit hole, but first put some aggresive A/Ts or muds on it. Then a good suspension (icon,king,radflo). Keep recovery gear in the rig (chains, come along or winch, snatch block, straps etc. Everyone will eventually get a lemon, it happens, but far and away Toyota has a very good reputation for a reason, same cannot be said for chevy, ford and Chrysler.

Billinsd

WKR
You sound a bit aggressive when asking people if they replaced those parts.
No, I'm intense and OCD. I don't mean to be agressive. I'm always trying to learn. I just drove a 2000 civic and a 2000 Maxima to about 250,000 miles. The civic was a lot cheaper to maintain than the Maxima. I planned to drive both until the engine or tranny blew. In hindsight I spent a lot of money on small repairs after about 130,000 miles. In hindsight I should have sold them a little sooner. Thanks!

KBC

WKR
I see lots of recommendations for a locker. My recommendation would be for a selectable locker, automatic style lockers can add driveability/poor handling especially on slick roads, depending on vehicle wheelbase, weight, and transmission.

This is a good point, I do have a mechanical locker in the front of my Xterra but I also put in manual hubs so that it is invisible in 2wd when I unlock the hubs. In a rear axle for something that is a daily driver or sees a lot of time on the highway a selectable locker is best.

This is a good point, I do have a mechanical locker in the front of my Xterra but I also put in manual hubs so that it is invisible in 2wd when I unlock the hubs. In a rear axle for something that is a daily driver or sees a lot of time on the highway a selectable locker is best.

I have a Detroit in the rear of the suburban, and most of the time you don't even notice it....big and heavy, and long wheelbase though.

I've been looking for a new vehicle recently too. Replacing a 99 Subaru Outback that was worth next to nothing but needed a couple thousand bucks in repairs. My first instinct was that this is my chance to finally get a truck to get me back further into the woods, but the reality of gas mileage and the practicality of the Outbacks has me considering getting another one. I'm not looking for a rock crawler - I'm looking for something that can get me down rough forest service roads.

The newer Outbacks have more than 8 1/2 inches of ground clearance. That's not much less than a lot of pickup trucks. My question is this: is there going to be a big difference in performance between a Subaru Outback with AWD and a stock pickup like a Nissan Frontier or a Ford F150? I'm not looking at modifying my vehicle to make it more off-road worthy, and I'm not wanting to spend more to get the factory off-road package. Just curious, and not wanting to start a new thread for my question - figured this is somewhat relevant since we're talking trucks and off-road packages and stuff.

Clarktar

WKR
I got a 2005 F350 for sale. 95k miles. Was my dad's. It is in mint condition!

For sale. I might even deliver!

I've been looking for a new vehicle recently too. Replacing a 99 Subaru Outback that was worth next to nothing but needed a couple thousand bucks in repairs. My first instinct was that this is my chance to finally get a truck to get me back further into the woods, but the reality of gas mileage and the practicality of the Outbacks has me considering getting another one. I'm not looking for a rock crawler - I'm looking for something that can get me down rough forest service roads.

The newer Outbacks have more than 8 1/2 inches of ground clearance. That's not much less than a lot of pickup trucks. My question is this: is there going to be a big difference in performance between a Subaru Outback with AWD and a stock pickup like a Nissan Frontier or a Ford F150? I'm not looking at modifying my vehicle to make it more off-road worthy, and I'm not wanting to spend more to get the factory off-road package. Just curious, and not wanting to start a new thread for my question - figured this is somewhat relevant since we're talking trucks and off-road packages and stuff.

is any Subaru available with low range?

vanish

WKR
My question is this: is there going to be a big difference in performance between a Subaru Outback with AWD and a stock pickup like a Nissan Frontier or a Ford F150? I'm not looking at modifying my vehicle to make it more off-road worthy, and I'm not wanting to spend more to get the factory off-road package. Just curious, and not wanting to start a new thread for my question - figured this is somewhat relevant since we're talking trucks and off-road packages and stuff.

We had a 2001 Outback with ~130k on it. It was a nice car but it was falling apart. Needed probably 6k in repairs, in my opinion. I couldn't believe I did it, but a year and half later we took the money from selling that car and bought a '99 F-150 with ~150k on it (and was able to do the needed fixes with the money left over).

While the Outback was plenty capable for your average NF roads, the stock F-150 doesn't even notice sections that used to have me puckering. It took me awhile to convince my wife, but AWD and 4x4 are not the same: 4WD vs. AWD: What’s the Difference? | Outside Online In short: AWD is great for on-road safety, 4x4 is what you want for terrain. The gas mileage does suck (15-20 mpg), but we don't use it as a daily driver.

When my 2006 Rav4 dies, we'll probably replace it with one of the new Forrester's. Seems like a perfect car for our typical use. However, I think we'll always have a truck.

i just helped install a lift on a buddy's 2011 4 cyl. tacoma with 260k miles on it..runs and drives great..and he is NOT one of those guys whos doing preventative maintenance.
go drive a few different things and feel out what fits you.
you can read all of our opinions until the cows come home, but it's going to be your truck, that you have to drive everyday

I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but I love my Honda Ridgeline. I've owned lots of trucks over the years and for my needs this is the best. Super comfortable, good gas mileage.... Can't complain.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
Crippledsledge64

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry for not responding, both turkey and exam season are here. Thanks again for all the replies, I appreciate everyone taking the time to share their thoughts and experiences. I'll probably start to look at Tundras, Tacomas, F150s, and Titans in that order (sorry Honda Ridgeline, I just don't like the look). We're probably 6 -8 months out from buying.

One thing I will say is that I am amazed at the prices for a used truck now...

WKR
For me, I'd go Toyota in either 4runner, Tacoma or Tundra. Like others, my 2003 4runner is running great at 200,000 miles. Getting a new timing belt, water pump, and tires. I drive almost all my Toyotas to around 150,000 to 200,000. I am now planning on taking them to 250-300K miles. I have never worked on an engine or a transmission on any of the ones I have owned. That now totals around 10 4x4 rigs from Toyota. Not slamming other brands, just saying these are my experiences with Toyotas.

Due to the stupidly high resale values on Toyotas, I've just been buying new ones and running them forever like the 2003 4runner mentioned earlier.

Ray

WKR
I'd really love to see a 3/4 ton Diesel Toyota truck!!!

If the auto trade news is accurate, the EPA has a straight 4 and a V6 diesel at their testing facility. The trade news also claims that Toyota plans on having a diesel Tacoma in the US by the end of 2018 for a 2019 model year. Nothing is sure for a diesel Tundra, but some writers think the V6 might be big enough with a turbo to meet the Tundra's needs. I have my doubts, but if the specs meet what Nissan is getting out of a small Cummings then maybe.

For turning my old 93 truck into a moose buggy, I wish I had all the funds to mess with it and stick a R2.8T cummings crate motor into it. However, it requires an entire drive train swap. I am already pushing my skills with the 1-ton axle swap and dual cases.

Billinsd

WKR
What's a moose buggy? I'm thinking of a 3/4 ton diesel like the GMC 2500. Something I can haul 9,000 pounds give or take all across the west, up and down the mountains.