New (Used) Hunting truck

SWOHTR

WKR
Man, P.T. Barnum is just high fiving and fist bumping all the mods salesmen on their walk to the bank :)

Personally, I think all the bells and whistles are silly. Sensible driving in a stock 4x4 with good tires will get you anywhere you should go. I'd buy a used Chevy and not look back. Our work fleet (landscaping) consists of 3 Ford's and one 97 Chevy half ton. The money spent on fixing the Ford's could have bought your new-used pickup easily in the last 5 years. The old chevy with 208k just likes oil changes and tires now and then.

I drive/hunt/live with a 99 Tahoe. All I have done is add a leaf spring in the rear to offset the chronic saggy 'hoe'.

Agreed. I’m amazed how far I’ve been able to go in a near-stock truck.

Also, the 88-98 GM 1500/2500/3500s are common for the reasons you speak. GM got it right! (In the gassers, not the 6.5 diesel).

One last bit of advice is - I would be very leery of an 07-13 GM with the 5.3l (basically the half tons). Unless you are the original owner and know the maintenance history, do not buy. These trucks have issues with AFM (Active Fuel Management). My 2012 had the engine replaced under warranty. I love the truck, but like I said - I'm the original owner and know all of the maintenance history of it. To the best of my knowledge, 4.8l, 6.0l, and 6.2l engines from this period don't have this problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

V65Magna

FNG
I currently have a 2013 Tundra and it's a beast. Very powerful and reliable but quite thirsty. I have the extended cab version with a 78" bed which is quite sufficient for my needs, while at the same time leaving enough room in the back seat to comfortably transport kids and stuff I want to keep dry.

Prior to the Tundra, I had a 2000 Tacoma with the 3.4 Liter V-6. Traded it in on the Tundra w/ 211K on it and it would still burn rubber. Great truck and better in the snow and mud than the Tundra. I wish I could have figured out a way to keep it. They gave me 4K trade.

OP
Crippledsledge64

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks again for all the advice guys. Question, how many miles do you consider to be too much when buying a used truck? I'm looking for something that will at least last me the next 6 years preferably closer to 10.

xziang

WKR
Like other have said Tacoma would be a good choice but they are $$ and you will get same MPG as full size basically. If you look at 2005 to about a 2012 Tacoma check the frame!! If you find one that has a replacement frame big BONUS for they have a known rust issue. (Only reason I decided to ditch my 08 that was mint but was afraid of frame rotting out from under me later on down the road)

For what you want hate to say it but also look at Jeeps maybe. You can/could always pull the rear seats out and use it to haul a big cooler granted won't be easy to just throw shiet in the back like a truck but off road wise would be perfect. I currently have a new gen Tacoma that I like.

If you have any questions on Tacomas drop me a line and I can give you some pointers and what I learned from owning them.

I had a 2007 Toyota tundra and loved it. I would still have that truck but I have a 30 ft camper and while the truck did well on flat ground, it worked real hard on the hills. My current rig is a 2015 F-250 gasser, crew cab with 8 ft box. No mods other than spray in Bedliner. Truck pulls my camper with ease, also pulls my 20 ft tandem axle trailer with 35hp tractor with no issues. Love the ground clearance and 8 ft bed. I can load my ATV in the bed and still have room to toss a cooler or something behind it and close the tailgate.

Thanks I've been looking into the frontiers but am looking more into the titan. Sounds like overall Nissan's treated you pretty well? And does the frontier have enough room for you or do you wish you went with the titan? Thanks again

i used to love nissans....and then i didnt. in fact i had to sue them over the crappy transmission problem they refused to fix. (google nissan transmission problems). Basically they have a coolant line that runs inside the transmission. It cracks and floods the transmission killing everything inside the housing including the computer that is housed there. Nissan knew this and decided it was not worth fixing. It pretty much happens to every early 2000's V6 eventually. happened to us well under 100,000 miles and essentially turned our pathfinder into lawn art. Luckily i was able to recoup a lot of the money in court. after that experience and hearing how much almost every single mechanic in the world hates nissan because of the issues with them I will never own one again. I love my Ford trucks. always have. Like mentioned above I did need to add 2 inches to the front so i could make it semi passable as a 4wd vehicle though. That allowed a slightly bigger tire so i now have better ground clearance. I also would not hesitate to own a Tacoma. They just keep running and running and running. My kids tacoma is awesome and what we tend to use for hunting trips now. (i dont want to scratch my pretty new truck) :)

Thanks again for all the advice guys. Question, how many miles do you consider to be too much when buying a used truck? I'm looking for something that will at least last me the next 6 years preferably closer to 10.

It's a risk measurement issue. I go places where (if I break down) I could be in serious trouble. How far from paved roads and civilization are you gonna go? If self-recovery is likely to be your only option then you wanna reliable vehicle with a winch, snatch block and the equipment to extricate yourself from whatever Mother Nature or bad luck throws at you. I pack a compressor, chainsaw, multiple tow straps, shovels...you name it. Nobody expects to drive over an old coyote den in the middle of the desert but it happens, vehicles get stuck and people die from exposure. If you must cut corners make sure you have a rescue beacon or sat phone. getting offroad is great but you must be ready for Murphy's Law.

Las Vegas Boy Dies After Getting Stranded in Death Valley - LASVEGASNOW

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
I cannot believe it, but I’m with this guy. I drive a bone stock tacoma. I wheel it into some gnarly spots. I know my limits while I’m hunting. I’m hunting not wheeling. I don’t road hunt.

Most mods hurt mpg. I get 22 hwy and I’m grateful for it. Mine was lifted about 1.5 inch and it was nice not rubbing my fenders. I dropped it back to OEM when Toyota had the rear spring recall.

My next truck will be a half ton. My truck fills up fast. Two guys and gear fills it up. I’ll go with a Ford eco boost 4x4 next maybe. I’ll leave it stock.
You can hammer down the pinch weld on a 1st gen taco to get
285/75/16 tires. That's what I did. A taco is great for driving off road and turning around. Gas mileage is poor, but dependable as hell. I'm giving my 2002 with 130,000 to my 9 year old son to go hunting when he gets married and has a family. He already asked me.

bivouaclarry

Lil-Rokslider
Lot's of good advice in this thread. You mentioned this will be a daily driver. If yes, and you ever have need to park in a parking structure, make sure lift and tires don't put you over max height. For my 13' F150, I went with a level kit in front and air springs in back for heavy loads or trailering. The level kit allowed me to run tires that are just under 35 inches. Plenty tall to get around hunting locations, but not so much lift I can't drive into town and park in the garage. I added a rolling locking cover to the bed so I have dry, lockable storage for my coolers and other things I leave behind at the trailhead. Or other times I don't people easily getting into the bed.

Oh...and if you do decide on Ecoboost, it's a great motor, but gas mileage in the real world is not what they advertise. I average 14mpg. Ford's figures come from a short bed, standard cab, 2 wheel drive tested at sea level with over inflated tires. Your milage will vary...usually worse!

Lot's of good advice in this thread. You mentioned this will be a daily driver. If yes, and you ever have need to park in a parking structure, make sure lift and tires don't put you over max height. For my 13' F150, I went with a level kit in front and air springs in back for heavy loads or trailering. The level kit allowed me to run tires that are just under 35 inches. Plenty tall to get around hunting locations, but not so much lift I can't drive into town and park in the garage. I added a rolling locking cover to the bed so I have dry, lockable storage for my coolers and other things I leave behind at the trailhead. Or other times I don't people easily getting into the bed.

Oh...and if you do decide on Ecoboost, it's a great motor, but gas mileage in the real world is not what they advertise. I average 14mpg. Ford's figures come from a short bed, standard cab, 2 wheel drive tested at sea level with over inflated tires. Your milage will vary...usually worse!

Seriously? Yikes! My Ecodiesel averages 22mpg after adding a 6" lift, 35s, steel bumper, etc.

handwerk

WKR
I'm on my second Gen 1 tundra, a 2006 DC 4x4, with a good topper,and between 5100 shocks up front and adding a leaf spring it the back it leveled off and raised it nicely.
If I were you I'd likely look at a taco or a clean low mile gen. 1 tundra, they're known to pretty commonly still be strong to 200,000 / 300,000 miles.
View attachment 70730

Rs3003

WKR
My vote is for a Toyota. I had a 07 Tacoma access cab 4x4 that went anywhere. Only needed wheel bearing replacement in 185000 miles. I got rid of it in December of 17 only because we needed more cab space. Now I have a Toyota Tundra. Toyota’s are a very dependable vehicle.

Bobbyboe

WKR
Go Toyota. Check out the quality index rating for used vehicles ( Best and Worst Quality Index Ratings - Dashboard Light ). You will see that Toyota a Lexus own the top if the charts. Same company, by the way.

My friends and I drive Toyota's and they regularly run into the 200,000 without any maintenance beyond oil changes. Personally I wouldnt be scared to buy a Tundra or Tacoma with 150,000 miles. Wouldnt touch an American with that manny miles.

For $15,000 you can get a low miles 2006 tundra with money to spare, or a medium miles 2007 or 2008 tundra. They hold their value well!

power54

FNG
I bought a 2006 Tundra DC with 115K for ~$15k last year. I've seen similar for less but I was ok with that price since the truck was in great shape, had a topper and new AT tires. Plus the truck was at a dealership which I prefer when traveling a few hours to buy a rig. I'd say look for one in that 100k-130k range for your desired price. Tacoma's tend to run more so you may be looking at slightly higher miles for a similar price.

JWP58

WKR
Not the first time, not the last time...i like my frontier better than the four tacomas ive owned.

But in regards to upgrades, pepper angus because tires are expensive. E rated cooper at3's one size larger than stock are going to run me about 900.....fml.

teamvit

Lil-Rokslider
I have had great success with me '04 ranger. 3in body lift so I could fit 33in tires and it does everything I need.