New (Used) Hunting truck

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
So the wife is giving me the okay to start to look at trucks for the next vehicle. I'd like to know what everyone has for a hunting rig, what has worked for you and what not so much. Also any mods you'd recommend or additions like bed storage or winches? I need something that can get into the mountains and that a deer or elk (quartered) will fit into the back. It'll also be my daily driver so preferably good mpg but that's not a deal breaker. Used budget will probably be about 15000 and under. So without turning this into a brand bashing fest, what do you run and what didn't run?
Thanks as always,
Sledge

Pro953

WKR
I run a Nissan Frontier crew cab. It is my daily driver and being in sales I put a lot of miles on it. It hauls the kids but I can still throw a pallet and whatever is needed in the back.

Only things I would change would be adding a bit more clearance and going with 4WD. I have only been in two situations in the last few years that I really needed it. But it certainly is worth having when you are solo deep in a national forest or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion, either get a 3/4 ton pickup from any of the big 3, or get a 1/2 ton and lift it. None of the modern 1/2 tons (outside of performance models a la Ford Raptor) have enough clearance and the approach and departure angles suck. A 3/4 ton has plenty of clearance to get you anywhere you should ethically be, is nimble enough to be efficient off the pavement, and has the power and chassis to pull a horse / travel trailer to the trail head comfortably.

I run a 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD and don't plan on changing to anything different within the next 5-8 years, barring catastrophe.

As far as equipment, 10-ply rated tires, a full set of chains, and a basic truck bed toolbox with tow chains, a hi-lift jack, and a shovel in it will get you far.

If there was one serious mod to the vehicle I'd consider, it'd be selectable locking diffs, like ARB, OX, or Eaton E-lockers. I've run detroit auto-lockers in the past and while they're awesome off-road, they're a pain on pavement at times.

OP
Crippledsledge64

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
I run a Nissan Frontier crew cab. It is my daily driver and being in sales I put a lot of miles on it. It hauls the kids but I can still throw a pallet and whatever is needed in the back.

Only things I would change would be adding a bit more clearance and going with 4WD. I have only been in two situations in the last few years that I really needed it. But it certainly is worth having when you are solo deep in a national forest or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks I've been looking into the frontiers but am looking more into the titan. Sounds like overall Nissan's treated you pretty well? And does the frontier have enough room for you or do you wish you went with the titan? Thanks again

OP
Crippledsledge64

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
I've looked a little bit into the 3/4 tons but they're a bit bigger than what the wife wants so its probably going to be a half ton for me. Thanks for the suggestions on the equipment, its easy to forget a hi jack or shovel till you need them!

love my tacoma.
as for mods it's pretty basic because its also my daily driver.
small 1.5 inch lift, 32" tires, soft topper canopy has been awesome and very versatile, and my remote mount warn winch (can run in the front or back) has been a LIFE saver when out there alone..you can't always winch yourself out from the front if your solo, so being able to put the winch in your rear receiver and pull you back out of something is great.
my buddy has a big ram that we usually take as it has more space and all of that, but depending on roads, the tacoma fits a lot more places.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
On my 3rd F150 Crew and never had one in the shop. They get better and better. Drove GM's for 35 years. These Fords are amazing rigs.

kicker338

WKR
The only help, advice I can give you is to base your choice on the overall need for you. Towing a big trailer, hauling heavy loads, think 3/4 ton's. Light towing and hauling, look to 1/2 ton/s. If a 1/2 ton or bigger is too much for you then and only then look at the small trucks. 3/4 ton, if you really need one for heavy work, fine otherwise stay with a 1/2 ton. 3/4 ton's all are big, heavy, rough riding and expensive, get one stuck and you have big problems. Next small trucks, unless you just want a small truck, skip them. About the only advantage they have over a 1/2 ton is slightly better gas mileage if even that. This brings me to the 1/2 tons, they can do everything that a small truck can't do and pretty much most everything a 3/4 ton will do short of real heavy work. Of the half tons out there, all 5 can be had with a V8 capable of towing upwards of 9k lbs. The ford ecoboost 3.5 can hit 11K lbs towing and is a real brut for power, that's what I have, a 2017, rated at 470 lbs. ft. of torque, that's more than the early 7.3 diesel. As far as off road is conserned I don't do that with my truck, that's what I have a 4wheeler for, tow it on a small trailer and the truck bed for everything else.

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2008 nissan titan crew cab with long box. I haven't seen too many like it with that combo. 37 gallon fuel tank let's you get out there without frequent fill ups. I love the bed length (7 ft 3 in.) Fits ATV nicely with tailgate shut. Very roomy backseat. I put a mini lift on it and run a 285/65r20 nitto terra grappler. Great ground clearance imo. It's my daily driver. Been a good truck with no plans to replace. 140,000 miles on it. Gas mileage sucks. About 12-13 mpg. Unless you're regularly hauling/towing, I don't see the purpose of a 3/4 truck. To each their own though!

The only help, advice I can give you is to base your choice on the overall need for you. Towing a big trailer, hauling heavy loads, think 3/4 ton's. Light towing and hauling, look to 1/2 ton/s. If a 1/2 ton or bigger is too much for you then and only then look at the small trucks. 3/4 ton, if you really need one for heavy work, fine otherwise stay with a 1/2 ton. 3/4 ton's all are big, heavy, rough riding and expensive, get one stuck and you have big problems. Next small trucks, unless you just want a small truck, skip them. About the only advantage they have over a 1/2 ton is slightly better gas mileage if even that. This brings me to the 1/2 tons, they can do everything that a small truck can't do and pretty much most everything a 3/4 ton will do short of real heavy work. Of the half tons out there, all 5 can be had with a V8 capable of towing upwards of 9k lbs. The ford ecoboost 3.5 can hit 11K lbs towing and is a real brut for power, that's what I have, a 2017, rated at 470 lbs. ft. of torque, that's more than the early 7.3 diesel. As far as off road is conserned I don't do that with my truck, that's what I have a 4wheeler for, tow it on a small trailer and the truck bed for everything else.
this is great advice.
if i towed anything of any substance (biggest thing I tow is my 18 foot north river aluminum boat), and didn't have to deal with parking in downtown seattle for work at times, i would probably get a truck bigger than a tacoma...but if you don't tow, do you really need a big ol diesel?
what are your uses/needs for the truck?

kyGWZ9E.jpg

I'd stay away from long beds if you plan on going down any squirrelly roads. I swore when I replaced my 3500 that I wouldn't get a long bed. I ended up going with one and that fall it cost me. I went down a road that a buddy said would lead me to a trail head. He forgot to mention that he had last been down that road with a ford ranger. I couldn't turn around at the trail head and ended up going out backwards. A sharp turn and trees on both sides didn't do me any favors. I now have a chainsaw to get out of similar situations.

OP
Crippledsledge64

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the input guys especially on the mods and reliability of your rigs. I wont be hauling anything super heavy with it, mostly a small horse trailer or atv from time to time. I'll probably stay away from long beds for reasons like back country hunter showed. I think right now i'm between a toyota tundra or tacoma, f150, or nissan titan. Ground clearance is a concern of mine, i see a lot of raised up trucks that have the rear axle low to the ground that i'd be worried about scraping.

My only advice would be to pay attention to what everyone has said about ground clearance and entry/exit angles.

It's no fun not being able to get into a stream or washed out portion of a dirt road you need to cross and even less to not able to get out of it.

Also, without adequate ground clearance you can do some serious damage to your suspension when you hit one of those 6-12 inch deep potholes that suddenly appear in the road ahead of you (especially at dusk or dawn). I broke a sway bar that way.

Larry

SWOHTR

WKR
I have a 2012 Silverado 1500 and put a 2" leveling kit on it and 285s. It's nimble enough to get anywhere I need to go (FS road wise). I'll also echo the above sentiments regarding worthwhile immediate modifications...tires first my opinion, then a locker of some sort if you don't have one. In an ideal world you'd have heavy duty front and rear protection (bumpers) and a winch, but those get pricey fast. As tempting as a multi-mount may be, you're limited to ~9k lb winch and remember, all of the stress is going through the receiver. Similarly, you can't just put the winch on the front and forget about it - your approach angle will suffer and your fancy winch may turn into a mudshovel. If you really want to get fancy, put an onboard air compressor on it so you can air up flats (or tires you purposely depressurized).

Randy Newberg has a video of what may/may not be helpful:

Jacked-up trucks, jumbo tires, ruin a good hunting rig - YouTube

Or you can just spend all of that money on a good ATV/UTV and not worry as much if you beat the shit out of it on the backroads.

Thanks for all the input guys especially on the mods and reliability of your rigs. I wont be hauling anything super heavy with it, mostly a small horse trailer or atv from time to time. I'll probably stay away from long beds for reasons like back country hunter showed. I think right now i'm between a toyota tundra or tacoma, f150, or nissan titan. Ground clearance is a concern of mine, i see a lot of raised up trucks that have the rear axle low to the ground that i'd be worried about scraping.

Can't help ya, spent over 25K on mods alone after buying Ram.

mt100gr.

WKR
Man, P.T. Barnum is just high fiving and fist bumping all the mods salesmen on their walk to the bank :)

Personally, I think all the bells and whistles are silly. Sensible driving in a stock 4x4 with good tires will get you anywhere you should go. I'd buy a used Chevy and not look back. Our work fleet (landscaping) consists of 3 Ford's and one 97 Chevy half ton. The money spent on fixing the Ford's could have bought your new-used pickup easily in the last 5 years. The old chevy with 208k just likes oil changes and tires now and then.

I drive/hunt/live with a 99 Tahoe. All I have done is add a leaf spring in the rear to offset the chronic saggy 'hoe'.

DavePwns

WKR
If you need a truck, get a Tacoma with 4 x 4 that has been owned by 1 owner who religiously changed the oil (check carfax). A Tacoma with 1 excellent owner with 200,000 miles in my opinion is superior than one with 75,000 miles owned by a few poor/harsh owners who ran it hard, didn't take care of it and sold it after a few thousand miles.
Personally I have an 06 rav4 with 160,000 miles (bought uses at 135k from 1 owner) with all terrain tires, roof basket and it's all wheel drive, I just take out the rear seats for when I hunt and use it as my daily driver. I've had no problems with ice, snow, mud, or clearance when in the mountains. Also I paid only $7,500 for it and it gets 23 mpg for me on average. I feel like a salesman for it but honestly it's been a great SUV for me when I thought I needed a truck.

boom

WKR
Man, P.T. Barnum is just high fiving and fist bumping all the mods salesmen on their walk to the bank :)

Personally, I think all the bells and whistles are silly. Sensible driving in a stock 4x4 with good tires will get you anywhere you should go. I'd buy a used Chevy and not look back. Our work fleet (landscaping) consists of 3 Ford's and one 97 Chevy half ton. The money spent on fixing the Ford's could have bought your new-used pickup easily in the last 5 years. The old chevy with 208k just likes oil changes and tires now and then.

I drive/hunt/live with a 99 Tahoe. All I have done is add a leaf spring in the rear to offset the chronic saggy 'hoe'.

I cannot believe it, but I’m with this guy. I drive a bone stock tacoma. I wheel it into some gnarly spots. I know my limits while I’m hunting. I’m hunting not wheeling. I don’t road hunt.

Most mods hurt mpg. I get 22 hwy and I’m grateful for it. Mine was lifted about 1.5 inch and it was nice not rubbing my fenders. I dropped it back to OEM when Toyota had the rear spring recall.

My next truck will be a half ton. My truck fills up fast. Two guys and gear fills it up. I’ll go with a Ford eco boost 4x4 next maybe. I’ll leave it stock.

WRO

WKR
I cannot believe it, but I’m with this guy. I drive a bone stock tacoma. I wheel it into some gnarly spots. I know my limits while I’m hunting. I’m hunting not wheeling. I don’t road hunt.

Most mods hurt mpg. I get 22 hwy and I’m grateful for it. Mine was lifted about 1.5 inch and it was nice not rubbing my fenders. I dropped it back to OEM when Toyota had the rear spring recall.

My next truck will be a half ton. My truck fills up fast. Two guys and gear fills it up. I’ll go with a Ford eco boost 4x4 next maybe. I’ll leave it stock.
I had an 11 f150, that thing was a low riding girl truck, killed in 5 years.

Back to tacos again with 0 complaints. I've owned 4 previously, they're indestructible and with good tires they'll go anywhere a side by side will.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have a Tacoma I bought new in 2010. Its a short bed 4 door 4x4. It's a awesome hunting truck. I had previously drove chevy 1/2 tons. The Tacoma is easy to drive in tight spots, and has been very dependable. The only trade off is the occasion to pull heavy trailers, but if your consideration is mostly a driving around and hunting truck I can't imagine a better rig with a positive history of dependability.