Kifaru shipping

TheCougar

WKR
2 t-shirts, 3 ultralight pullouts, and 1 sheep tarp. Total weight of 16oz of stuff and it all packs down really small. Drumroll please... $23 for shipping. WTF? I remove the sheep tarp, and shipping drops to $5.80. Kifaru has gotten better at shipping the small items, but charging a $17 shipping charge for a 9oz tarp just lost them a sheep tarp sale. Maybe I should call them...

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I found a way around it... I put the tarp in a separate order and shipping was only $5 for the tarp. It makes no sense, but for some reason adding to my order made the shipping gods angry.

Can't really say whether I agree or disagree. Shipping costs (buying and selling in my case) make me crazy. I've sold a clothing item for $40 and then been burned by shipping costs. I've seen companies charge more to ship a small item than what it costs. Many times I've been to a vendor website and put a couple items in the cart only to discover very high shipping costs...think something like $18 to ship a $22 item that would fit in kid's shoe box. I almost always dump and look elsewhere.

But I really do see this from both sides of the deal. Many times it's the automated shipping calculators causing the costs to rise.

Scrappy

WKR
You got me, I saw the thread tittle and thought you got shipping notice for the new frame.

Is it kifaru messing with the prices or is it UPS, USPS or FedEx or who ever the hell they ship through

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

two main things at play here.
1 as has been said, automated shipping calculators...they arent always perfect. I ran an online vendor site selling automotive parts with a huge inventory, it was hard to apply the correct shipping to everything, let alone combos..example, someone orders an exhaust piece (heavy and large) shipping is significant, throw in an o ring (realistically this shouldnt change the shipping cost as it adds negligible weight and can be added to the same box, but it does due to the software).
2. and more importantly, i think amazon prime has ruined everyone's expectations of shipping cost, shipping time, and shipping confirmation.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
2 t-shirts, 3 ultralight pullouts, and 1 sheep tarp. Total weight of 16oz of stuff and it all packs down really small. Drumroll please... $23 for shipping. WTF? I remove the sheep tarp, and shipping drops to $5.80. Kifaru has gotten better at shipping the small items, but charging a $17 shipping charge for a 9oz tarp just lost them a sheep tarp sale. Maybe I should call them...

Yes, maybe you should, because whining about it on here will change nothing. With literally the hundreds of orders that big companies ship every week do you really think they are going to hand figure every order??

2. and more importantly, i think amazon prime has ruined everyone's expectations of shipping cost, shipping time, and shipping confirmation.

I think they raised the bar for shipping standards.

Unless its a really unique hard to find item most people decide their purchase on the cost of shipping and to a lesser degree sales tax. It all ads up.

Kifaru can get away with ridiculous shipping costs because they make a one of a kind product. But enough people complained and i will be darned if they didn’t figure out how to ship stuff a little more cost effectively. Imo this is one of the many reasons there is such a demand for their products second hand.

Jimbob

WKR
Try living in a different country. Shipping to Canada can be insane sometimes. I hate paying shipping but the reality is that its part of the price.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I shipped a box to Kifaru (Alaska to Colorado) for $17.30.

They received the box this morning, exchanged an item and fixed my shoulder strap. The box is headed back out today, impressive turnaround.

Kifaru shipped me the same box back (Colorado to Alaska) for $13.63.

WKR
My little business ships thousands of orders each month. We see a lot of weird stuff with freight calculators. I'd just call them up and they'd take care if you.

jspradley

WKR
UPS recently changed their shipping costs within the past year or so to calculate in volume as well, not just weight.

Sometimes it gets weird... probably some sort of glitch in the volume calculations