Finding water....hunt backcounty podcast 117

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
I just finished this podcast and loved it. Really amped me up some more as a newbie and getting out west next year. Great stuff.

My research has turn into full blown obsession. Literally hours everyday listening, reading, watching. God bless my wife, and my laid back job.

Finding a water source has been my latest concern. The story in this podcast replayed a worry I've had. You get to your plan 'a' spot, and no water to be found. I'd love any incite and tips to secure a water source for someone doing their scouting and research remotely. Also, I make it a point to drink a gallon of water a day. Is this going to be challenging to consume that amount while back country? Do most of you get by with a 3 liter bladder for the day? Or is it common to dip your nalgene and steri pen it when you are able? Thanks

I drink as much water as the location I am in allows. I can never have enough it seems and when I begin to run low I get upset. Look for drainage's and you'll often find some water. Most bottoms have some as well. Definitely plan ahead when going into an area that may or may not have water in easy to access spots.

7262D52E-FB14-456E-82E2-84221ED4E1AD.jpg
This little spring is a 4-mile hike inside a desert “wilderness”. It is not shown on any hunt app or topo map that I know of. It gets traffic from deer and sheep. USGS topos and apps like On X do show most springs, although many I have been to are dry.

I hunt the California desert, water is always an issue. I carry minimum 5L if I know the area has good water. I figure I consume about 8-10L a day when it’s 90+. I hunted an area last year with only a few small springs and carried 12L. Sometimes I carry a couple 1-gallon plastic jugs and stage them along my hike in. There is nothing worse than packing out with a heavy load and being dehydrated. My buddies and I refill with water every chance we get when we come across it. I use a gravity bag and drops for the speed of the refill.