Watching the half ton diesel trucks.

dotman

WKR
I have a 2014 Ecodiesel and it had some growing pains. I can get 25 MPG IF I keep it at 65 MPH on the HWY. IF I run at 80 it gets around 18-19

Then I changed the computer out for a green diesel computer. Now I can get 28-30 around 65 and 23-24 around 80

I also deleted the DEF. With that and the new computer, it also has quite a bit more pep.

Is that hand calculated? The pressure boxes fool the pump and electronics making it look like your mileage is way better. I added an AG solutions to my Nissan and while I see computer mpg gains after hand calculating it’s only a slight improvement, now the added 60hp and 100 ft/lbs torque is noticeable and well worth the upgrade till I delete it.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Is that hand calculated? The pressure boxes fool the pump and electronics making it look like your mileage is way better. I added an AG solutions to my Nissan and while I see computer mpg gains after hand calculating it’s only a slight improvement, now the added 60hp and 100 ft/lbs torque is noticeable and well worth the upgrade till I delete it.

I never trust what comes out of a computer:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macintosh

WKR
I have a 17 diesel colorado. 12k miles on it. So far totally trouble free including in -30f weather, which I was worried about. I average 23.7 hand calculated, which has always been within a tenth or two of the computer. Longer hiway trips I get 29-32mpg depending on terrain. 20mpg towing my 19' fiberglass boat. The diesel was a $3700 add-on. When I bought it diesel was only about 10-15 cents/gallon more than gas, and based on my math it was a long-term wash price-wise. Diesel has jumped in price relative to gas around me so thats prob not true now, but we'll see over time. Unless it goes south on me for some reason I love it, tows like a half-ton truck without the size which I dont want much of the time. Been in tacomas for several vehicles and liked this rig better, but looking forward to more options when its time to trade this one in.

Titan

WKR
I have a 16 ecodiesel with Green Diesel Engineering. Still have the DPF system intact.

No problems at all - I give credit to the tune. Got 30-31 mpg a few weeks ago over a 600 mile trip. That is with AT tires as well.

Diesel isn't much more here than unleaded. Was the same price for a while also. Made back the cost premium of the diesel pretty quickly.

Billinsd

WKR
I have a 16 ecodiesel with Green Diesel Engineering. Still have the DPF system intact.

No problems at all - I give credit to the tune. Got 30-31 mpg a few weeks ago over a 600 mile trip. That is with AT tires as well.

Diesel isn't much more here than unleaded. Was the same price for a while also. Made back the cost premium of the diesel pretty quickly.
Good to state Premium cost compared to diesel. I always think of the unleaded price, because, that's what I run in my cars. When you consider Premium, which I'm assuming the gas trucks require the price difference is not that much. Bill

"Made back the cost premium of the diesel pretty quickly."[/QUOTE]

I think Titan meant the extra $ (premium) that the diesel engine cost, nothing to do with premium gasoline?

Titan

WKR
Yeah, I meant the cost of the diesel engine. Think it was roughly $3,500 over the Hemi.

But premium fuel was more than diesel for a while here. Not sure what it currently is.

Many of the ecodiesel problems stemmed from using the wrong oil. Ram revised the manual and notified everyone to use Rotella T6. Most issues ceased however the "cleaning emmission system" still performs a routine maintenance cleaning whenever it is inconvenient. it clicks on and you have to keep driving until it completes itself which may mean you gotta drive for up to 30 minutes whether you want to or not. That said, I love my truck. It is a limited with every single option you can buy. Got it used, ripped the airbag suspension off it, replaced it with a 6" BDS lift kit, 35s, steel bumper w/ 12K winch, skid plates, power steps, custom lights and others and it still averages 22MPG. Since I drive for one or two days at a time just to get to my hunting location, the creature comforts and smooth ride are sweet. And offroad I have eaten Jeeps for lunch running steep uphills. I guess I am "that guy" huh?

25591583_10214674469716487_3158082566573324074_n.jpg

Last edited:

GrantMan

Lil-Rokslider
Why the demand for 1/2 ton diesel? A 3/4 ton with Carli suspension package will ride better than a stock 1/2 ton suspension. I can see the appeal fort a compact diesel like the hilux/tacoma but then again the gas models get along just fine.

Many of the ecodiesel problems stemmed from using the wrong oil. Ram revised the manual and notified everyone to use Rotella T6. Most issues ceased however the "cleaning emmission system" still performs a routine maintenance cleaning whenever it is inconvenient. it clicks on and you have to keep driving until it completes itself which may mean you gotta drive for up to 30 minutes whether you want to or not. That said, I love my truck. It is a limited with every single option you can buy. Got it used, ripped the airbag suspension off it, replaced it with a 6" BDS lift kit, 35s, steel bumper w/ 12K winch, skid plates, power steps, custom lights and others and it still averages 22MPG. Since I drive for one or two days at a time just to get to my hunting location, the creature comforts and smooth ride are sweet. And offroad I have eaten Jeeps for lunch running steep uphills. I guess I am "that guy" huh?

25591583_10214674469716487_3158082566573324074_n.jpg
Is that hand calculated or are you going by the Lie-O-Meter on the overhead console? What did you use to reprogram the speedometer?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Is that hand calculated or are you going by the Lie-O-Meter on the overhead console? What did you use to reprogram the speedometer?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Both actually. I save my fuel receipts (business deduction) and can determine my actual mileage by comparing receipts to my odometer. That includes one round trip drive from San Clemente, CA to Las Vegas, NV without a fuel stop. Nobody was more surprised than I was. I had a 5gal can of diesel in the bed just in case. The computer appears to be fairly accurate on my truck but the display is not overhead. I have a moonroof.

danarnold

WKR
not being "that guy", but I do have a couple questions as I may be interested in something like this in the future and have only had one deisel vehicle in my life (6.2 detroit in a 1990 suburban which i have since sold):

1. If no cost savings with MPG due to up front price: Why buy a mid size diesel?

Longevity? Better Towing Power?

Just to be that guy...
I drive a 05 cummins, my wife drives a 16 eco diesel dodge, love both. he r4wd 4door has over 20K on it and overall avg is 26.5 mpg and it doesn't lack in power, dam good truck