Watching the half ton diesel trucks.

boom

WKR
I think dodge had a hiccup with it the EcoDiesel? It was not offered for a bit, but appears to be coming back? I tried to online build one last night and the motor was not an option for the lastest iteration of the truck.

Now both Ford and GM are coming out with their diesels!

Nuts. If Toyota slipped the diesel Hilux over our borders. Egads. We would have some options.

Before “that guy” shows up; yes, we know! The diesel option cost more than the fuel savings.
Before “that other guy” shows up; yes! We also know it’s not the best idea to buy the first model of a new idea. :)

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The ecodiesel had to get their emissions figured out, but they should come back to the market.

The F150 should be a nice option, but the torque numbers look similar to the Ecoboost with less horses?

The Silverado diesel numbers aren’t out yet, but are rumored to be better than either competitor, comes with the new Ford/GM 10 speed, and I think you can get the “Trail Boss” factory lift with the diesel. That has my interest.

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah the titan has been out on the market for a year or two now, looks like a nice truck. Chevy has the little duramax in the canyon. Haven't heard too much about it.

I've drove the Ram 1500 diesel and wasn't that impressed. I also drove the Titan with the little cummins, IMO it was a better truck. And I own a 6.7 cummins now

Trial153

WKR
buddy of mine has load Titan with the Cummins in it, had it about a year. so far he has says he likes it however its an an annoyance to own. Lots of small issues.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
It is my understanding that the XD is more of a heavy 1/2 ton or light 3/4 ton. They do seem like nice trucks.

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
I own a 2015 Ram Ecodiesel and have no complaints. It's not uncommon for me to average 26-29MPG on long trips to Durango or the western slope.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
not being "that guy", but I do have a couple questions as I may be interested in something like this in the future and have only had one deisel vehicle in my life (6.2 detroit in a 1990 suburban which i have since sold):

1. If no cost savings with MPG due to up front price: Why buy a mid size diesel?

Longevity? Better Towing Power?

netman

WKR
I own both the 2015 Eco diesel and 2015 Duramax. Actually the eco is my wife’s truck.
We buy diesels for their longevity. We use the eco for long trips as it does fantastic on fuel economy.
I use the duramax for heavy towing.
Both are great trucks however my next truck will be a half ton diesel.

SWOHTR

WKR
How much do these weigh compared to the gassers? Have they lightened the engines enough to make them more viable trail vehicles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
not being "that guy", but I do have a couple questions as I may be interested in something like this in the future and have only had one deisel vehicle in my life (6.2 detroit in a 1990 suburban which i have since sold):

1. If no cost savings with MPG due to up front price: Why buy a mid size diesel?

Longevity? Better Towing Power?

Around here, diesel is a lot more expensive than gas. 28mpg with Diesel equates to about 21mpg with an 87 octane gas engine if you convert to $/mile. And, with diesel engines being a ton more expensive, you'll never make your money back. Especially with some of the newer gas engines like the smaller ecoboost, and some of the NA V6 engines getting close to 25 mpg on the highway.

Where they make sense - is if you're towing a lot, plowing snow, etc. A diesel is much more efficient under load than a gas engine. So - landscapers for example that have a 1-ton dump truck pulling a trailer all day every day - Diesel makes a lot more sense.

Most people just buy them because they want them, which is fine too.

CoSwede

FNG
I have a 2014 Ecodiesel with $83k miles on it and love it. Recently bought a new 2017 (built in 2018) Ecodiesel to replace it as there were some really good sales and got 32% off of MSRP. I don't tow much more than snowmobiles and ATVs so that's not an issue. I do drive a lot so I really appreciate the 600 - 700 miles between fuel stops. Power isn't an issue as I can accelerate up the mountain passes. Yes there were some emission issues with the EPA but I'm not concerned about that at all. Was told the new body style 2019s wouldn't have a diesel option until late 2019 which is why I made the move now to replace the older one. Glenwood Springs to Denver two weeks ago I got 29.5 MPG and that's with idling for an hour in Vail waiting for the pass to open back up. Not complaining.

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2017 Chevy Colorado in diesel. There are things I like about it and things I don't. If anyone has question let me know.

I drove an Ecodiesel for work for 3 years. Great mileage, but no better in the towing department than most comparable gassers. The emission system drove me crazy. There wasn't lots of down time, but it was always at the wrong time. With fuel costs going up sharply my company traded in our 13 half ton Ecodiesel trucks for new half ton ecoboost F-150's. Not sure about the 10 speed tranny yet, but they are able to do the same job just as efficiently for less $$.

dotman

WKR
buddy of mine has load Titan with the Cummins in it, had it about a year. so far he has says he likes it however its an an annoyance to own. Lots of small issues.

Interesting, have had mine a year and it’s been amazing, way less issues then I had with GMC and Dodge. Only negative I have is the small 26gal fuel tank. Currently have 11,327 on mine.

dotman

WKR
It is my understanding that the XD is more of a heavy 1/2 ton or light 3/4 ton. They do seem like nice trucks.

Yeah it is, it was built to tow 10k comfortably and have no white knuckles plus be able to stop easily. Out of all the 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons I’ve owned this has been my favorite, smooth ride unloaded and doesn’t drag the bumper or get pushed around when towing within mfg recommendations.

It is not a 3/4 ton and if you tow 12k+ frequently I would get a 3/4 ton.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Yeah the titan has been out on the market for a year or two now, looks like a nice truck. Chevy has the little duramax in the canyon. Haven't heard too much about it.

It is a great option if you tow less then 10k a bunch or need a good towing pickup yet don’t need a 3/4 ton. I love mine but if you don’t tow much or at all truthfully the other options are more fuel efficient. I do like that my pro4x has a rear locker, hill descent, bilstin shocks and doesn’t squat when loaded but I only get around 15mpg in town and 21mpg hwy. if I didn’t have a camper and atv I would have gone with the little duramax midsized from GM.

It out performs my 2011 GMC 3/4 with the 6.0 gas in everything I have done.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Do any of these newer diesel trucks come in a manual? There is no way I am ever buying an automatic, but wouldn't mind a Tundra diesel with a manual. I saw the new mpg ratings on the Ford diesel.......30hwy, 25 city. Wonder what speed that was on the highway? I'm rarely ever going under 80 on the highway.