Yeti drops NRA?

topher89

WKR
I have always been 50/50 on the NRA. I love what they stand for and feel like I should become a member. The other 50 percent of me hates that they create this if you ain’t with us your against us mentality and that they never let an opportunity go to waste(which is good and bad). I feel like they have room for improvement on a lot of stances and the way they act at times.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great post.

This also shows how quickly we (royal we here) are whipped to a froth without gathering all of the facts.

It is easy to get caught up, but a few moments or days of patience prior to shouting "Off with their heads," may be prudent.

Yeah, I find it extremely weird that the people at Yeti didn't see this fall out coming. They made the choices they did. And, this was just a business decision. Poor company being mistreated by the simpleton rednecks.

Yeah right. The people upset at Yeti sure did over react here. SMH. A company that has basically self destructed by pricing themselves out of market share. Gets taken to the cleaners by its competition. Makes a decision to try and bring prestige back to it's brand, with no regard to the people and ideology that made them the elite. I bet the coolers they sod the NRA for these foundation drives was the difference in profits. Sure sounds like some over reactions to me. Not real sure I agree to whom you think that relates to more though.

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider
Being a young adult and given the state of affairs in the country, I have recently considered joining the NRA several times. This event causes me to give those thoughts a pause. I belong to several local orgs and appreciate the transparency, fairness, pragmatism, and sense of communitee they display. I don't see these same values in NRA and I causes me to question if I would just be feeding the monster with my membership. I will be watching them closely and taking in the facts before making my decision. My 2 cents anyways....

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Obi-wanshinobi

Lil-Rokslider
There is a post on Archery Talk showing the letter they sent to the Quail Coalition too. Don't know if the NRA got the same exact letter but if they did I'd say they overreacted.

Maybe somebody can copy the post and show it here.

Mosby

WKR
This is what they sent me:

We're writing in response to your recent email inquiry.

A few weeks ago, YETI notified the NRA Foundation, as well as a number of other organizations, that we were eliminating a group of outdated discounting programs. When we notified the NRA Foundation and the other organizations of this change, YETI explained that we were offering them an alternative customization program broadly available to consumers and organizations, including the NRA Foundation. These facts directly contradict the inaccurate statement the NRA-ILA distributed on April 20.

Further, the NRA-ILA stated in that same public communication that "[YETI has] declined to continue helping America's young people enjoy outdoor recreational activities." Nothing is further from the truth. YETI was founded more than 10 years ago with a passion for the outdoors, and over the course of our history we have actively and enthusiastically supported hunters, anglers and the broader outdoor community. We have been devoted to and will continue to directly support causes tied to our passion for the outdoors, including by working with many organizations that promote conservation and management of wildlife resources and habitat restoration. From our website to our film footage and from our social media posts to our ambassadors, YETI has always prominently featured hunters pursuing their passions. Moreover, YETI is unwavering in our belief in and commitment to the Constitution of the United States and its Second Amendment.

Thanks for reaching out to YETI.

Trial153

WKR
I am reading threads in places like Bowsite, AT, Facebook and couple other places and the amount of stupidity on display is staggering. We are doomed if the comments represent a significant percentage of gun owners and sportman.

I don’t know about how anyone else would handle it but personally if a company that supported my organization in the past to the level that yeti supported the NRA among others, presented me with a new corporate sponsorship program that didn’t work for me, I would thank them for their past support. Furthermore I would keep communication open and maintain a relationship with the hope to facilitate a future deal that befits both parties. The fact that they( whomever at the NRA) was willing to spin this for short term gain at the expense of a past partners and allies speaks volumes for their lack of class and short sightedness. It should also wake its membership up to the fact that we need new leadership and direction if we are going to succeed via the NRA.

SWOHTR

WKR
I am reading threads in places like Bowsite, AT, Facebook and couple other places and the amount of stupidity on display is staggering. We are doomed if the comments represent a significant percentage of gun owners and sportman.

I don’t know about how anyone else would handle it but personally if a company that supported my organization in the past to the level that yeti supported the NRA among others, presented me with a new corporate sponsorship program that didn’t work for me, I would thank them for their past support. Furthermore I would keep communication open and maintain a relationship with the hope to facilitate a future deal that befits both parties. The fact that they( whomever at the NRA) was willing to spin this for short term gain at the expense of a past partners and allies speaks volumes for their lack of class and short sightedness. It should also wake its membership up to the fact that we need new leadership and direction if we are going to succeed via the NRA.

100% agreed!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It should also wake its membership up to the fact that we need new leadership and direction if we are going to succeed via the NRA.

Ding ding

This is middle school drama at best... Lying and defamation at worst, and should be unacceptable to its membership. It's how we lose our rights.

Ding ding

This is middle school drama at best... Lying and defamation at worst, and should be unacceptable to its membership. It's how we lose our rights.

my dad can beat up your dad...
this whole deal is ridiculous. in my opinion, this show's the NRA's lack of responsible leadership.
my thing is i would like to see the list of organizations/companies this affected because it wasnt targeted at the NRA, which is what the NRA is trying to make it sound like.
I don't know..it just bugs me that everyone looks up to the NRA so highly like if you own a gun you better be an NRA member..not for me when they pull sh!t like this.
get over yourselves. the NRA needs to find a way to appeal to more people if they want to succeed in their mission. After reading a lot of posts on different forums and sites about this...i'm not alone in my sentiment and think the NRA needs to find a way to get out of the 'good ol boy club' mentality.
sportsman can't alienate themselves from "tree huggers" or "LL BEAN hikers". both, deep down, have the same goals, preserving our resources.
we need to find a way to co exist. and the NRA isnt helping that.
rant over, ill keep my rtic, my guns, and not send the nra any money.

I see a lot of this co exist/get along sentiment lately in regards to the NRA. My question is how do you propose to do that?
You have an organization (NRA) designed to stop any infringements on a right, then on the other side you have people trying to infringe on that right. How, and why should they get along?

Esse quam videri

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
This thread is EPIC! Thanks for keeping it civil for the most part. I can't believe the time people waste here:)

Still going to be an NRA member

And I am glad Yeti started this extreme cooler craze because my Orien cooler keeps my beer ice cold for weeks.

Oh, and the truth is probably closer to the middle.

Too much blame game...not enough coherent PR on either side. Yeti should definitely have had the foresight to see the potential blowback, given the hypersensitivity of the NRA and its ability to detonate a semi-nuclear reaction. Yeti didn't mean to do it, but they fired a round through their own foot. The NRA deserves to be chastised for reacting so aggressively to a company which had been a staunch ally (apparently) and helped its cause through financially favoring its members. Yeti has every right to run its company as it sees best. They didn't come out against the NRA or the 2A in any way, but the NRA managed to accuse them of exactly that. The read-between-the-lines stuff is for conspiracy theorists who think that...because a company doesn't continue to kiss the ring of another...they're behaving in disloyal fashion and have turned against their longtime ally. Yeti didn't do that of course, but they're getting all the blame for it. Well...plenty of it anyway....

Now the NRA has the appearance of acting like a tyrant out to just punish their former ally. I would hazard a guess that this doesn't end up helping the reputation of the NRA...an organization I once held in very high esteem for its honorable ways. I am disgusted by this, because I want the NRA to be unquestioned, ethical and honorable in it's ways...its reputation. To me it's not about sucker-punching any perceived threat as soon as declared. The whole NRA > Yeti debacle feels exactly like that's what took place. NRA's tactics may make it a strongman, but I think it doesn't play well with many sportsmen and the general public. People root against bullies....it's a natural tendency we'd best not forget.

I really REALLY could not care less what brand of cooler you or anyone chooses. Same with backpack, boots, bow, gun or breed of dog. If you think a brand of cooler is best for you, then buy it. You can buy Brand-A's cooler without throwing shade on Brand-B. But something tells me there's an inordinate amount of resentment or even hatred toward Yeti which preexisted this whole NRA deal. I suppose that's because people often tend to hate a winner or the 800 pound gorilla. Maybe it's the price. I happen to think a $160 pair of rubber boots from China is a rip-off, as they'll last me 5 years max and they have about $12 worth of raw materials in them. A good cooler...choose your brand...might cost you hundreds but will be around for decades if you give it basic care. A $4000 refrigerator will puke on you before your good cooler. It's only priced too high for you...or me...but not for everyone.

We are all losers when these entities spend time attacking each other and defending their ground. I don't come away from this feeling good. As I've said before: the winners are those who despise guns, hunting, the NRA, and not those of us who devote our lives to being sportsmen and sportswomen. People are assailing both the NRA and Yeti over this...and that's only good for my enemies. Thanks.

Last edited:

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
I imagine this will make it even more difficult for companies to become sponsors, not many will want to face the risk of scorched earth should they ever decide to change tactics.

I'm a former NRA member, and at some point I'll likely be one again. But it's amazing how much mail, and how many times they called me to get me to sign up, and sign back up. I'd imagine they spend more money in the stuff they mailed me, or more money just in the phone calls alone. I suppose it's possible the people calling were volunteers, and not being paid.

It may or may not be related, but the moment I stopped being an NRA member was the exact moment I started getting spam phone calls to my cell. I have often wondered if they sold my number. I like to tell myself they would not do that, because it helps me help them.

Too much blame game...not enough coherent PR on either side. Yeti should definitely have had the foresight to see the potential blowback, given the hypersensitivity of the NRA and its ability to detonate a semi-nuclear reaction. Yeti didn't mean to do it, but they fired a round through their own foot. The NRA deserves to be chastised for reacting so aggressively to a company which had been a staunch ally (apparently) and helped its cause through financially favoring its members. Yeti has every right to run its company as it sees best. They didn't come out against the NRA or the 2A in any way, but the NRA managed to accuse them of exactly that. The read-between-the-lines stuff is for conspiracy theorists who think that...because a company doesn't continue to kiss the ring of another...they're behaving in disloyal fashion and have turned against their longtime ally. Yeti didn't do that of course, but they're getting all the blame for it. Well...plenty of it anyway....

Now the NRA has the appearance of acting like a tyrant out to just punish their former ally. I would hazard a guess that this doesn't end up helping the reputation of the NRA...an organization I once held in very high esteem for its honorable ways. I am disgusted by this, because I want the NRA to be unquestioned, ethical and honorable in it's ways...its reputation. To me it's not about sucker-punching any perceived threat as soon as declared. The whole NRA > Yeti debacle feels exactly like that's what took place. NRA's tactics may make it a strongman, but I think it doesn't play well with many sportsmen and the general public. People root against bullies....it's a natural tendency we'd best not forget.

I really REALLY could not care less what brand of cooler you or anyone chooses. Same with backpack, boots, bow, gun or breed of dog. If you think a brand of cooler is best for you, then buy it. You can buy Brand-A's cooler without throwing shade on Brand-B. But something tells me there's an inordinate amount of resentment or even hatred toward Yeti which preexisted this whole NRA deal. I suppose that's because people often tend to hate a winner or the 800 pound gorilla. Maybe it's the price. I happen to think a $160 pair of rubber boots from China is a rip-off, as they'll last me 5 years max and they have about $12 worth of raw materials in them. A good cooler...choose your brand...might cost you hundreds but will be around for decades if you give it basic care. A $4000 refrigerator will puke on you before your good cooler. It's only priced too high for you...or me...but not for everyone.

We are all losers when these entities spend time attacking each other and defending their ground. I don't come away from this feeling good. As I've said before: the winners are those who despise guns, hunting, the NRA, and not those of us who devote our lives to being sportsmen and sportswomen. People are assailing both the NRA and Yeti over this...and that's only good for my enemies. Thanks.

I agree almost 100%. Only thing I’ll add is business requires relationships. Those get complicated at times. But, we all work for somebody. And if that somebody is in a place to require your special attention, then that’s what you do. That’s capitalism.

Last edited:

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
Oh, and the truth is probably closer to the middle.

It always is. As an NRA member you aren’t supposed to believe in this fairy-tale called “the middle” though.

I think my problem with the NRA stems from my problem with politics in general. I can’t stand people/organizations that peddle their ideas to the masses based on intellectually dishonest rhetoric. I’m a pragmatist and all, but damn it gets old.

Are there any smaller non-profits out there that support our gun rights, but in a less polarizing way?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You have an organization (NRA) designed to stop any infringements on a right, then on the other side you have people trying to infringe on that right. How, and why should they get along?

Yep. That's how I define "politics"......."compromising on our rights, or compromising on the most logical solution to an issue".

There are some things where compromise should NEVER happen, and our rights and logic are the top two.

The funny thing is.......the NRA and its members don't need Yeti, but Yeti may in fact need the NRA and its members.

lif

WKR
I asked earlier in this thread if the NRA had released an official statement and I still haven’t found it. I only see comments from one rogue Florida NRA lobbyist and her husband. Seems we spent a few days attacking yeti based on there comments and now we will spend a few days attacking the NRA. Yes Ryan, somewhere in the middle, and yes everyone else, this is the politics that run our country. Who needs facts when you’ve already got a team your on and a voice to tell everyone about it. I don’t own a yeti product and I don’t belong to the NRA, and somehow I don’t hate either one. Hmmmmm????