Early season elk clothing question

After much research and reading, I think I have my clothing narrowed down but want some input. I will be in southern Colorado near Weston aug 31-sep 8. This is what I’m thinking.

FL Allegheny
FL llano
FL chama
(Already have the first three pieces)
Sitka mountain pant
Core light weight hoody
Jetstream Vest
Jetstream jacket
Smart wool socks

I know I need rain gear but will work on that after I get the everyday gear finalized. I have read great things about the quarter zip traverse but I really like wool as a base layer and my FL is like pajamas. Will be hunting between 8500 and 10,000 as this is the highest terrain in the area we will be. Also, it seems that I may need a puffy but am very inexperienced with puffy jackets.

TIA for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Core light hoody is a base layer, if you're using FL merino as your base layer, you can cross that piece off your list- it's (Core) a great base layer, but you won't need two

the Core Heavyweight hood however would make a very nice mid-layer piece- can be layered over your base layer as a stand alone, or over the base layer and under a shelled garment

I'm not really big fan softshell garments, I'd much rather "make my own"- a grid fleece garment + a windhsirt gives you a softshell, but with one major difference- the windshirt can be used by itself over a base layer- you'll find early season that this is a winning combo OR the fleece can be used by itself as well, layered over a base layer when you want more warmth and maximum breathability OR add both for a "softshell" when you need warmth and wind/moisture resistance

OP
ddavis_1313
Core light hoody is a base layer, if you're using FL merino as your base layer, you can cross that piece off your list- it's (Core) a great base layer, but you won't need two

the Core Heavyweight hood however would make a very nice mid-layer piece- can be layered over your base layer as a stand alone, or over the base layer and under a shelled garment

I'm not really big fan softshell garments, I'd much rather "make my own"- a grid fleece garment + a windhsirt gives you a softshell, but with one major difference- the windshirt can be used by itself over a base layer- you'll find early season that this is a winning combo OR the fleece can be used by itself as well, layered over a base layer when you want more warmth and maximum breathability OR add both for a "softshell" when you need warmth and wind/moisture resistance

Any advice on a vest? I’ve found that the llano and chama work well when it’s 50 degrees but if the wind picks up, it cuts right through them. Also, not the biggest fan of the fit of the chama. Wish it was more athletic fitting.

I tend to be more warm when active. I hike into some public spots for whitetail and have done so with temps in the 30’s. I’ve also put out huge goose decoy spreads in single digits and found that minimal layers work best for me as long as I’m active. However, wind kills me. I feel like a jacket may be too much when active yet a vest to block the wind off my core may be the ticket if I run into that scenario. This also isn’t a backpack hunt so I have the luxury to have extra items if you will. But, I may be camping if I get into elk deep and don’t want to hike 2-3 hours back to the truck and then back again the following am.

Davebuech

WKR
A good vest to cut the wind and provide some extra warmth is the Mountain vest by Sitka. I wear mine under my Jetstream when the wind is whipping out here as it often does. Opening day turkey a week last Sat was 25 degrees 25-30 MPH winds and blowing snow. Core hoody as my base, Mountain vest and the Jetstream kept me rocking for 11 miles. Granted it wasn't a day to sit long in one place, but I rarely do so anyway.

OP
ddavis_1313
A good vest to cut the wind and provide some extra warmth is the Mountain vest by Sitka. I wear mine under my Jetstream when the wind is whipping out here as it often does. Opening day turkey a week last Sat was 25 degrees 25-30 MPH winds and blowing snow. Core hoody as my base, Mountain vest and the Jetstream kept me rocking for 11 miles. Granted it wasn't a day to sit long in one place, but I rarely do so anyway.

Thanks for the input!

IMO if you run hot the mountain pant will be too hot for you. That early in September in Colorado I’d be wearing the ascent or the new apex. I agree on the mountain vest. It is one of my favorite September layers in Colorado.

OP
ddavis_1313
IMO if you run hot the mountain pant will be too hot for you. That early in September in Colorado I’d be wearing the ascent or the new apex. I agree on the mountain vest. It is one of my favorite September layers in Colorado.

My legs don’t typically run that hot. It’s primarily my upper body that runs hot. During the summer in Texas, I’ll scout several miles in cargo pants that are cotton. My feet sweat a chit ton but my legs are usually ok for the most part. However, I’ll drench a thin polyester t shirt very quickly.

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member
My legs don’t typically run that hot. It’s primarily my upper body that runs hot. During the summer in Texas, I’ll scout several miles in cargo pants that are cotton. My feet sweat a chit ton but my legs are usually ok for the most part. However, I’ll drench a thin polyester t shirt very quickly.

For me it’s not about my legs sweating (mine don’t either). It’s about the muscle fatigue of climbing combined with less oxygen. My legs have been much happier by being cooler. I wore tiburons in late September in unit 851 (south of Weston) while scouting. The hunt was in November and wore something thicker that was still lighter than mountain pants. I did get cool while sitting (upper 20’s) while hunting so I bought some puffy pants. I burned up wearing a base layer under my pants at 40 degrees.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That first week of September you're more likely to see 70's and 80's down there. I can't imagine needing much more than your base layers and a lightweight shirt and pants. I hunt most the archery seasons with just merino bases, lightweight shirt and pants, and sometimes my lightweight microfleece mock-T between the merino and shirt. I very rarely need my rain jacket or puffy jacket, so if hunting from base camp I normally don't even take those with me.

OP
ddavis_1313
That first week of September you're more likely to see 70's and 80's down there. I can't imagine needing much more than your base layers and a lightweight shirt and pants. I hunt most the archery seasons with just merino bases, lightweight shirt and pants, and sometimes my lightweight microfleece mock-T between the merino and shirt. I very rarely need my rain jacket or puffy jacket, so if hunting from base camp I normally don't even take those with me.

This is what I expect as well. However, I would rather have it and not need it than have a freak storm come out of no where and ruin my day or run the risk of hypothermia

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
This is what I expect as well. However, I would rather have it and not need it than have a freak storm come out of no where and ruin my day or run the risk of hypothermia

When those "freak storms" pop up (the ones that last awhile), I just hike out to base camp with whatever I'm wearing at the time and all is well. As long as I'm moving, hypothermia isn't really a risk for me. But the normal for that time of year is more like an afternoon rain maybe with some hail that passes pretty quickly.

Wacm

FNG
I would definitely take a puffy jacket for the mornings. It was in the low to mid 30’s last year first week of sept. Froze my ass off a few mornings.

OP
ddavis_1313
I would definitely take a puffy jacket for the mornings. It was in the low to mid 30’s last year first week of sept. Froze my ass off a few mornings.

That’s what I’m planning