Lower 48 Grizzly Proposals

I’m sure everyone has heard that Wyoming is proposing a grizzly bear hunt this fall. I just heard that Idaho is starting a proposal for a hunt as well. Here are some links (below) for an opportunity to comment on the proposals. You know the antis are commenting and doing everything they can to stop this. From what I understand the population has more than enough bears. The Epic outdoors podcast just had one of Wyoming’s fish and game officers on and he said they’re using the most conservative approach possible and they are estimating ~700 bears. However, he said there could be as many as 1,200. I’m personally not interested in hunting Grizzlies (mostly because I couldn’t afford it) however I support everyone’s right to hunt! Please share your comments at the links below.

Public Feedback - 2018 Proposed Big Game Grizzly Bear Season | Idaho Fish and Game

Wyoming Grizz/Wolf Commentary

Apologies if this has already been posted. Please let everyone know if there’s another way for our voice to be heard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
I posted ...its quick and easy using your links.....

Thx guys for the heads up on this.

My comment;

Its about time we applied logic to this issue and added the hunting of Grizzly bears as a control.
Its time we stopped using emotional arguments and integrate Grizzly bears into a comprehensive wildlife management program for the health of our ungulate species and for public safety.

OP
Bowhunter50
Thanks! I tried to make it as easy as possible.

And that’s exactly how I feel on this issue. Emotion has been applied for way too long. Check out this article below. It seems to be full of incorrect info and emotion. This is what the grizzly proposal is up against.

Alert: Help us stop Wyoming and Idaho from opening trophy hunts on Yellowstone grizzly bears * A Humane Nation

We need more guys commenting on these proposals. If you go to the link and comment be sure to share it on this thread. The deadline for Wyoming is tomorrow!

Even if you don’t plan on spending $6k on a tag not to mention an outfitter... I believe this hunt would be a win for all hunting.

Last edited:

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks! I tried to make it as easy as possible.

And that’s exactly how I feel on this issue. Emotion has been applied for way too long. Check out this article below. It seems to be full of incorrect info and emotion. This is what the grizzly proposal is up against.

Alert: Help us stop Wyoming and Idaho from opening trophy hunts on Yellowstone grizzly bears * A Humane Nation

We need more guys commenting on these proposals. If you go to the link and comment be sure to share it on this thread. The deadline for Wyoming is tomorrow!

Even if you don’t plan on spending $6k on a tag not to mention an outfitter... I believe this hunt would be a win for all hunting.

I'm really fighting the urge to log in to that site and rain some truth bombs down on those New Jersey cat ladies in the comment section.

kbaerg

Lil-Rokslider
Yes please comment on this issue. Since I live in the heart of this griz system they need a management for sure. I have attended a few of the meetings and there are lots who want this to pass so we can
manage (hunt) them.

OP
Bowhunter50
I'm really fighting the urge to log in to that site and rain some truth bombs down on those New Jersey cat ladies in the comment section.

Haha yeah me too! It’s outrageous that they’re trying to say that a sow and cubs are in danger of “trophy hunters” on these hunts when the hunters are actually looking for the boars that would tear a cub apart.

Last edited:
Another good source of info

Episode 031: Wyoming Grizzly Management

4/12/18 by Lee Knox, Chris Sheets, Sam Lockwood, Adam Teten

Web player: Podplayer - Podcast Addict web player
Episode: http://dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp3//righttoroampodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/031-Final.mp3

http://dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp3//righttoroampodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/031-Final.mp3 Welcome back to the Right To Roam podcast! What a great conversation we have in store for you this week. The R2R crew sit down with Dr. Dan Thompson (aka The Smartest Redneck (we know)) who is the current head of the large carnivore division of the Wyoming Game and Fish. Dan holds a PhD from South Dakota State University for his work with mountain lions in the Black Hills of South Dakota and Wyoming. Dan is a phenomenal resource as his professional and personal interest with large carnivores and human interactions over the last 15 years has provided a wealth of knowledge and experience from which to draw upon. Dan also serves in an adjunct faculty role for Montana State University, South Dakota State University, the University of Montana, University of Wyoming and for Utah State University.
With the Cowboy state managing its grizzly bear population and proposing a 2018 hunting season, Dan was the man to speak with. Following the Go Fund Me shout-outs, the guys and Dan cover some basic grizzly biology and history. The conversation then dives into some of the more recent management practices that have been instrumental in aiding the great bear’s recovery and ultimate de-listing from the the Endangered Species list. Finally, the crew flesh out the state of Wyoming’s proposal for a 2018 grizzly bear hunt. This is a landmark event in wildlife management for the state of Wyoming as well as the lower 48. We hope you enjoy this episode as much as we have making it and bringing it to you. If you haven’t already, please take the time to check out our Go Fund Me campaign and contribute if you feel led to do so, thanks in advance for your consideration! Please take the time to like and share your favorite R2R episode and don’t forget to subscribe as we will be riding the grizzly train for a couple more episodes. Happy Trails!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
Bowhunter50
Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to listening to this one.

OP
Bowhunter50

It’s ironic that this “scientist” claims that the Idaho fish and game isn’t using science but yet states that there should be tens of thousands of grizzly bears based on populations before settlers came. I would like to see her research backing that statement. Does she want grizzlies coming into town? The human footprint in Grizz country is a bit larger than it was back then and wouldn’t allow for the same population size.

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Them: "You stupid trophy hunters are killing off all the cuddly Grizzlies just so you can get your jollys off!"

Also Them: *Owns a house on land that used to be prime Grizzly habitat.

OP
Bowhunter50
Human encroachment is really what makes these hunts necessary.

Tonight’s the last night for Wyoming. Be sure to comment!

jtl

FNG
Yeah, that was my thought as well. I guess we can all claim to be "scientists" in order to try and convince people that our non-scientific opinion is more valid.