Who owns rights to animal selfies

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
It'll be interesting to see how this works out since the 9th Court of Appeals decided to rule on the case even though there was a settlement and yesterday they announced that animals have no right to sue, so now I wonder if the photographer will sue PETA for forcing the guy to settle.

Judge N. Randy Smith, in a concurrence, called PETA's suit "frivolous."

"The concept of expanding actual property rights — and rights broadly — to animals necessitates resolving what duties also come with those rights," he wrote, "and, because animals cannot communicate in our language, who stands in their shoes?"

He said the federal courts lack the authority to hear a suit purportedly brought by an animal.

Copyrights are a bitch when it comes to photos, and ownership is vague and almost always lands on the side of the person who pressed the button of the camera... even if its my camera and I set the shot up, if you hit the button its technically your copyright.

Randle

WKR
It's a monkey for crying out loud........wow. just wow . What a waste of time and money.
It is a cool picture though.

OP
C
"Getting" ridiculous? Ever since PETA and all the other liberal groups have shown up, it has been ridiculous. Sanity, logic, and reason definitely left the building with these nutjobs.

Oh completely agree, I Just don’t get how you couldn’t win so bad in a counter suit that they would ever be able to operate. To me that’s just idiotic to open yourself to that kind of liability, but yet they do it and get away with it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Oh completely agree, I Just don’t get how you couldn’t win so bad in a counter suit that they would ever be able to operate. To me that’s just idiotic to open yourself to that kind of liability, but yet they do it and get away with it.

They get away with it because our courts, and our schools, and our societies are filled with liberals these days. Common sense was the first to go, but common sense was based on logic and reason. So now logic and reason is disappearing as well, and insanity and lunacy are replacing them. I fully expected that eventually......I was just hoping that it wouldn't happen in my lifetime. The last 20 years has been a race to the bottom of the cesspool, and it's getting faster and faster every year.

gabenzeke

WKR
Although I've always said people calling for secession are nut jobs, I'm starting to think it's worth considering if it could be done along party lines.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

HookUp

WKR
If an animal walks in front of your trail camera and takes a "selfie" through a motion sensor the owner of the camera has no right to the picture?

I'm glad the court settled this pressing issue!