Western Ranch Hand Jobs / Outfitter helpers, etc.

tmwtrfwler

Lil-Rokslider
Western Ranch Hand - Jobs / Outfitter helpers, etc.

My bosses son is 19, motivated to work, high drive, college isn't his thing, loves the outdoors, and hunts his a$$ off. He's really capable with his hands working, framing, etc.. Smart kid that learns fast but needs a chance.

Looking for advice on how to network for him to find a starter job out west. Working on a ranch in the off season, working for an outfitter during the season, etc. Or simply working on a ranch full time. Then if the outfitter thing works great. Regardless he's interested in doing something away from Virginia that will be rewarding and challenging.

Thanks for any input. Would like to help this kid out.

Last edited:
Send him to ND to work in the oil field. He can work 2 weeks on 1 week off. He will make enough to hunt any state he wants to. If he is decent he should make over $100k his first year. Problem with guiding is that you don't get the time to hunt yourself. If he is interested in something like that let me know.

NDGuy

WKR
Send him to ND to work in the oil field. He can work 2 weeks on 1 week off. He will make enough to hunt any state he wants to. If he is decent he should make over $100k his first year. Problem with guiding is that you don't get the time to hunt yourself. If he is interested in something like that let me know.

There still jobs out there? I thought most of the jobs were toast.

sndmn11

WKR
I would try to find the outfitting association of each state, Colorado Outfitters Association is one, and start calling. At least half of the outfitters who I talk to are begging for help come mid summer.

There still jobs out there? I thought most of the jobs were toast.

Pretty much every company I talk to is shorthanded. I just got done talking to an operator that lives in California. He lives in Cali and works out here. He brings home more money even after flying home every 2 weeks working in ND then he can in Cali. Lots of room to move up if you are a good hand right now.

When it comes to guiding its kind of tough. Clients aren't in shape so you are doing everything you can to get them on an animal. They suck at shooting. They complain because they didn't get the next world record. And on and on. And it doesn't pay jack. Not all clients are like that. But most of the hunters that use an outfitter aren't the guys getting on rokslide either.

The guys that make a career out of guiding are definitely unique individuals. Its tough work, with long hours, little pay/benefits, and you hardly ever get to be the trigger man.

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
Send him to a guide school if he can afford it. Royal Tine out of Philipsburg Montana is awesome. Every graduate gets a guiding job offer. I'm sure someone here on the forum has done it. I worked for a fellow guide that went here, I just got lucky because my neighbor was an outfitter. Great school, plenty of outfitters looking for guides with some experience. Pretty much any guide school would be my recommendation. Most include housing and meals from what I've seen. Great way to get your foot in the door out west.

Scrappy

WKR
The oilfields in Wyoming are hiring as well. My uncle is trying to hire heavy equipment mechanic there now. He can work right up to opening day, quit, and be in elk country that same day. Dang now I want to apply too.

Haha oh man, this thread title.

In all seriousness though, I worked on a ranch outside of Gunnison, CO back in the summer of 2009 (if I would have been graduated from college before I went, I never would have come home) and had the opportunity to return the following summer. There are plenty of outfitters around that area that are probably always looking for help. You'd just have to be able to work odd jobs as the seasons roll by to cobble together full time throughout the year.