Suggestions for first aid courses for wilderness situations

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure how in depth I want to go but I know I want to take one of more courses to help in case of injury or illness where help is not readily at hand.

I do not have any medical professional experience so this would be layman's type courses and or training.

What do you folks recommend?

Thanks

ColoradoV

WKR
If you got the time take a wilderness first responder class. Takes a few days but is good information to have.

Google it there is pry one in your area.

Wilderness first aid is a 16 hour course. $250 ish

Wilderness first responder is 70 hours. $600 ish

I have taken both. Wilderness first aid is probably what your after.

I did a wilderness first aid course three or so years ago. It was definitely something I’m glad to have taken, and isn’t overly time consuming.

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
Just pay me to go hunting with you. Haha.

In all honesty the actual care part of injuries and illness in the field are the easy parts. If it’s bleeding put pressure on it if that doesn’t work put a tourniquet on it. If it’s broken and floppy tie a stick above and below it. (Again I joke).

The real difficult part of wilderness medicine and anytime someone is sick or injured even at home is logistics. Getting someone out of the woods safely and being able to relay info to rescue crews while keeping calm is the most difficult part.

Another thing to consider other than wilderness first aid is a general wilderness survival school such as nature reliance or the pathfinder school which not only teaches in theory but asks that your complete scenarios. They also touch on first aid as well.

Good for you though for wanting to be educated and not just buying a basic first aid kit and tossing it in your pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nols has Wilderness First Responder as well as Wilderness EMT courses. They are legit.
Obliviously you have to test for the registry for EMT. Both courses deal with Medevac options etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk