Daypack food/snacks?

Sorry if this isn't where this thread goes - not sure where else to put it.

Going on a western hunt this fall, staying in a hotel so just out for the day, and I'm curious what kind of snacks/food you guys pack for your day hunts?

Trail mix/nuts? Jerky?

Mosby

WKR
If I am day hunting, I will pack a sandwich, some trail mix and a protein bar. I am not a jerky guy, so I never take it. I am trying to get away from candy bars but I will break down and take a snickers later in the week. I don't get real hungry during the day when hunting at altitude but I like having a little extra food in my pack in case I have to stay out later processing or packing out meat. I never skimp on water. I like to have at least 4 liters for the day. I always save one for the end of the day, in case I need it going out.

Ranger619

WKR
I take jerky, some kind of trail mix (homemade or purchased), and some homemake granola type bars. Nothing too interesting, I guess.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
lots of Cliff Mojo bars, a couple of butthole sandwiches (bagel, peanut butter, honey and bacon) and a couple of Snickers

I always take a half dozen Mojo bars that are in another ziplock- these are emergency rations just in case, that go in the bottom of the pack

apples, power bars, I kill a ton of ducks and make a lot of duck jerky sticks so they end up in the pack. Ususally make a PBJ sandwich as they seem to travel well. I usually have a small MSR stove with me and I like having a cup a noodle soup or a raman noodle with me. A hot bowl of soup just gives so much energy, especially when it is cold.

brocksw

WKR
I've tried a lot the protein bars. Clif, health warrior, quest, Vega, primal kitchen... Most don't taste great and some give me heartburn.

Peanut butter snickers, reg snickers, butterfingers, heath bars, perfect bars (in late season), always put a smile on my face... They taste good enough to completely forget how bad they are for you. Hunting season is the only time of year I allow myself to eat a candy bar.

Gonna try those onnit protein bites this year and see how those are.

I've made some sort peanut butter balls with almond meal and those were good too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bring two sandwiches for sure. at least i always do..being out in the woods hiking at 5 am or earlier i seem to want my first sandwich by about 8-9 am...then im hungry again around lunch time.
standard issue...
two sandwiches, a few single serving costco trail mixes, jerky, fun size candy bars, and lots of water.
have fun!

brocksw

WKR
I almost forgot a Hersheys with almonds... The dark horse.

Chunk of pepperoni and cheese is another solid choice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
My favorite thing is Clif Bloks. They come with caffeine, gummy chews. Nice pick me up on long hikes. Come without caffeine too.
6c5d11e673071bf47cc93ac150193762.jpg

Me personally I always go with snickers and nutty butty bars never failed when I was a kid for my dad to have either of those in his pack, everytime I get one out I think of those good times. As far as meals go I like to stop at the local gas station and throw a couple breakfast burritos in my pack for throughout they day.

Dusty2426

WKR
Payday bars. Nice mix of salty and sweet great energy cleaner than most protein bars. And I usually pack butthole sandwich and regular (ham. And cheese or bologna. Sometimes salami.

LostArra

WKR
In addition to everything mentioned above I like to carry a crisp apple or two or those easy-to-peel oranges. They seem to hit the spot with all the dense packaged stuff I eat. When treestand hunting I've had deer sniff and pick up the orange peels or apple cores so who knows, maybe a cover scent too.:D

When elk hunting another go-to is a Clif Shot energy gel, mocha with caffeine, for about 3 o'clock when things start picking up especially if the morning has been slow or I've taken a nap waiting on thermals or elk to get off their beds.

Gnatboy911

Lil-Rokslider
Since it hasn't been mentioned, I'll share... Those sealed foil tuna packs are my go-to item. I buy them 20 or 30 at a time when I find them on sale. Lots of different flavors. (the ranch flavor sucks...its horrible don't waste your money) I always put in two of those and either a shorty sleeve of ritz crackers or a tortilla to eat it with. Don't forget your long spoon! I usually only end up eating one, but I like to have an extra in case something happens and I need more food. They weight very little and take up hardly any space.

I also always have an apple or 2, sometimes one of those little oranges, couple types of trail mix, and a couple granola bars/fruit cereal bars. The cereal bars are usually my breakfast after hiking in. I'm not much of a breakfast eater. I usually prep these food bags in gallon ziplocs so each morning I can just grab a new one and go.

boom

WKR
day pack food hunting? no brainer for me. cherry frosted pop tarts :)

its the only time i allow myself to eat them..hell, i assume i'll burn the calories.

OP
cornfedkiller
day pack food hunting? no brainer for me. cherry frosted pop tarts :)

Haven't had them since I was in school, but I always remember being super excited to pull them out of my backpack after a couple of hours and then being very disappointed when the little foil wrapper was full of crumbles :(

boom

WKR
Haven't had them since I was in school, but I always remember being super excited to pull them out of my backpack after a couple of hours and then being very disappointed when the little foil wrapper was full of crumbles :(

there is that. best crumbs ever. same situation with hard boiled eggs..they never stay intact.

keller

WKR
not sure if anyone has tried these but I'm going to try them this year reviews seem good.
gatoraide prime energy chews
gatoraide prime fuel bar
gatoraide whey protein recover bars.
gatoraide endurance powder mix no artificial sweeteners or flavors.