Big 2500 HD to tow junk 100s of miles, then how do you get to trail head?

Billinsd

WKR
I drive a 4 door 4x4 Tacoma, which hauls all my stuff to where ever I'm going for quick trips. It works out well. There are just a few times I wished I had a quad or UTV to drive around instead of that truck.

I'm getting ready to retire in 5 or 7 years and would like to spend weeks on end hunting.......I'd like to get a trailer to be comfortable, but that complicates things a lot. First world, quality problems!!!!

Ideally I would buy another truck to pull a trailer and use that truck like I've used my Tacoma to four wheel around. The problem is I am going to need a big 1/2 ton or probably 3/4 ton truck for a 24 to 30 something trailer. I really don't want to go much off a dirt road with a big truck, especially a diesel 2500 HD GMC. I usually end up on really, rough, narrow, rocky, bouldery two tracks with my Tacoma.

What I've usually seen guys do is drive a big truck, trailer, and quad or UTV. Or drive a 1/2 ton only with a smaller travel trailer. They park that whole mess sometimes miles from where they hunt and ride in on a UTV or quad.

The real wild card is my wife. I can't really predict if she is going to want to spend a lot of time with me, or just a few weeks here and there in a trailer. I'd like to have a plush nice trailer for her, but real Spartan if it's just me.

I'm kinda leaning on say a 2500 HD GMC diesel, a travel trailer, and a Honda 500 pioneer. The Honda Pioneer could fit in the back of the truck and I could get something to support the tailgate and buy a heavy duty trailer hitch extension good for towing 10,000 plus pounds. That Nissan Titan looks real nice, but it "could" be a thousand or so too light on hauling capacity.

What do you all do that haul a trailer hundreds of miles up and down the mountains to four wheel around on two tracks and rough roads, once you get there?

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
Oh, yes I've heard a bunch of times buy the trailer and truck you will eventually want. The problem is I don't know what I will want. I may just get a used trailer and used truck that I won't lose much selling to upgrade. Feel free to post photos, I'm real visual....

EastMT

WKR
Have you considered a toy hauler trailer? They come in all kinds, from roughing it to luxury.

I went the el cheapo route, turned a 20’ enclosed trailer into a camper, can haul 2 wheelers inside, one in bed of truck. Installed counter, sink, bed, cabinets minimally. Have 2 large cots for hunting buddies that want to sleep in my hard tent. Wired electricity, can plug into small generator and run a space heater at night if kids are along. Weighs around 3000 lbs, so I didn’t have to buy a $50k diesel. Not for everyone, but I didn’t want to spend a bunch of money on something worth half in a few years.

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
Thanks and yes I have considered toy haulers. I thought that toy haulers were heavier than travel trailers?
What you are explaining would be for me mostly and not my wife. What I didn't mention is she said she'd eventually like to travel around with me for up to 6 months. She doesn't "just" want to go hunting, she would like to visit some cities and other places.

If you want to get a truck that you will haul a utv in get a long bed. Then, shop for one that will fit the bed. I believe something like that 500 Honda would fit and you could at least partially close the tail gate.

Another option is a toy hauler so you can just haul the machine in the trailer.

I have a 30ft toy hauler. I am in the process of getting a deck to put my utv on so I can haul it as it won't fit in my bed. I think it will wok well.

As far as a truck goes, get a 1 ton if you are going to pull a big trailer. You will be much happier.

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2015 dmax and love it. It's a pretty darn good off-roader I would highly recommend. I am planning pulling a 26 foot travel trailer and throwing a quad in the bed this fall for most of my hunts!

dotman

WKR
Just keep in mind they longer and bigger the trailer the less places you can actually take it. I have a 24ft travel trailer with a slide and Murphy bed, feels like a bigger setup then it is. I just put the atv in the bed of my truck. Thing I don’t like about toy haulers they feel like garages with living space unless you get a huge 5th wheel where the garage is a separate area.

rlmmarine

WKR
Just sold my travel trailerthis year and bought a motor home. Now I can pull the sxs when I'm going hunting and can take the wife and kids to all those other places

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Chevy 2500 crew cab duramax with a 6 foot bed and can fit a Polaris explorer 500 in the bed with the tailgate up and tow a trailer. Not sure what the wheel base is on the ATV you are looking at but I'm sure it's close to the same.

ahlgringo

WKR
I have a Honda Pio 500, and a Ram 2500 with an 8ft bed. I can haul the Pioneer in the back with the tailgate shut. So any long bed (true 8ft) should suit you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out Dune Sport travel trailers. You can design your own trailer from luxury to barebones and tiny to big. Price is very good too. For me, I'll never use a microwave or A/C when in the woods so it is silly to buy a factory unit with those installed. I'd rather have a decent solar system and easy-to-clean linoleum floors.

Added benefit of a toy hauler is an easy place to lay a carcass or get big coolers in and out of the trailer. A Dune Sport will be my next base camp purchase - just have to finish wearing out the 16' trailer I currently have first! And, smaller is better when in the woods! Never know when you might have to J-hole a trailer and turn around in a cramped area. I've turned mine around with a wheeler before on a narrow forest road - not recommended, but doable in an emergency.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You should decide first ic you're going to want a bumper pull, or a fifth wheel type trailer. Fifth wheel will kill any thoughts of hauling a sxs in the bed of the truck. Fifth wheel toy hauler would be my choice, and every guy I know that wheels in a 2500 series breaks stuff on a regular basis. Park that thing on the road and ride the UTV.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have several diesels from all three of the major domestic manufacturers.... I cannot in good faith reccomend one unless you absolutely need it. I can tell you a DEF system will run you about $8000 to replace... that was a cute little bill. I can tell you that emission sensoring stuff going off constantly is a pleasant little surprise every morning. Low idle lights and restrictions you need to abide by is really fun. etc... Turbos, injectors... etc... There's no end to fixing them. If you can find a dmax or cummins (pre def) it won't be as bad. However I've still done plenty of injectors from 150K on in those.... A maint bill under $1500 on a diesel is somewhat of a rarity now.

I've had problems with all three. Many have been covered by warranty but when that runs out your on your own and unless you're using it to make money I don't know how anyone can justify a diesel. Aside from the diesel specific problems (and there's been many) they've all came with their own separate assiitonal problems to. I love how my GM's get stuck in 4wd drive in the winter... Electronic 4wd is so fun...

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
Yes, we will rent some travel trailers and toy haulers before buying anything. I was telling my wife how I like the Murphy bed and she said she'd like to have a separate bedroom. She means the master bedroom on a fifth wheel. I got a few years to figure it all out. I love to plan and dream about it. Thanks Bill

I drive a 4 door 4x4 Tacoma, which hauls all my stuff to where ever I'm going for quick trips. It works out well. There are just a few times I wished I had a quad or UTV to drive around instead of that truck.

I'm getting ready to retire in 5 or 7 years and would like to spend weeks on end hunting.......I'd like to get a trailer to be comfortable, but that complicates things a lot. First world, quality problems!!!!

Ideally I would buy another truck to pull a trailer and use that truck like I've used my Tacoma to four wheel around. The problem is I am going to need a big 1/2 ton or probably 3/4 ton truck for a 24 to 30 something trailer. I really don't want to go much off a dirt road with a big truck, especially a diesel 2500 HD GMC. I usually end up on really, rough, narrow, rocky, bouldery two tracks with my Tacoma.

What I've usually seen guys do is drive a big truck, trailer, and quad or UTV. Or drive a 1/2 ton only with a smaller travel trailer. They park that whole mess sometimes miles from where they hunt and ride in on a UTV or quad.

The real wild card is my wife. I can't really predict if she is going to want to spend a lot of time with me, or just a few weeks here and there in a trailer. I'd like to have a plush nice trailer for her, but real Spartan if it's just me.

I'm kinda leaning on say a 2500 HD GMC diesel, a travel trailer, and a Honda 500 pioneer. The Honda Pioneer could fit in the back of the truck and I could get something to support the tailgate and buy a heavy duty trailer hitch extension good for towing 10,000 plus pounds. That Nissan Titan looks real nice, but it "could" be a thousand or so too light on hauling capacity.

What do you all do that haul a trailer hundreds of miles up and down the mountains to four wheel around on two tracks and rough roads, once you get there?

Thanks
Bill

I deflate my tires, and keep chains in my truck. I also stick to the road.

When in doubt walk it out

Seldom an issue.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Says the guy that don't have to haul horses/cows/hay/equipment around every day......
Says the guy who didn't quote the full statement. You left out the part about using it to make money. All of those things you mentioned go hand in hand with making money.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk