.22 LR sight

Dunndm

WKR
What's the best/cheapest sight out there for a .22 Rifle? I only use it to harvest small game and occasional smaller bird.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a hundred ways to answer this question.

Do you want a scope? Iron sights? Red dot?

If it is a 10/22 and you like to shoot iron sights I'm a fan of the Tech-Sights. I have them on a takedown model and they are a huge improvement over the factory iron sights.
Ruger 10/22 Products | Tech Sights

If you want a scope, the Leopold 2-7 is a great lightweight rimfire scope with a very useful magnification range
Amazon.com : Leupold 113872 VX-1 Rimfire Scope with Fine Duplex Reticle, Matte Black Finish : Rifle Scopes : Sports & Outdoors

I don't know what kind of red dot, I don't really like them but many do.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I guess I should have clarified that, I'll be looking for a scope, don't plan on shooting more then 75 yards, it's a semi auto, .22 puma (much more into bows then guns) so I'm not really helpful on info.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Also trying to keep it in the 75$ range (I use it pretty minimal)

EastMT

WKR
I use an old redfield straight 4x on my 22. Has a super fine target dot in the middle, just about the size of a grouse eye when looking through it. Probability $50 on eBay.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I use an old redfield straight 4x on my 22. Has a super fine target dot in the middle, just about the size of a grouse eye when looking through it. Probability $50 on eBay.

Thanks for the input.

If I'm going to be shooting on average 40-75 yards would it be better to get a fixed magnified sight, or an adjustable?
I know it's personal preference but what does everyone like?

EastMT

WKR
I like adjustable for some things, but honestly for 22, straight power is my favorite unless it’s on a heavy barreled target rifle. Some of the older redfield 2-7, 3-9 can be in that range also.

I’ve used a few BSA scopes, they are ok. The newer stuff in that price range is not real great quality, I didn’t need some $500 Scope on my 22 either, so I went with the straight 4x in the older, quality that I could get at that price.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you don't need to use the ballistic reticle much, this is a steal for $16......Cabela's Caliber-Specific Rimfire Riflescopes : Cabela's

I have four of these Cabela's Caliber Specific Rimfire scopes......two .22LR's and two .17 HMR's. They work great. That one above for $16 is for the .17 WSM, but the only difference in the scopes is the reticle that's used. They are ballistic reticles for each caliber, but you could always just set the scope up for dead on at 50 and go from there.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
If you don't need to use the ballistic reticle much, this is a steal for $16......Cabela's Caliber-Specific Rimfire Riflescopes : Cabela's

I have four of these Cabela's Caliber Specific Rimfire scopes......two .22LR's and two .17 HMR's. They work great. That one above for $16 is for the .17 WSM, but the only difference in the scopes is the reticle that's used. They are ballistic reticles for each caliber, but you could always just set the scope up for dead on at 50 and go from there.

You have to explain that a little more: I'm kinda lost. As far as I know a scope has 2 black lines that cross, you can zoom in and out and that's about it.

DWarcher

WKR
You have to explain that a little more: I'm kinda lost. As far as I know a scope has 2 black lines that cross, you can zoom in and out and that's about it.

Watch the video on the link for an explanation.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Watch the video on the link for an explanation.

So it's like an arrow and a bow? You sight it in to an exact arrow/weight then you shoot that?

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a fixed weaver on my .22 that’s pretty nice and my old man has been running a cheapo Simmons on his 10/22 for 25 years and it works just as well.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I don't know much about the really cheap scopes and honestly, Id rather spend 200 bucks and never have to think about it again than buy something cheap and have it not stay zeroed, break etc. I had a Simmons that I paid about 50 bucks for and it was such a piece of shit that I decided from there on out I'd pay a little more for quality.

Look at brands like Leupold, Weaver, Vortex and Nikon, they all make some nice rimfire scopes, you can even look at midway USA and narrow the search to rimfire scopes.

I use a 22lr fairly often for small game hunting, practice and plinking and I use the leupold vx1 2-7x28mm rimfire, I also have an FX1 rimfire 4 power scope that sits on a 10/22, I love those things, they stay sighted in no matter what and I never wish Id spent more and gotten better scopes.

Trial153

WKR
Just me, I would hunt eBay and classified for any old VX 1 I could find....bet you get one for under 100.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I don't know much about the really cheap scopes and honestly, Id rather spend 200 bucks and never have to think about it again than buy something cheap and have it not stay zeroed, break etc. I had a Simmons that I paid about 50 bucks for and it was such a piece of shit that I decided from there on out I'd pay a little more for quality.

Look at brands like Leupold, Weaver, Vortex and Nikon, they all make some nice rimfire scopes, you can even look at midway USA and narrow the search to rimfire scopes.

I use a 22lr fairly often for small game hunting, practice and plinking and I use the leupold vx1 2-7x28mm rimfire, I also have an FX1 rimfire 4 power scope that sits on a 10/22, I love those things, they stay sighted in no matter what and I never wish Id spent more and gotten better scopes.

Il kelp and eye out, not in any huge rush to go out and find one but if I find a nice sight for a good deal or the ones you've mentioned ill be sure to pounce on it

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

It's like any other ballistic range reticle. You have the vertical and horizontal lines that cross in the middle, but the vertical line has additional markings below the middle so you can raise the scope on your target at further distances. These scopes are "caliber specific", so each of those additional markings represent a set distance based on the ballistics of the round.

If you don't need those additional markings, then you just sight in the scope like normal for whatever rifle you put it on and ignore those markings.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
It's like any other ballistic range reticle. You have the vertical and horizontal lines that cross in the middle, but the vertical line has additional markings below the middle so you can raise the scope on your target at further distances. These scopes are "caliber specific", so each of those additional markings represent a set distance based on the ballistics of the round.

If you don't need those additional markings, then you just sight in the scope like normal for whatever rifle you put it on and ignore those markings.

Thank you! That's a perfect explanation