Delta $200 baggage fee for SKB bow case

Delta Airlines hit me for a $200 oversized fee on an SKB double bow case today. I check bags of similar size roughly 10x a year. Typically its bow and double rifle cases but sometimes it's golf or snowboarding stuff. I've never been charged this before.

I checked with their help desk in the airport after clearing TSA and was told that they typically wave the fee for sporting equipment as long as additional clothes aren't mixed in with sporting equipment. After reading deltas policy it in fact includes additional oversized fees for archery that it doesn't mention for firearms or other sporting goods.. WTF! Guess I'll need to book with other carriers or pack a pistol every time in the bow hardcase.

Last edited:
OP
wind gypsy
After talking with Customer service and reading their policy a little more, you could get charged $200 for a rifle case as well. Seems its just luck of the draw on how the person checking your bag wants to treat you. I caught some anti vibes from the person checking me in today. Funny thing is I've flown Delta out of LAX a couple times where the person checking my luggage was flustered and confused by the presence of guns, yet they never charged.

Regardless, they will be losing 6-8 flights a year from me based on this nonsense.

Edit: Looking through other airline policies - American and United don't explicitly call for allowing oversized gun/archery cases (over 62" measuring L+W+H of your case) and you could likely get charged additional although I haven't in the past (like Delta).

Alaska seems to be good to go for rifles and Bows (as expected).

Southwest seems like they should be good for guns but not for archery without additional fees.

Last edited:

rlmmarine

WKR
I flew on delta going to Thompson ca I found out if you upgrade your ticket to first class baggage fees are waived and they get preferential treatment. It cost me an additional 120 each way I think to get upgraded last minute it was defiantly a win win. Look into that next time

reaperukon

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll add this as some additional data:

I’m originally from Texas and now living 1200 mi (24 hrs away driving) and without my essential Texas foods. So three or four times a year someone either comes here or we travel down there. We fly first class and the first trip we decided to pack the yeti 75 and bring it back full of Blue Bell ice cream. If you’ve been to Texas you know what you’d be missing. So we did. Packed 12 half gallons and a bunch of pints with dry ice and some ice packs. Total weight was close to 100lbs. Took it to delta and was ready for the riot act. She took my id locates my ticket and slapped a sticker on the cooler and had to schleps come over and lift it on the conveyor belt. No charge. Cooler got there in perfect condition.

Might be worth the price in some cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
My wife and I fly a tandem bike in a large case (It comes apart in middle). Delta has a $150 fixed fee for a bike. When we flew in January the women checking us in said $385 and tried to do the oversize/over-weight thing. I just said "wow, we have never paid that before. Isn't a bike a fixed $150 fee?" She clicked away and immediately dropped it to $150. On the way home they did not question it and did $150.

We have the Delta credit card. Not sure if that was a factor. I may print the policy next time to have along. Pisses me off how golf clubs typically get by as a bag but us evil hunters (and bikers) get dinged.

Schism

WKR
I too have been charged the extra fee by Delta for my SKB bow case. I was shocked when I was only charged when checking in on my return flight but wasn’t charged on when I flew to my destination. It seems the check-in agent has a lot of discretion when it comes to additional baggage fees. Because of that experience I do my best to fly Alaska Air whenever I can because they seem to be more lenient on baggage fees for sportsmen.

OP
wind gypsy
I flew on delta going to Thompson ca I found out if you upgrade your ticket to first class baggage fees are waived and they get preferential treatment. It cost me an additional 120 each way I think to get upgraded last minute it was defiantly a win win. Look into that next time

Good to know, I'll consider in the future. Last I saw the upgrade on these Minneapolis to LA flights was $300+.

I'll have to do some stereotyping at the people at the check in desks in the future too..

TXCO

WKR
Typically the major airlines always charge you the overweight and oversize ( Max 62 inch LxWxH) fee regardless of the contents. I have gotten burned by 2 inches. The exceptions usually are Alaska Air and Southwest. A lot of times the second checked bag fee is far cheaper than paying the oversize/overweight fee so be sure to do some research on the airline before you pack.

You can find single gun cases that meet the ruler test, but its real hard for a single bow, let alone a double bow. I have always wondered why SKB or others dont do more to find a way to offer an airline compliant case. I always have extra room after packing a bow.

They way I have gotten around it for years is packing my bow in a duffle bag with one hard side for support. Then you can compress it down to meet the 62 inch requirement and you typically dont have to declare a bow.

Cabelas rolling wheeled Ripcord XL duffel ($159 US) will haul your bow(s) (up to 35-1/4" axle to axle) and archery gear in a soft bowcase plus sleeping bag, clothes, boots, etc. The 42" x 18" x 18" will hold a bunch so watch the weight, ideally <50#s and absolutely <70#s. I only paid about $28 CA/trip for the oversize luggage charge. I carried on my rangefinder, binos, battery pack and INReach for a trip within Canada recently.

TXCO

WKR
Get some Olympic bumper stickers or some team USA target archery stickers and put them on the case. Should short-circuit such problems.

Ive also seen people use music & band stickers on bow and gun cases. That usually helps with baggage handlers and their care when they think its an instrument..

mvmnts

WKR
Every carrier has exorbitant extra fees for bow and rifle cases. Find a carrier with a fee you can live with and cross your fingers. I've flown with my SKB bow case a couple times now and I just go to check it like a normal bag, don't ask don't tell. I have hunting stickers on my case and they always ask if it's a firearm and I tell them it's a bow. No problems. And I've never been charged so far. Just be prepared to pay and hope for the best.

wapitibob

WKR
Post up on Target Archery Unlimited facebook and they'll know the one to use. I believe SW is the one all the pros are using.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Every carrier has exorbitant extra fees for bow and rifle cases. Find a carrier with a fee you can live with and cross your fingers. I've flown with my SKB bow case a couple times now and I just go to check it like a normal bag, don't ask don't tell. I have hunting stickers on my case and they always ask if it's a firearm and I tell them it's a bow. No problems. And I've never been charged so far. Just be prepared to pay and hope for the best.

I've never paid anything for my Pelican 1750 on Southwest.

colonel00

WKR

I have yet to pay any extra fees flying bow/gun/rod cases mostly to and from Alaska. I mostly fly Alaska Air but have flown Delta, United and even Frontier way back. Maybe I've just been lucky too.

In the last couple of years, I've flown a lot for work...like 98 segments last year. As with many situations in life, a little courtesy and forethought can get you a long ways. Remember, these folks are stuck dealing with stupid people all day long.