Delta $200 baggage fee for SKB bow case

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
I got charged similarly by American back in January for my SKB bow case. Looks like we are all wise to stick with Southwest if possible.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just got off the phone with Delta and they said that oversize baggage applies even if I were to upgrade to First Class on domestic flights.

Grrrr

I won't be flying Delta again without some prior thought going into shipping my gear ahead of time.

Live2hunt custom shelters

OP
wind gypsy
I just got off the phone with Delta and they said that oversize baggage applies even if I were to upgrade to First Class on domestic flights.

Grrrr

I won't be flying Delta again without some prior thought going into shipping my gear ahead of time.

Live2hunt custom shelters

Good luck man. I would bet you have a 90% chance of not getting charged. It just sucks when you do!

Typically i pre pay for bags on delta...this past fall when i flew to BC i did not pre pay for my rifle case since it exceeded the dimensions...just arrive early, be friendly and smile...more than likely you wont end up paying extra. I never have

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ruskin

WKR
I have status with delta (Gold Level) and i've never had an issue checking in or extra fees. I am using the premier checking lines, so maybe they are more lax / accommodating.

I flew to Appling GA and back this past weekend for a ASA Archery tourney. Kept my case under 50# and had no issue. Just the normal 25$ bag fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
In most cases, most airlines, they can charge you steep fees if they want, they just usually don't. The limit is usually l+w+h = 62".

I think that golf gear is exempted, i've heard of people using a hard sided golf bag case, but if they made you open it up you'd be screwed.

Check in curb side and tip the baggage handler....

rodney482

WKR
See if your outfitter will let you ship him the bow... versus flying with it.

Ben Nicholson

Lil-Rokslider
You could try to curbside check it, and give a generous tip? I’ve done that with oversized bags (not a bow case) and it’s worked before. Good luck!

colonel00

WKR
^me neither

Has anyone with one of those big duffles ever been charged extra?
Nope! I always make sure to leave a little room so they have some flop. Impossible to measure of they wanted. Oh, pro tip, duffels usually hang or the scales as well so you can get some extra weight in then too

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

As long as I have made my case under 50# I have yet to be charged for it.

Trial153

WKR
As long as I have made my case under 50# I have yet to be charged for it.

I think this is key. I have never seen a tape meaure broken out but they always end up on a scale.

OP
wind gypsy
I think this is key. I have never seen a tape meaure broken out but they always end up on a scale.

In this time my case was only 40 lb and she charged me without even measuring because it was obvious that the total was way over 62".

I get to try again in a couple of weeks. Hopefully LAX is better about it.

Trial153

WKR
In this time my case was only 40 lb and she charged me without even measuring because it was obvious that the total was way over 62".

I get to try again in a couple of weeks. Hopefully LAX is better about it.

Good luck!

MattB

WKR
I've never paid fees on either my roller duffel or SKB double bow case. Both are oversized.

Sako76

WKR
Lots of good stuff here, a couple of comments. You have to declare firearms, you can not disguise them as golf clubs, Federal Offense. I used to do the floppy duffel shuffle and let the ends hang over the scale. While coming back from Colorado last year a young black female ticket agent took the duffel and stood it on the scale on it's end, it was 48 lbs. and passed but I was sweating it. Also, dry ice is either prohibited or a big extra charge, did I say ticket agents suck? Happy flying!