Idaho GMU unit 4 reviews

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking about going on and elk deer combo hunt for the 2018 season with Clark fork outfitters and wanted to know your guys experience with Idaho unit 4 elk, deer and bear hunting. Anything helps. Thanks

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Know the country well....had a long winter deer took a beating in places elk numbers good and always plenty of bear...thick steep country and they take a few good animals each year..seems like a good crew that runs the business...met one of their guides when he was hunting Montana. If go buy a wolf tag likely will hear them

BigShane54

Lil-Rokslider
I will echo what everyone else said. Thick, steep country but does hold good animals. Tough to get away from roads but can be done. Definitely buy a wolf tag!

Are you claustrophobic? Its thick and that can really be frustrating. You can be very close to elk and never even see them.
What tag are you thinking? Archery would be my suggestion and that's it. It is extremely busy the other seasons.

Deer no, because its muzzy only during the rut.

OP
C

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
I'm also looking to get a new rifle for the hunt and for any other game I hunt like deer bear antelope and elk. I am recoil sensitive so I was leaning towards a 308 or would a 300 win mag with a muzzle brake be a better choice? I don't want to go undergunned.

Dadnstuff

Lil-Rokslider
I'm also looking to get a new rifle for the hunt and for any other game I hunt like deer bear antelope and elk. I am recoil sensitive so I was leaning towards a 308 or would a 300 win mag with a muzzle brake be a better choice? I don't want to go undergunned.
My buddy hunts elk, mule deer, and bear in WY regularly with his 6.5 Grendel. Its got a muzzle brake, and when I shot it at the range the recoil was similar to that of a .223. I'm currently building one for my father-in-law for whitetail as he is recoil sensitive also. I use a 6.5CM, and with a muzzle brake is pretty light recoil. Just my $0.02.

300wm