Idaho "Convenience" Fee?

Stickeen

FNG
Anyone else feel the burn after buying nonres license and then paying the $66 online "convenience" fee? Crap, there was nothing convenient about the transaction, and certainly not worth that kind of money. I don't remember it being that steep in the past...

blackdawg

WKR
Do you not pay the fee if you buy the license at Walmart or sporting goods store? Was getting ready to buy the license online and would not want to blow $66 if not necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robie

WKR
They have a list of places you can go in store and buy a license and not pay the fee. Most are in Idaho and some very near.

weaver

WKR
Won't cost $66 extra if you only purchase a license.
I believe it's the trophy species application fee.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
Yeah, that was a Great little surprise tacked onto the end of the transaction. That means, if I don't draw and decide to hunt somewhere else much closer, they get to keep about $250 of my money.

But, I do like (almost) everything else about the way Idaho does their tags. I REALLY wish a lot more western states would move to a system that only allowed applicants to apply for a limited entry tag on one species per year. It puts the draw odds at a reasonable level for species that I will likely never be able to hunt any other way.

Soooo, since the state of Idaho doesn't make money off of selling preference points, and since they don't generate $10/species allowing everyone to apply for every species every year, then I will gladly pay them the $66 "convenience fee" if that revenue keeps them from following the herd and changing their system.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Yeah, that was a Great little surprise tacked onto the end of the transaction. That means, if I don't draw and decide to hunt somewhere else much closer, they get to keep about $250 of my money.

But, I do like (almost) everything else about the way Idaho does their tags. I REALLY wish a lot more western states would move to a system that only allowed applicants to apply for a limited entry tag on one species per year. It puts the draw odds at a reasonable level for species that I will likely never be able to hunt any other way.

Soooo, since the state of Idaho doesn't make money off of selling preference points, and since they don't generate $10/species allowing everyone to apply for every species every year, then I will gladly pay them the $66 "convenience fee" if that revenue keeps them from following the herd and changing their system.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

The $66 fee is for using a credit card.

Also as for fees Idaho charges a $40 app fee. Whether it’s called a pp fee or app fee I don’t care it’s still a fee. And Idaho makes you buy a $150 license and now there is another $10 fee. I think it is about $208 non refundable to non res if you apply for moose sheep or goat. And that’s not including the $66 convenience fee if you use a credit card. So you are a little over $270 just to apply for one species in Idaho.

Idaho is probably the most expensive state to apply for an oil tag. I spend around $300 in MT for oil apps, but that is 4 species, Nevada is around $300 also but that is 5-6 species, piw, and silver state apps. Arizona is expensive also. But overall $208 or $270 just to apply for 1 species is pretty dang expensive.

I like how Idaho limits you also as it improves the odds of drawing. But I have about the same chance of drawing a Nevada sheep tag as I do an Idaho sheep tag this year. So it’s like getting free chances at elk, antelope, deer, etc in Nevada compared to Idaho.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think last year when i bought my idaho license and tags i paid about $20 for using a card. If you paid $66, I wanna know what your cart total was, as it's supposed to be a percentage of the cost, certainly not 30% of $200.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Stickeen

Stickeen

FNG
I missed the deadline last year but would remember being burned like that if it was that steep before. What really sucks was I was on the phone with F & G to purchase my license as it was not showing as an option on the website and she asked me what hunt I wanted to apply for. I opted to just do it online as Epic Outdoors called the fee "minimal" in their write-up. D'Oh!

I think last year when i bought my idaho license and tags i paid about $20 for using a card. If you paid $66, I wanna know what your cart total was, as it's supposed to be a percentage of the cost, certainly not 30% of $200.

If you apply for moose sheep or goat it’s $2300 with tag, app, and license fees as a non res. So 3% of $2300 is actually $69.

I missed the deadline last year but would remember being burned like that if it was that steep before. What really sucks was I was on the phone with F & G to purchase my license as it was not showing as an option on the website and she asked me what hunt I wanted to apply for. I opted to just do it online as Epic Outdoors called the fee "minimal" in their write-up. D'Oh!

I’ve applied for Idaho goat for awhile now and they have always had the 3% card. You get charged the fee also if you do it over the phone.

sneaky

"DADDY"
They should do a Friends & Family option lol

Trial153

WKR
Yes, 250 for a long shot sheep draw is a kick in the balls. I am still sore.