Side by side vs quad

I’ll try and keep this short and sweet. I’m in the market for either a new quad (Honda Rubicon) or a side by side (Yamaha Viking). I will state the obvious. Ya the Viking cost more, the quad has a smaller profile and can get into smaller trails better, Viking seats and carries more, and the UTV needs a bigger trailer. Past that what I am asking for is, has any one ever gone from a quad to a UTV and said “damn I wish I had my quad, or this UTV is a waist”.

I’m the guy that takes his time to think about the good vs bad about a big purchase, and likes to get any and all kinds of feed back. So if any of you guys out there have anything to post about a quad vs a Viking I would greatly appreciate your input.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
I went from quads to a Polaris Ranger Crew and back to quads again. The room and comfort of the sxs was great but we were limited on trails we could drive on in CO and WY because of width restrictions. CO is not overly ATV friendly period and WY you can drive on just about any road you want but once you get off-road there are width restrictions on many of the trails in WY. Also, having a good sized family, the kids get to the point they don't want to ride, they want to drive, SO we went back to quads. SxS=better in inclement weather, quads=happy family all summer long

alaskanparret

Lil-Rokslider
Like was said before, it depends where you live and where you’ll want to go.

I live in Alaska...rarely any trail width restrictions and the comfort of the SxS is one perk. We went from Yamaha grizzlies to a Polaris Ranger 6x6.

I can go more place in a SxS and more comfortably. Not only that but I can haul EVERYTHING without changing the ride characteristics essentially of the machine.

Plus making trail aka brush busting or cross country riding is far more comfortable, easier, and such. Then again my machine is FAR from stock anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kickemall

WKR
I'd take a look at a Honda Pioneer. The width allows it to fall within restrictions that many trails have and its a great machine. To answer your question though, I wouldn't even think about a quad unless I thought I needed the lower height of a quad to get under stuff. To many advantages of a side by side.

OP
fire arrow
This is all good feed back. To be honest I didn’t want to throw this out because I wanted everyone’s point of view and not what mine would be. I have one if not two little hunters coming up, and wanted to see if a sxs has any real set backs other than cost and a bigger trailer.

My 1999 Honda TRX 300 4x4 works great at less than 1k feet elevation, but damn it really sucks past 4K feet in elevation because it stalls out when I let off the throttle. I have to turn the idle up to keep it from stalling out. I know I can try different jets, but who knows if the new jets will work when I go to the BookCliffs this year with new jets and the damn thing stalls out and I’m stuck kicking the damn tire because it stil stalls out and everyone with a spottin scope is laughing at me.

Other than the 4 thousand dollar difference in cost be tween the quad and the sxs I see no real reason to go with a quad. This is more of a question than a statement.

carter33

WKR
I have only owned a quad but many of my friends own side by sides. I am in the same boat as to wether I want to a purchase a side by side to go with my current quad or simply get another quad, my wife would be the other driver typically.

The only down side I am concerned about with the side by side is getting it unstuck. I ride a lot in snow and deep mud as well. When a quad gets stuck I can usually shift/lift the weight around by myself enough if need be to get it unstuck though not pleasant and with two guys can completely lift and shift the front or back at a time. A winch often solves this but their is not always a solid place to winch to. I am concerned if I were to get the side by side significantly stuck without another machine present I may wind up truly stuck. Often times I don’t have service either.

In addition I often find myself crossing streams or driving through pretty deep water and partaking in generally risky activities to the machines and if I lose a quad due to this it is about half the price of the side by side.

On the other hand the I would love a side by side to get deep into trails with camp and also bring gear to pack even further off trails into mountains for both hunting and recreation.

I like to have both. My old ‘02 Rubicon that I snow plow with is going strong yet. You can see tracks a lot better from the quad and I use it spring black bear hunting preferential to the SxS most of the time. It also gets 2X the fuel economy.

My SxS is a Polaris RZR 800. It is fun, hauls a far bit (use it when we go way in for a week moose and caribou hunting). It is way more comfortable to drive for hours than my old quad. Traction is better too, likely due to weight. Clearance is better but that is due to the low clearanc of the old Honda quad. It is way noisier than the the Honda. Obviously carrying a passenger is legal and safer in the SxS, same with a dog. Good luck with your decision.

It appears as a mute point since you are likely going to buy new. But, realize if you buy a carburetor run machine at low elevations, you are going to have to adjust it at higher elevations. So, but fuel injected whatever you buy.

LaHunter

WKR
Polaris Ranger all the way. My first trip to WY I used my Honda 500 atv. Elevation hurt performance, rough trails + solid rear axle beat the crap out of me, and freezing cold long rides were no fun. I don’t think I will ever bring and ate out west again. The pros of a utv far out weigh any possible negatives for me

Get a SxS. You won't regret it. I bought a Suzuki King Quad 500 when I moved out to NM a few years ago. It's been a fantastic machine. But I bought a quad because I thought it would normally be me hunting solo(I didn't know many people at all when I moved out). Now it's just the opposite. Not too mention putting the family on for a fun cruise in the evenings or on camping trips(We've had a kid since then also). I'm getting pretty close to trading mine in for a SxS, but now the debate is a 3 seater, or a crew cab?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like was said before, it depends where you live and where you’ll want to go.

I live in Alaska...rarely any trail width restrictions and the comfort of the SxS is one perk. We went from Yamaha grizzlies to a Polaris Ranger 6x6.

I can go more place in a SxS and more comfortably. Not only that but I can haul EVERYTHING without changing the ride characteristics essentially of the machine.

Plus making trail aka brush busting or cross country riding is far more comfortable, easier, and such. Then again my machine is FAR from stock anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sounds like a build thread on your project is in order. With pics of course.... :)

I really enjoy a side by side. They are fun and i've found useful. I just could never get on the quad thing. Watched a lot of people get hurt on them using them for fun when they should have just had a dirt bike, saw a lot of people using them to haul stuff when a SxS would have done it better.

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
I have had both. I think there is a time and a place for each, but I prefer my Ranger. Also re: you ATV, see if Dial-a-Jet (I think that is it) makes a unit for your ATV. I know before the fuelie sleds came out, most of the guys that rode in the mountains used a Dial-a-Jet. Also look into changing the weights in your clutch. I had a 2001 Polaris Magnum 500 (Sportsman with a solid rear axle) that I took to Colorado (from Minnesota) on an elk hunt. Before leaving, I had larger jets installed and the clutch weights changed. It ran well in the CO mountains. I figured I would need to change it back when I got home. I sold it last year with the same jets and weights installed. If anything, the larger jets made it easier to start in the MN winter.

Hope this helps.

MNBill

Randle

WKR
I have a Grizzly 700 and my dad has a rhino Sxs . I like both for different things . It is almost apples and oranges. There a some places in Idaho a Sxs , even a razor (trail legal width ) wouldn't fit. . I would say fix the atv you have and buy a sxs. Then you have both available.

i like being able to throw a quad in the back of my truck and get to where i need to go in the truck and just use the quad as necessary. and i hat pulling a trailer on dirt/bumpy roads. so i like a quad. a side by side is awesome if you are on a road...i can use my truck for that... i hate the way people use both anymore. quad is a great tool if used right...if used to just drive around the woods all day they suck. it seems more and more get a side by side and just use it to drive around the woods all day rather than hunt.

jmez

WKR
I went from an ATV to a SxS. I'll never go back. We have a few width restrictions around here but not many. That doesn't hinder me much. The only advantage to an ATV is you can put it in the back of a truck. If you are going on a trip however, you now don't have a place to put your stuff so will likely need a trailer anyway.

If you have little ones coming up, you can't put them on a quad. Well, you can, but it isn't safe. You can put car seats in a UTV and away you go. With little kids an ATV is pretty much worthless.

OP
fire arrow
i like being able to throw a quad in the back of my truck and get to where i need to go in the truck and just use the quad as necessary. and i hat pulling a trailer on dirt/bumpy roads. so i like a quad. a side by side is awesome if you are on a road...i can use my truck for that... i hate the way people use both anymore. quad is a great tool if used right...if used to just drive around the woods all day they suck. it seems more and more get a side by side and just use it to drive around the woods all day rather than hunt.

Especially in our state.

rlmmarine

WKR
I own the viking and love it but rummer is they are coming out with a twin cylinder
So get one now for fuel savings or wait a couple more months for more power
Just an fyi all Vikings breaks squeak for a while

I have had both. I think there is a time and a place for each, but I prefer my Ranger. Also re: you ATV, see if Dial-a-Jet (I think that is it) makes a unit for your ATV. I know before the fuelie sleds came out, most of the guys that rode in the mountains used a Dial-a-Jet. Also look into changing the weights in your clutch. I had a 2001 Polaris Magnum 500 (Sportsman with a solid rear axle) that I took to Colorado (from Minnesota) on an elk hunt. Before leaving, I had larger jets installed and the clutch weights changed. It ran well in the CO mountains. I figured I would need to change it back when I got home. I sold it last year with the same jets and weights installed. If anything, the larger jets made it easier to start in the MN winter.

Hope this helps.

MNBill

Due to lower air density (and you want to match the gasoline supplied to the oxygen available for efficient combustion) you actually jet a carburetor with smaller jets for higher elevation or they run too rich and flood out. If you run too small a jet at low elevation, the engine will run lean and actually can overheat and potentially fry the engine. I sold a Honda Trials bike that was jetted for the CO mountains to a friend that took it down to the lowlands of the AZ desert and he ruined it the first day due to that issue.

The old rule of thumb was to rejet if your major use is above 5,000' elevation, and rejet even smaller for continuous use above 10,000'. Just don't use the 10,000' jetted machine at sea level. Thanks to fuel injection this pain in the butt is gone!