Question about selling guns in classifieds

MCR

FNG
I have a few guns I want to list for sale in the classifieds. How are you guys doing the transactions? Are you shipping to licensed FFA dealer? I have always sold my guns locally so I don't know how it works when listing and selling online.
Thanks

FURMAN

WKR
If it leaves your state you must ship to FFL. In any case it is in your best interest to ship to an FFL.

Schism

WKR
rfurman is correct. It’s very easy to ship at firearm to an FFL of the buyers choice but if you are unsure you can find an FFL in your area and ask if they will ship the firearm for you. Most will do it for a small fee.

Murdy

WKR
And they will be very helpful because they want your business (if they are not, find a different one). Most of the online sellers have databases where you can search for an FFL in your area (I have used the one at Bud's and found several in my area).

wildcat33

WKR
Everytime Ive shipped a firearm through Fedex or UPS its always insanely expensive. For example it cost me 75$ to send two glocks to Georgia from Colorado. A long gun was near 100$. I know a similar sized and weight box with benign contents would cost a third that price. In contrast, when you buy a gun, on gunbroker for example, it may only cost 25$. Its like the postage companies jack up the price if its a firearm. Anyone else encountered this?

My mom just had this happen to her as well looking into shipping some guns to me from home. To ship a small box with some pistols was going to be over 80 bucks.

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
Everytime Ive shipped a firearm through Fedex or UPS its always insanely expensive. For example it cost me 75$ to send two glocks to Georgia from Colorado. A long gun was near 100$. I know a similar sized and weight box with benign contents would cost a third that price. In contrast, when you buy a gun, on gunbroker for example, it may only cost 25$. Its like the postage companies jack up the price if its a firearm. Anyone else encountered this?

My mom just had this happen to her as well looking into shipping some guns to me from home. To ship a small box with some pistols was going to be over 80 bucks.

hand guns have to be shipped overnight.

Fedex and UPS will ship a long gun regular mail, but they usually know that. They will argue with you, until you ask them to check the book or ask their help desk.

KJH

WKR
I'm an FFL.

You should be able to ship a long gun for about $30-$40 via FedEx but I do not insure a gun unless it's over $2,000. Handguns are a little more because the need to ship overnight. In all cases you pay for a over 21 signature at the destination. Just in case you feel like reading the details (it's really dry!):

Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an
individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person
to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must
be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or
she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a
NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at ATF Home Page | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
and Unlicensed Persons | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The GCA provides an exception
from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. For
example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception
is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition
by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident
who inherits a firearm under a will or by State law upon death of the owner. See 18 U.S.C. §
922(a)(5)(A).

In regard to transferring firearms between individuals residing in the same state, any person may
sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of the State where he resides as long as he or she does not
know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing
firearms under Federal law. Please note that there may be State and local laws that regulate
firearm transactions. Any person considering acquiring or transferring a firearm should contact
his or her State Attorney General’s Office to inquire about the laws and possible State or local
firearms restrictions. A list of State Attorney General contact numbers may be found at
NAAG | NAAG.

Any person may ship firearms directly to a licensee in any State, with no requirement for another
licensee to ship the firearm. However, handguns and other concealable firearms are not mailable
through the United States Postal Service and must be shipped via private common or contract
carrier (18 U.S.C. § 1715). The USPS and private common or contract carriers may also have
additional restrictions on firearms shipments by unlicensed persons. Firearms shipped to FFLs
for repair or any other lawful purpose may be returned to the person from whom received
without transferring the firearm through an FFL in the recipient’s State of residence. FFLs may
also return a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom received
(18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(2)(A)). An ATF Form 4473 is required for the return of the firearm, except
in instances when a firearm is delivered to a licensee for the sole purpose of repair or
customizing, and the same firearm or a replacement firearm is returned to the person from whom
received (27 CFR § 478.124(a)).