Starting to get bummed with 2018

My wife is in her final semester this fall to become a nurse practitioner. Almost all her clinical hours are from August-December. I promised here I wouldn’t go out west at all this year and be mr dad. All I applied for is goat and sheep everywhere. I thought I was gonna be ok with it and now that tags are starting to come out I’m getting super bummed Anyone else not hunting out west this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sat out all of last year but a couple whitetail sits with my son due to torn rotator cuff. I am very hungry this year. It’s bad.

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Kind of the reverse this year. I'm finishing my final year of grad school and with a internship I can't take the time off for hunts while my wife works as a nurse. It's only May and I have the itch that I know I wont be able to scratch. Hopefully many years to come though.

NDGuy

WKR
My wife is in her final semester this fall to become a nurse practitioner. Almost all her clinical hours are from August-December. I promised here I wouldn’t go out west at all this year and be mr dad. All I applied for is goat and sheep everywhere. I thought I was gonna be ok with it and now that tags are starting to come out I’m getting super bummed Anyone else not hunting out west this year?

I feel ya. I might draw a ND badlands whitetail tag this year but otherwise just Archery WT, Waterfowl, and Pheasants for me :(

Hunting partner is doing Montana with his in laws and I am stuck at home..I need new hunting pals for years like this lol

boom

WKR

my wife's timing also sucked. she was in nursing school. it wasnt about the kids (we dont have any), it was the money. we promised to get her thru nursing program debt free. that meant scaling way back. hunting was very local for a few years. the only tag i put in for was NM archery elk..i'd be lying if i didnt secretly breath a sigh of relief when i got that refund back.

it was all an investment in our future..just like it is yours. suck it up. repeat to yourself..."dual income"..think about the hunting under those circumstances!! the world will be your oyster. haha.

dotman

WKR
Do you have family that could watch them for a week, otherwise it’s only one season.

OP
Jtelarkin08
Do you have family that could watch them for a week, otherwise it’s only one season.

If I somehow miraculously draw a goat or a sheep tag I’ll figure something out. I just promised my wife I wouldn’t go for elk and deer just to put less stress on her. She will be working 6 days a week between clinicals and her regular R.N. Job. I put in for a nanny tag in Colorado with 4 points. So there is a chance.

Yup, sitting out going west this year. Will have to fall back on NC whitetail and small game. Hoping to grab a Sika tag and drive up for a cheap long weekend but even that is iffy. Focusing more on fishing this year as well, can do that a bit cheaper.

Beendare

WKR
Theres a 'Silver Lining' bro.

Your wife is working her tail off to set up you and your family for many years. You have your health....and your family.

I bet there are plenty of great things you can do closely; hunt, fish, shoot

My best buddy and business partner that I used to hunt 70 days a year with [hogs with dogs] just got diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer...and he has a positive attitude.....

HeadnWest

WKR

I'm in the same boat this year, sitting it out to make it easier on my family. I know down the road when the kids are older I will have more opportunities to head out West so it really doesn't bother me all that bad. Plus I will be hopefully drawing an Iowa whitetail tag, so that will help keep my mind off things. If I were you I would try to take up small game hunting or waterfowl hunting, to help pass the time. Buy Hank Shaws cook books and work on turning your day hunts into dinner on the table. Day hunts can be fun and rewarding and at least something to look forward to.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was almost sitting out because I can't ever seem to draw a tag and I live out west. Luckily for me Montana is still undervalued

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm out of if for at least another year. I'd love to go again but with a 9 month old and one income I am choosing security over adventure. I hope to be setting myself up for a future of consistent hunting adventures with both money and goodwill.

I am more than anything looking forward to when the kids are old enough to turn it into a family vacation.

I'll have PA whitetail and turkey to keep me busy for a few long weekends.

Family comes first, and you are making the right call... but could you sneak out west for a bear hunt this spring or fishing trip this summer before the crazy schedule starts?

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
Be thankful your wife is working on a great career that can employee her and pay well almost anywhere you decide to live, while you sacrifice one hunting season, you'll be back next year. And maybe with your wife's increased income you can plan an even more awesome western hunt next season.

I was in your shoes last year and still am a bit this year. Due to health reasons my wife had to take a year off of work, while we have a 9 month old daughter. It's been tough, but family should always come first.

DocH

FNG
My wife earned her APRN two years ago. She did it by not taking out any loans, but we had to make sacrifices. I always joked with her that once she graduated, it was “game on” for my hunting trips. She is now saying I need to start planning a moose hunt! Consider yourself lucky and look at the long-term picture. You will hopefully more than make up for it in the future.

My wife gets her masters in 2 days. Luckily we moved out west a few years back so I never have to miss the mountains.

oldgoat

WKR
No clue what that's like bro! I can see the mountains from my house, saw elk tracks at one of the archery ranges I belong too last Friday. All kidding aside, she's going to make killer money to help subsidize your habits, suck it up for a year!

SWOHTR

WKR
Surely there's something local? And one year might be tough, but it's for the greater good. You'll get to spend a lot of time with your new child, which is priceless (if not frustrating and sometimes terrifying).

After this elk season, I get to take the next three off. Thanks Navy! That just means that in four years I'll get to bring my little man out with me.

OP
Jtelarkin08
Surely there's something local? And one year might be tough, but it's for the greater good. You'll get to spend a lot of time with your new child, which is priceless (if not frustrating and sometimes terrifying).

After this elk season, I get to take the next three off. Thanks Navy! That just means that in four years I'll get to bring my little man out with me.

I’ll still be hunting whitetail hogs and turkey here in Texas. Lol. Im just being spoiled and sad I can’t go out west

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitebeard