NEW Garmin InReach Mini

TNTt321

FNG
I received an email from Garmin this afternoon and they have officially announced the new Garmin InReach Mini. They are quoting 5-8 weeks out for the product launch and it will retail for $349. It looks like this one will weight in at only 4.29 oz, compared to the current full size model at 7.5oz.

Garmin Product Link
Access Denied

Garmin Video
[video=youtube;60A1NciNgps]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60A1NciNgps[/video]

orbowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
That looks pretty sweet. I also know that the odds I would lose it are very high...

IdahoElk

WKR
here's some info

[video=youtube;3zNHgNLCpQ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zNHgNLCpQ4[/video]

NDGuy

WKR
Legit, will be interesting to see reviews on it. I hope the performance is similar outside of smaller size.

That being said, how am I supposed to sext my wife in the backcountry using that? Looks like it would take 5 mins to text a sentence haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavePwns

WKR
So glad this just came out, I was hoping for a lighter weight inreach, and I was just about to buy the regular version! No need for a big screen, just need to send a simple message and the security of having an SOS in an emergency

parshal

WKR
I think I've sent a text once without the phone from my inReach. Otherwise I'm always using the app. Having an easy to reach emergency button on the device somewhat negates having the use the app for everything else. At least for me. I'm interested in getting one for sure!

big44a4

WKR
I think I've sent a text once without the phone from my inReach. Otherwise I'm always using the app. Having an easy to reach emergency button on the device somewhat negates having the use the app for everything else. At least for me. I'm interested in getting one for sure!

One text? My buddy was glued to his texting the whole time last year. Needless to say trip ended early and unsuccessful...

But device looks interesting. Just to have for emergency. I know I didn’t have any service last year to communicate but used onX on my phone.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Hmmmm, does it really save you on weight if the battery life is shorter and you need to carry a battery pack? Lots of gaps in the spec sheet as far as what GPS system it's using. Should be fine for the weight weenies, for the heavy texters... maybe not so much.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

parshal

WKR
I don't use mine for tracking so it's turned on only when I need it. I've never come close to running low on battery. For my needs it works. If I were using the tracking feature it wouldn't work so well.

jarredelectric

Lil-Rokslider
My current set up is just ON-X on my iPhone in airplane mode and a map. Does anyone think the new Mini is good enough as a back up and using it to find my UTM coords. when needed? I was planning on getting the in Reach Explorer before the season, but this thing is so damn small I cannot pass it up. Another thought was to sell my Apple Watch (which I never bring with me) and get a Fenix5 in addition to the Mini as a backup.

Any thoughts?

cgippe

Lil-Rokslider
Legit, will be interesting to see reviews on it. I hope the performance is similar outside of smaller size.

That being said, how am I supposed to sext my wife in the backcountry using that? Looks like it would take 5 mins to text a sentence haha

Using the earthmate app on your phone like the other two models. Not sure why this guy didnt know that or cover that. He must not be familiar with the inreach platform. There are better reviews on youtube.

gabenzeke

WKR
I wish they could make one that will get me internet access that is cheaper than iridium go.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
You know who Andrew Skurka is, right? "This guy" probably has way too many other things to worry about than knowing all the specs on the latest gadget from Garmin. This one strips features from the current platform. Up tp the end user to decide if they want to save 4oz, or not. It looks cool, but it's expensive for what it is.
Using the earthmate app on your phone like the other two models. Not sure why this guy didnt know that or cover that. He must not be familiar with the inreach platform. There are better reviews on youtube.

dotman

WKR
You know who Andrew Skurka is, right? "This guy" probably has way too many other things to worry about than knowing all the specs on the latest gadget from Garmin. This one strips features from the current platform. Up tp the end user to decide if they want to save 4oz, or not. It looks cool, but it's expensive for what it is.

All it is is a smaller SE, 50hrs of battery life equals about 3 days of constantly being on while hunting before a recharge so even battery life is good as that’s all your giving up when compared with the SE.