CO Forest Roads... Which rental car??

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
I'm heading up to the Aspen area in July to do some scouting prior to archery season (elk). Plan is to do a 4 day backpacking trip into the best looking areas as well as some day hikes from various trail heads though out the unit.

My question is what kind of rental car should I get? Rental cars in CO are pretty expensive. Would I be able to get by with a compact car or do I need an suv/truck? AWD/4wd would be nice but I can't count on it. For you guys that scout in Colorado (high country) in the summers, what do you think I can get away with?

Thanks!

Never scouted up that way but high country there isn't to different from where I live. If it where me I'd get a 4wd or Awd or at the least something with a decent amount of clearance. The high country is unpredictable you may find your self in a place where you want 4wd. Of course for all the Colorado guys they might know better and you could get by without good luck.

Most Everyone else there drives a subaru with a dog barking out the window so any rental should work

A Subaru is far from "any rental". The Subaru AWD system is one of the best, if not the best, you will find. Their ground clearance is also more than many SUV's.

It really just depends on the road. I once took my wife's Mazda 2 up to a FS road to a goat viewing filled with Jeeps. In that area of CO in July you may still find snow drifts across roads. I would get a 4x4.

Deere83

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have a Mazda but I’ve seen vehicles where their stats didn’t matter, only the drivers concern about the longevity of the vehicle, and most roads there he’ll be fine, if he’s really concerned he can pm

Beendare

WKR
It might actually help ya...not wanting to drive to the end of every 2 track. Some of the best hunting is hiking in off of the paved roads or highways.

oldgoat

WKR
There's just no way to answer that in my opinion, I bottomed out on the oil pan with me Nissan Xterra two years ago and other years and places I took my Toyota Paseo to places no problem and then if it rains, that's a whole nother thing. Get something as capable as you can or stop at Walmart and buy a cheap bike and ride it from where you can't drive.

Stopped by to chat with a guy my brother knew in their camp a few years ago. One of his hunting buddies had flown into denver or colorado springs and rented a generic ford sedan. He went a lot of places with that thing. We were actually suprised he made it back to their camp.

So...I guess it really just depends...

OP
Ag111

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback guys. Ill see what i can find.

WTFJohn

WKR
Thanks for the feedback guys. Ill see what i can find.

You can always rent a car in Denver for the cheapest rate and if you decide you need a Jeep, just do a daily rental from one of the places in Aspen. If I remember correctly there are 3-4 different places in that area of CO that will rent Jeeps for exploring the NF in that area and south towards Taylor Res.

vanish

WKR
Almost all the FSR have details listed somewhere online, either directly on the forest service website, or if they're 4x4 territory, they'll be on jeeping or atv forums. Most of them are 2WD friendly, but its the spurs near the end that are often trouble. I would pick specific locations and research those roads online first.