Lightweight Wood Stoves

rgwaldron

FNG
I'm currently running a Kifaru med boxstove for my sawtooth. I really like it but it's a little heavy for long hike in trips. I was looking at the Kifaru smith cylinder stove and the TiGoat Cylinder stoves and they both look pretty good but I can't decide which one is better.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

TiGoat:
- better for cooking because it has the rods to support a pot without worrying about it falling off.
- has a damper to better control the fire.
- doesn't have a spark arrestor included. The claim that with the damper the stove doesn't spark.
- there is a spark arrestor available at an extra cost, but it doesn't look like it's easy to take out to clean unless the stove is cooled off.
-largest stove is larger capacity so you don't have to break the wood down as much.

Kifaru:
- good reputation for high quality gear.
- easy to clean the spark arrestors while burning.

If anyone with experience on either of these stoves or another lightweight stove out there I'd like to hear your comments. I want to make up my mind in time to get it before archery season this year. I might not even need to use it, but there are times when it's really nice to have especially if it rains at all.

FlyGuy

WKR
I have the 18" cylinder stove. It's the only one ive used. Only thing I really don't care for is the door (too small/too high). Makes it challenging to get the fire started, for me anyway. Thinking about trying out the lite outdoors model.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Jd259

WKR
I run the ti goat in my silver tip and cimmeron I used last year and it’s great super light and super easy to set up once it’s been burned in a few times the dampener works really good but what I’ve found in high elevations above 10-11k you have to have a blazing fire in it the whole time with as much air as you can get to it you can’t really choke it down or it’ll go out but this may be the same for all stoves at the higher elevation the door is big enough to put some good size wood in it and it’ll burn good for about an hour n a half but if you want it to burn all night you have to constantly feed it. Over all for the wieght you can’t beat it

Only thing I really don't care for is the door (too small/too high). Makes it challenging to get the fire started, for me anyway.

This is one of the first things I look at in stoves. I don't run a cylinder type stove, but I have used a Ti Goat stove in the past and the biggest issue was the size of the door (being too small), and it wouldn't allow for any decent sized pieces of wood. So, basically it required constant tending and adding of little sticks, etc. I bought a Seek Outside XL titanium stove for my tipi and love it, although it may be too big and heavy for your application. I think it weighs around 55 oz., complete. Another option you may want to look at is Ruta Locura.

Davebuech

WKR
Give some consideration to the Ti Goat WiFi series.I run a small in my Sawtooth and don't mind regular feeding/attention while it's burning. It gets it plenty warm/hot/dry in a very short time for me. The stove flat top allows me to heat water or cook/warm food if desired.Stores flat, it's very light and easy to assemble.
Spark arrestor works very well and is not difficult to assemble. I agree with the above statement that most times the damper doesn't come into play. I run it wide open most the time until things are dry and warm then shut it down and go to bed. You can build a decent bed of coals after short while and it will radiate heat for a good bit after the burn.If you want hot coals in the AM you've gotta stoke it every 2-3 hours, otherwise just restart it in the am.

530Chukar

WKR
Checkout the Lite Outdoors stoves. They have a larger door than the other two. Happy with mine after a season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have the baffle system?

I do and it works slick. In talking to the owner of LO he said if you have the baffle it mostly solves the issue of embers making it out of your stove pipe. I have found this to be the case and won’t need to use the screen for embers.

530Chukar

WKR
Do you have the baffle system?

No baffle on mine. I thought about it a bit and didn't think there would be much difference with or without the baffle. I do have a spark arrestor on it and i think my pipe is around 9 ft so i don't have a spark issue.

valtteri

FNG
I have both the TiGoat Wifi Medium box stove and Lite Outdoors 18” cylinder stove that I run on my Sawtooth.

First got the TiGoat. After a while the TiGoat assembly started becoming a PITA. The main body sheet has twisted somehow that installing it in place is really fiddly. The length of the stove was another thing: I felt that it’s just a bit too short, ie. I have to do a lot of cutting with the saw. Also the door is not very big. The pipe hole diameter in the stove is a very tight fit into the pipe itself, again making assembly a PITA.

After these experiences I got the LO 18” cylinder. Everything is WAY more to my liking:
-easier assembly overall
-pipe to body clearance is way looser, pipe goes in just like that. Zero leakage since there is a constant draft in the pipe.
-door is substantially bigger and better designed: it’s almost the size of the body diameter, is hinged and just nicer altogether. You can fit any size wood you want.
-body length is great: I find that I have to saw way less as I can fit longer pieces in.

I haven’t timed them, but overall I feel like I can get a way longer burn time with the LO as well as control it better.

Essentially, the LO gets put in the pack everytime and the TiGoat stays on the shelf.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Several have mentioned Liteoutdoors and I will second that. Large stove door opening, ease of setup, limited parts and good burn time. I did not go with the baffle and no regrets so far:) my take for things of this nature is less is more and keep it simple they fit the bill.

attachment.php

attachment.php

OP
R

rgwaldron

FNG
I'm interested in the LiteOutdoors stoves. I've never heard of them before but they seem nice. It's got some of the stuff I like about the TiGoat, plus a better door. My only real concern just from looking at the picture is the legs. Are they pretty stable?

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
The legs do look kinda cheesy... but I haven't had an issue with them.

nEEkh3q.jpg

Brennen, the owner, is very accessible and helpful with titanium stove noobs.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The legs screw into the body and are stable they create a low platform just off the ground

OP
R

rgwaldron

FNG
Anyone with the LiteOutdoors stove, can you please post what size stove you have and if you have the baffle. also what kind of burn time do you get once you have a bed of coals built up and when you load it up full of wood at night.
thanks.

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
I have a liteoutdoors 18" stove with the baffle. My burn times have varied with the quality/size/condition of wood used, obviously... and also location (high country vs low desert, for instance).

For reference, I don't carry a saw so I'm only breaking what I can by hand, or foot. With sappy pine and spruce in the Colorado high country, I wanna say I've maybe gotten a couple hours burn time. I hunted SE New Mexico in January this year. Low temps were low/mid 20s with typical desert winds and not much to block it. I used shinnery (oak) root skeletons for fuel and probably got 3 hours or so.

I've got a good -10 bag and an insulated pad and I haven't been out in really brutal winter conditions yet so I haven't worried too much about even trying to maximize burn time.

The stove really comes in handy when you're wet and cold. Drying out socks and misc gear really improves my state of mind, not to mention the comforting crackle of a fire as you're nodding off to sleep.

I've heard or read about people getting 6 hours burn time and I guess it's possible with all the right combos. When I first got my stove I did the "burn in" with some super high quality (well seasoned and almost petrified) split live oak wood (2-3" in diameter) from my bbq pile. I grabbed the belly of the stove to start breaking it down ~24 hours after loading it up and was greeted with a temp high enough to sizzle human skin.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The one good think about the LO stove is you can control the heat/burn time quite a bit, you hear folks talking about stoves sweating them out of the tent which certainly can happen when you have a solid burn going and its got good air flow. Some of the stoves don't appear you can choke them down very well. The LO once you have good coals you can basically load with wood, close the door and baffle and it will still slowly burn that load over many hours (with low heat output) or crank it open and pump out heat (with shorter burn times).

KJH

WKR
I'm going to switch from a 18" Kifaru cylinder stove to a TI Goat. I decided I want a true flat top. The cylinder is light and reliable. It burns hot and puts off heat well. I like that you can get longer 16-17" pieces of wood in it, but the door is small.