What would you do with several months off (from work)?

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a unique situation and should have several months (3 months to possibly 1 year) mostly free from work type obligations. I'm thinking of doing a few things I have always wanted to do but never seemed to be able to make it happen. The kind of things to do where I would not take time away from hunting or fishing in peak seasons.

I will handle some things around the house first such as a few repairs / improvements to prepare to rent or sell my home. I intend to take inventory off my stuff to see what needs to be sold, repaired or replaced and/or thrown out. I will also do some training such as Wilderness First Aid, photography classes and possibly a trad archery class. Thought I might brush up on rifle/shotgun/pistol shooting skills and do some camping and hiking to test a few items and get better at land nav & orientation-without the pressure of actually hunting for game.

I will do some traveling using my personal vehicle. I want to travel to Wyoming to fish in areas I am familiar with and do some serious scouting in a few places that I am not familiar with. I will make stops along the way to visit interesting places and friends & family in various part of the country. Part of my goal is to make a definitive determination of the next place to live. My current hometown is growing too fast (as are a lot of places now for many of us) and it is time to move on whether that is just a bit out or across the country. I saw the post about Idaho being closed so apparently that is off limits.

I wish I would have known this would happen a few months back. I would have planned a bang up hunting trip to last for weeks but this just came about recently.

I am interested in places for outdoorsmen-whether it be hunting or fishing stores, trade shows, expos or any rondies that might be coming up. I'd like to do some fishing in areas that are cooler summer places such as higher elevations in Wy. I'll likely visit Kifaru and Rocky Mtn Spec Gear, HPG and perhaps Dan Toelke to be fitted for a custom recurve.

I can be fairly selfish about this as most of the travels I will be solo. I'll spend cash on some items I have been thinking of such as a new recurve and a rifle and possibly an off road mini-camper but I will not have excess amounts of cash. One of the things I intend to do is to camp for a good portion of my travels to keep cost down .

Please tell me your thoughts about things you would suggest I do and places to see.

Thanks so much!

I'd go out west and start camping and fishing now. Do that right up til the start of Elk season, hunt through October out there some where, come home and hunt through Christmas here, enjoy the holidays and bank the coal stove during the days I didn't feel like pushing snow.

Get out of North America. Sign up here and travel the world cheap with a backpack and a thumb.

Help Exchange: free volunteer work exchange abroad Australia New Zealand Canada Europe

This is excellent opportunity to see and do thing you otherwise would not be able to do. You will have your whole life to take what is a relatively easy trip across a few states. Now, I did notice you said this may be a trip to find your future so for sure get to those places first. I would not disregard the opportunity to experience some far off places that you would not experience if it were not for this opportunity.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've no doubt that I would love to travel broad but to me there is so much to do and see in the US. I should point out that I am in my fifties (which is part of what makes this unique) so my goals are going to be much different that a guy just out of college.

I want to spend between a few days to possibly a few weeks in different locations throughout the country . The last time I was in the Wy high country I was there for about 8 days last summer and left wishing I could have stayed longer. I have a friend in the New York countryside where I could fish for salmon and steelhead for several days and a friend at the NC coast where I could fish for a few days.

Going out of the country is intriguing; however, honestly until I read these post I did not even think of it.

I’ve had six months off for the last two years, fortunately for me it’s during hunting season. During the winter I do a lot of snow shoeing and inside projects like making arrows. Soon I’ll start getting serious about reloading.

This now?

On my annual 6 month roadie.

Desert south west is spectacular.. obviously middle summer isn't ideal but our deserts are spectacular during late spring... Moab is a start. All the way down into New Mexico and Arizona is good too tho. Colorado's escalate is fun place to see lots of desert big horn.

Wind rivers are afor sure see.

Find some secluded hot springs. Idaho had a few

Oregon coast slash Pacific Northwest in the summer is fun place. Start on the Olympic peninsula, kick out around crescent city California or so. Back out Oregons high desert in the smith rock, deschutes, bend area is unique.

Check out Lake Superior.

The outer banks in spring before schools out is awesome. May in particular. Specifically down by buxton. Hit up the orange blossom bakery early and get their pop overs. Blue fishing can be good this time of year.

Cape Breton on a warm summer week is awesome. The Cabot trail rivals the 1 in California for my money. Speaking of which the 1 right now is pretty ideal because traffics closed due to a bridge out. Tons of elephant seals to gawk and awesome scenery every turn.

Lake pactola area of the black hills is a fun overnighter.

If ur keen to see Yellowstone/Jackson take the beartooth highway over from red lodge and drop in that way.

But honestly just do an Alaskan roady. Get out of the minor leagues and see and do the real deal.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I spent a month solo in British Columbia fly fishing every river and stream I could get to. Then I came back and spent several weeks hunting. And then bought a season ski pass at Mary Jane/Winter Park.

blackdawg

WKR
Once upon a time, I had a couple of months to move from Anchorage to Denver with work, I hunted and fished my way all the way down, grew some hippie hair and a beard, greatest of experiences. This time of year I think I would head over to west coast shooting turkeys and bear along the way, catch the marine highway, fish that up to Alaska. Spend a couple months fishing salmon, then start working way down Alcan just in time for September bow season. Put meat in freezer till mid November then cut loose on waterfowl and migrate back down south with them. Trap up some fur in February, start fishing my way back in March,,, whoa, forgot you have to return to the grind, the old mind started having it’s version of teenage fantasies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PF_JM

FNG
I know that whatever I was planning would be written down and scheduled. Several months can get away from you before you know it.

Jauwater

WKR
If you make it to NC, hit me up. I’m always looking to ditch work for a quick adventure. I dunno when was the last time you took in a Carolina coast, but Cape Lookout National Seashore is something to see. Take a long ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Bunch of really nice hiking trails off the parkway. Devils Falls, Rough Ridge, and Craggy Gardens to name a few. The Art Loeb Trail is awesome. Also known as the Mini AT, and can be hiked in a couple days. The Foothill Trail in Salem, SC offers a long 30 miles, most of which is on a stream. Congaree National Park in SC is a cool place to take a hike. If not a long one just hit up the boardwalk for a short hike. Roan Highlands, in Roan TN, and Grayson Highlands in Virginia are Both breathtaking places. If you’ve never been to the Whites in New Hampshire, and if you make it up that way, the Presidential Trail (I think) is well worth the 28 miles. If you could hike the 100 mile wilderness section of the AT in Maine that offers a lot of good fishing. Most popular sections of the AT are worth a gander IMO. Only places I’ve been out west are the Superstition Mountains, Grand Canyon, and a few different hikes are Sedona, and Phoenix. All nice places if ya never been. My brother speaks of Zion National being the most memorable place he’s ever been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What an awesome opportunity. Explore every trout stream you can, scout, hunt, get in awesome shape, check out breweries... agh! Like was posted above, have a game plan mapped out or else the time can sneak by you pretty quickly.

NoWiser

WKR
A week or two spent paddling, camping, and fishing in the BWCA Wilderness is hard to beat.

If it were me, I would just head up to Alaska and have one hell of an adventure. I couldn't imagine being able to spend several months up there. With that amount of time you might actually get to see and do quite a bit stuff, and you wouldn't feel rushed to try and get it all in.

New Zealand would be my next choice.

Following this one.. I'm leaning towards taking a sabbatical this fall but not sure I can live dirtbaggy enough to make it to my sheep hunt next August without going back to work first!

If you have summer months off my ass would be Alaska bound!

ddiwd33

Banned
would love to make the best of each day, i love hunting rabbits so that has to be on my list for sure, spend time with my kids.
i have always wanted to visit Japan.