Severe Tendonitis anyone??

So I have had tendonitis very bad in both my elbows for about 5 months, had injections a couple months ago. They helped for about 2 weeks. Been steadily getting worse ever since. .y orthopedic surgeon says he can detach the tendons and I should be using both arms like before in a couple weeks. I'm afraid of doing surgery too close to hunting season. Anyone had this done?

Beendare

WKR
I just had elbow surgery 3 weeks ago....Epicondral release [sp] My doc said the same....pain free in a short time. He lied.

Well he told me after surgery that the damage to the tendon was worse than he initially thought, almost completely torn....in those cases he said they have to do more invasive stuff- drill a bunch of holes into the bone to stimulate healing/scar tissue so the tendon adheres. As you know, the elbow has very little blood circulation.

So he tells me the pain might last for 6-8 weeks until the bone heals....or something like that. Icing it now. 3 months total recovery time before drawing a bow. The pains not bad....just wakes me up at night....but it was doing that before the surgery so there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Hoping I can shoot a bow and my pistols without pain for the first time in 4-5 years.

My advice to anyone with elbow pain; Lay off it, ice and rest before it becomes chronic. I tried to tell another Rokslider the same...it appears he disregarded that advice.

The other thing is to see a good PT...as there could be something mechanical you are doing wrong....AND these nerves originate in your neck...so you could be doing something slightly different due to that nerve being out of whack. I thought....'Elbow, no problem"....what I didn't realize is how slow it heals and if you aren't proactive....you can really screw it up.

Last edited:
OP
Mxracer532
I just had elbow surgery 3 weeks ago....Epicondral release [sp] My doc said the same....pain free in a short time. He lied.

Well he told me after surgery that the damage to the tendon was worse than he initially thought, almost completely torn....in those cases he said they have to do more invasive stuff- drill a bunch of holes into the bone to stimulate healing/scar tissue so the tendon adheres. As you know, the elbow has very little blood circulation.

So he tells me the pain might last for 6-8 weeks until the bone heals....or something like that. Icing it now. 3 months total recovery time before drawing a bow. The pains not bad....just wakes me up at night....but it was doing that before the surgery so there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Hoping I can shoot a bow and my pistols without pain for the first time in 4-5 years.

Shit, that's not what I wanted to hear. What caused your tear? Symptoms ect.... I'm afraid to have this done and be F'd for September archery hunting.

I've dealt with this issue a couple times in the past. My pain got pretty severe but I managed to avoid surgery. I tried all the noninvasive therapies I could find and the truth for me was that all of them only helped partially with alleviating the pain. The two things that made the biggest difference for me were trying to avoid the movements that caused pain and steady scheduled use of nsaids like ibuprofen, etc. In time the pain went completely away and has never returned.

I've seen others have the same experience. The onset is kind of insidious with just some mild irritation noticed occasionally. Gradually it builds to the point of semi-severity with movement and it limits your lifestyle. For many it lasts quite a few months and then mysteriously subsides and disappears. Today I shoot a 64 pound longbow as often as I want and have no elbow pain.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My advice to anyone with elbow pain; Lay off it, ice and rest before it becomes chronic.

That's about all you can do for tendonitis, and when you think it's good to go again......lay off it another few weeks. Then work up very slowly and keep it pain free.

Tendons suck. They don't get much blood so don't heal quickly. I had surgery to repair a torn patellar tendon in March of 1992. I was hunting that Fall.......kind of......but still was in pain.

MtnMuley

WKR
I've had it in both elbows over the years. As said above, lay off what makes it hurt and ice. Sometimes it's lasted a year. Thankfully both feel fine now. Usually when it becomes unbearable, I'd get a Cort shot.

Billinsd

WKR
I'd try some Diclofenac gel and rub it in. Ask your Doctor for a prescription. Helps for this kinda thing. Ask for generic, it's cheaper.

150plusB&C

Lil-Rokslider
I have dealt with tendinitis several times over the years. One of the previous post mentions that the nerves go to the neck. After months of pain and steroids no luck.
I ended up hurting my back and went to chiropractor. I told him about the tendinitis. After the first adjustment it was 50% better. After that it was slow healing but I babied it and that’s 3 years ago. No issues since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keller

WKR
i had it bad in my left knee took about 4 months to feel better.ibuprofen, riding bike and doing squats recommended by doctor. starting out slow and building up. it is now at about 90% I would say but stays their cant get it pain free.now my left elbow is hurting inside area is tender when touching the ball on inside of elbow is this tendonitis as well?

I had the pain
Best advice was to focus on neck
I stretch neck and been building muscles up in it.
No more pain at all

Amazing the connection Between the two.

I also avoid certain types of releases, and I am pain free.

Hopefully it stays that way, if not, time for, MD visit

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

hflier

WKR
I had this several times and weight training in a slow controlled manner eliminates it. My son had one elbow operated on and it was a failure, so he opted to not do the second. He now weight trains and has no issues. When I stop working out, the tendonitis comes back, opposite of what you think.

Beendare

WKR
Shit, that's not what I wanted to hear. What caused your tear? Symptoms ect.... I'm afraid to have this done and be F'd for September archery hunting.

Have you had an MRI? Check with your Doc of course....but an MRI tells you how bad it is....

Kevins post is right on for most cases from what I understand....I had the same issue in my left arm and it eventually healed.

jmden

WKR
My advice to anyone with elbow pain; Lay off it, ice and rest before it becomes chronic. I tried to tell another Rokslider the same...it appears he disregarded that advice.

The other thing is to see a good PT...as there could be something mechanical you are doing wrong....AND these nerves originate in your neck...so you could be doing something slightly different due to that nerve being out of whack. I thought....'Elbow, no problem"....what I didn't realize is how slow it heals and if you aren't proactive....you can really screw it up.

Correct advice above...my wife's a PT. Find the right PT. It takes alot of time/patience, consistent correct effort, ice, correctly done (good form, etc.) exercise done right time/right way. Let pain be your guide. Ibuprofen is great but it can mask your pain which can let you do more than you should and you end up damaging further already damaged tissue. I'm working on some hip tendonitis/tendonosis right now and have learned that ibuprofen can inhibit the healing process because I feel like I can go harder than I should and I'm damaging the tissue.

This is often a months long process to do it right. I'm three months in and doing way better, but it's been driving me nuts cause I simply have to throttle back and not go hard until the time is right--getting there. But if you go too hard too fast...? Right back to ground zero to start all over again. Patience.

ddiwd33

Banned
a friends of mind use to experience that, he go read of it through change of diet, exercising and also with the help of some recommended meds. stay strong, a lot of people dont know but it causes a lot of discomfort.

Johnboy

WKR
I battled with medial epicondylitis ("golfer's elbow", which often has nothing to do with golf) for more than 5 years, and I'm pleased/relieved to report that it's completely healed. I can offer a couple of things for your consideration.

1) Get a set of these: Rogue Fitness - VooDoo Bands
2) Use the above bands to stretch like this: Elbow Pain Medial and Lateral Epicondylitis BAM the fix! | Trevor Bachmeyer | SmashweRx - YouTube
3) Try a low carb diet. I've been on a ketogenic diet now for a couple of months, and it has done more to bring inflammation down than any single other thing I've done. My whole body feels restored, including a twice-rebuilt shoulder and a Tommy-John elbow, and chronic knee tendonitis.

My theory on why this condition becomes chronic is that the forearm muscles tighten up due to micro-injury (overuse), and the unrelenting tension perpetuates the problem, disallowing the tendon connection points a chance to heal. Proper stretching causes myofascial release, easing the tension on the injury, giving your body a chance to heal itself (WAY better option than surgery!).

I'm 40 years old, live a very active lifestyle, had tried everything (cortisone, PRP injections, dry needling [which did help some], therapy, prolonged rest [like pretending I didn't have arms], etc.). I was figuring I'd have to deal with tendonitis for the rest of my life, so it's with no small amount of satisfaction that I can say that I'm healed and able to continue doing the things I enjoy.

That's my experience with it, FWIW.

Sioux33

FNG
Google eccentric exercises. Rest is not going to do you much good. I've had it bad in my Achilles and elbow and doing the eccentric exercises did wonders. Might not ever get you back to pre-injury condition, but sure beats surgery.

Johnboy

WKR
I’ll second the voodoo bands. I’ve had both tennis and golfers elbow to the point where it was unbearable to even hold a bottle of water. This is the program that I did and it worked well.

The Tendonitis Cure | T Nation

Good info. In that link, there's reference to Gua Sha, which promotes blood flow. Given that tendons are quite avascular (few blood vessels), anything you can do to promote blood flow is a win. Blood brings healing, better blood flow (generally) brings better/faster healing.

Recent study found that 15grams Gelatin (1tbsp) taken with Vit C (juice of some sort) increase collagen sythesis. So helps with joints, ligaments, tendons etc. It's a cheap way to supplement for joints. Look into Fish oils and glucosamine supplements as well to help.