Not at all hunting related but need help with lawnmower

gwl79902

WKR
Going to cut the grass or the first time this year. Before winter I drained the gas and pulled the cup off the bottom of the carb and emptied all fuel. I put in some old gas and it started and ran for a few minutes and died. I got new gas filled it up. Pulled the carb off and sprayed it with carb cleaner. It would not start. I pulled the plug. And cleaned it. I checked for spark and there is one but not blue more yellow. Any ideas on the spark or what else it could be? I need to mow the yard so I can go turkey hunting.

What kind of mower? Is the fuel pump all in one w/ the carb or stand alone? Also fuel filter?

Most small engine mechanics number one job security factor these days is fuel related. If you have spark albeit not great, I'd try fuel filter, fuel pump, carb in that order. Unless it's a bigger rider like an exmark or grasshopper then those can get a little more complex with security shutoff shorting out. If it's a small push mower something as simple as a carb kit or one of the thin rubber diaphragm fuel pumps might cure it.

LostArra

WKR
I would pay the neighbor kid to cut the grass and go turkey hunting. Fix the mower when you get back.

Are you using 100% gas or the ethanol stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

gwl79902

WKR
It is a brigs and Stratton so it is gravely and vacuumed, I think it works that way. I will pull the carb an soak it in cleaner. I forgot to put in my first post that i sprayed starter Luis in the cab and in head and it would not turn over at all.

Billinsd

WKR
I'd throw in a new spark plug. Check the air filter is it wet or dirty. Make sure the fuel line is open. Those are easy cheap things. Change the oil if it's dirty, it can make valves stick. :cool:

rob86jeep

WKR
Spray some starter fluid on the air cleaner and try to start it immediately (has to be really fast). If it doesn't start then die with starter fluid, I would say it's spark problem. However, most of my mower troubles usually turn out to be bad/old gas. Sometimes i'll think if I mix some new gas with the old in the tank that it will work and it never does. I always ended up draining the tank and filling with all new gas and it does the trick.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Not sure I can get you out of this pickle but going forward SeaFoam and Premium gas with NO Ethanol in any small engine. My neighbor, a retired F-16 mechanic, taught me that and I have not had an issue yet with many small engines since. Has been magic for me. also run them dry before long term storage. Good Luck

I had a problem like this once on an old mower. Turned out to be a little piece of debris had clogged the jet.

Jimbob

WKR
Taking carb apart and spraying all the little jets out with carb cleaner has always solved my problems.

tttoadman

WKR
I quit draining fuel. I load up the fuel stabilizer and leave everything full. I start all my saws and generator at least every month. biggest fix for me was also going to the ethanol free fuel.

OP
G

gwl79902

WKR
I cleaned the carb, I pulled the pull rope housing off and cleaned the top of the motor and fly shell . Put it back together and it started on second pull. So thanks for all the help