What’s your attainable bucket list for hunts look like?

Tag_Soup

WKR
Great post! Really gets me thinking...

I have started building points in several states with some of the "bigger picture" in mind. Like the OP, I am in my late 20's so time and proper planning is on my side. I break up my goals into short and long term to keep things obtainable:

Next 12 months:

1) Take 2 quality mule deer (i will be hunting a minimum of 2 states and up to 4), 1 with archery equipment
2) Have an opportunity to harvest a bull elk - will have tags in at least 2 states
3) Hunt more waterfowl than previous years, also utilize them more fully (render fat, keep more whole birds instead of breasts and thighs)
4) Harvest a pig and/or bear
5) Hit my weight loss goal by august 15th

Next 5 years:

1) DIY Alaskan Caribou/Black Bear hunt with my buddy (ex alaska st. resident who has some doable spots on the road system)
2) POW black bear hunt with archery equipment
3) Harvest a mature bull elk with archery equipment
4) Harvest my first pronghorn (came close spot and stalk with a bow in '13, but didn't get it done)
5) Go on a sheep hunt (highly unlikely that it will be my tag)
6) Horseback elk hunt in the Frank Church with my dad (he used to do a 10 day every year when I was a kid and has the stock) and 3 brothers

Lifetime:
1) harvest all three species of bighorn in lower 48 (Rocky, California, Desert) - This will require me to continue pursuing points in several states as well as getting involved in all the raffles/conservation event tags I can.
2) Harvest a quality Shiras Moose
3) Go on a Dall or Stone sheep hunt
4) Harvest a Boone & Crockett mule deer with archery equipment
5) Harvest a Boone & Crockett bull elk
6) Participate in my kids first hunts/harvests
7) DIY alaskan Moose hunt with buddy
8) DIY canadian waterfowl road trip
9) Donate more time and money to conservation - ideally participate in sheep recovery projects at a higher level
10) Never need to buy beef or pork again

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Elk hunted the past two years, but have yet to harvest one. Hopefully this will be the year.

Getting packed into the wilderness on horseback was high on my bucket list, and my son and I are doing it this year.

The rest of my bucket list is:
Maryland Sitka < possibly this year
Antelope < possible next year
Moose < looking at 2020
Wild Pig with a pistol < got to start thinking about this.

I have slowly been checking my bucket list animals off the list over the past 10 years.

Moose was always number 1 (2015)
Elk was number 2 (2017)

I killed giants of both of those the last few years. So now it’s just on to the next trip. I do want to kill the super 10 all with my bow and then I will see where it goes from there.

Here is what is planned

New Zealand spring 2019

Mule deer fall 2019

I have a bank account that I put 100$a week/$5200 a year in. My plan is to save up and book a multi species NWT sheep hunt in 2020. We will see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkyinzer

WKR
Mine is pretty basic. I would like to do a few moose hunts, definitely a float trip or two. Other than that just stay healthy enough to hunt elk out west regularly for the next 40 years or so and hopefully draw some quality tags in that time between OTC hunts. Mix in a few muley hunts, and kill a mature buck at home every year. At some point plan to dabble into the trad world and hunt with a selfbow. I guess I am a simpleton but the sheep and goats just don't appeal to me, no desire to hunt bears, and scores don't mean a dang thing to me.

cnelk

WKR
My DIY Bucket List

Colorado B&C Shiras Moose - Done
Alaska 60" Moose - Done
Alaska caribou - Done
Colorado P&Y Elk - Done
Colorado WT - Done
Colorado Mule Deer - Done
Colorado pronghorn - Done
Wyoming P&Y pronghorn - Done
Wyoming Elk - Done
Minnesota Bear - Done
Minnesota P&Y WT - Done
Texas Hogs - Done
Nebraska WT - Done
Nebraska turkey - Done

No desire to hunt sheep or goat

Not much left in 'the bucket' - Just want to keeping enjoying each and every hunt

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
This is an interesting post to read as a Midwesterner with a ton of whitetails and no other big game animals under my belt.

So here’s mine:
Drew an elk tag for this fall, I’d like to make that a regular thing.
Sitka blacktail on Kodiak will probably be our next hunting trip. Fly in for Caribou and float for moose next on the list. I’d also like to do a full on squirrel trip at some point where it’s the focus instead of something to do before or after deer season.

Btaylor

WKR
Something I have been thinking about and wish I would have thought of a bunch of years ago is to shoot for a gross P&Y buck off as many different WMAs as possible to finish out my bowhunting years. We get 2 buck tags here each year but we have a bunch of WMAs.

Other than that just make an elk trip each year for as long as I physically can to bank enough mental trips for the years I physically can't.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Living in Alaska, I have been fortunate to successfully hunt black bears, grizzly, brown bears, dall sheep, mountain goats, Sitka blacktail deer, moose and caribou already.

Now my highest priority is getting my daughter (currently 17 months old) out on hunts with us. We managed to drag her along for black bear, deer, moose and caribou in her first year of life, and I am excited to see what we can hunt as a family this season. The success of a trip isn't measured in my mind so much by whether or not we fill tags, but just getting out there together. Although knocking a few critters over with her along would be awfully fun.

I’ve never hunted anywhere but FL and TX. Animals I’ve taken are

Whitetail (including 2 nice 10 pts on public land)
Hogs
Turkeys (Eastern & Osceola)
Ducks
Dove
Snipe
Quail

I put in for an Elk tag in CO this year, hopefully I at least draw a black bear tag if the elk doesn’t pan out. I really would prefer the elk tag though and take a SE AK black bear hunt from a skiff one day. Also been putting in for Sambar the last 5 years, hopefully this could be the one.

Other hunts I’d like to take are

Free range aoudad
Spot and stalk nilgai
Mule deer
Fly in caribou
African plains game

It can seem daunting financially to even take these “poor boy” hunts when you consider tags, travel, shipping fees, gear you need, time off work, etc, and some of the tags still take several years to draw. I realized though that if you can set aside $100 each week, you can take a $5k hunt every year without having to pull any money from your other accounts. That really should be pretty do able if it’s a priority to you.

So moreso than specific hunts, my goal has been to start taking a 4-7 day travel hunting trip and travel fishing trip every year. A lot of times I put things off until it’s “more convenient” then it continues to not happen. Hoping to change that this year.

WRO

WKR
My to do list includes:

Coues
Sitka blacktail
Another good whitetail buck

Tur
Bison
Mtn Goat
Moose
Ibex

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Russp17

WKR
I’m pretty lucky growing up in wyoming and then moving to Alaska. I’ve got antelope, mule deer, elk, moose, grizzly, aududad, caribou, dall sheep, whitetail, bison and mtn goat checked off at 33.....
Animals still on the list to hunt are Rocky Mountain bighorn, ibex, coues deer, and id like to get a tahr. I’d also like to get a Sitka blacktail(don’t know how I live in Alaska and still haven’t gone blacktail hunting).

I don't think your goals are too much. Might be tough drawing all the tags in Colorado though.

My goals are similar. Just add Africa and NZ in there. Love international hunts.

I moved to Alaska to chase my hunting dreams and they have been nothing but spectacular.

What's left is:
Deer and turkey slam
Elk
Africa
NZ

Pretty basic but it could take me a while.

lif

WKR
I don’t really have an animal bucket list but more of an experience bucket list.

1. Call in a bull elk for my son to stick with an arrow
2. Get a solo hunted bull in a wilderness area and pack it out by myself
3. Get a grip and grin with myself, my son, and my wife all with successfully kills on one hunt
4. Never hire a guide. ( no offense, I have nothing against outfitters, I just take pride in figuring things out my self.)

That’s probably it. Lots of other things I’d like to do but those 4 things are definitely going to happen. I’m 41 and plan on hiking until I’m 70. I guess I’m an optimist

Gobbler36

WKR
Alaska moose, caribou, and black tail along with spring black bear and shrimping crabbing and fishing.
New Zealand red stag

Turkey slam is also in there as well as deer.

Sheep and Goat

Now I have hopes for a diy lower 48 griz

Would love to list Dall Sheep and stone sheep but don’t think it will ever happen due to the ever increasing cost of these hunts

I posted a 10 yr plan on here a while back. In a nutshell, it was Sitka Blacktail, Moose, caribou and black bear in Alaska, OTC elk in Colorado, draw mule deer in Colorado. Thats the next decade for me. Dream hunts that could happen but will take some loooong term saving and planning is African Safari, New Zealand red stag and tahr and Dall Sheep in Alaska.

Sykes

WKR
I've been fortunate to live in the mountains of northern Colorado for my entire adult life so I typically get at least a cow elk a year. I've also be fortunate to have killed 2 300"+ bulls in the last 3 years and 3 nice black bears in the past 5 years.
So the critters I hope to hunt someday are
Bighorn and Desert sheep
Barbary sheep
Mt Goat
Moose
Mountain Lion
And no 1 is a Kodiak Brown bear

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Right now it is, in order of priority:

Dall Sheep