What’s your attainable bucket list for hunts look like?

I know a Marco Polo sheep, Himalayan Ibex, or Sable are animals we always say in passing “man id love to hunt one of those some day!” (At least I do), but what are your realistic bucket lists animals that you plan on pursuing and harvesting in your lifetime? I’m probably never going to go on an African safari or an Asian mountain hunt so here’s a list of what I’ve got my eye on here in North America....for now.

I’m 28 and have set aside a hunt fund for a couple that will most likely be outfitted, but for starters and DIY, I want to harvest at least one of every big game species in Colorado as a resident:

Mule Deer
Whitetail
Moose
Pronghorn
Rocky Mountain Bighorn
Desert Bighorn
Mtn Goat
Black Bear
Mtn Lion
Elk

I also want to achieve the North American Deer slam, which means also going after

Coues
Columbia Blacktail
Sitka Blacktail

I’d love to go after an Aoudad at some point

I think after all that I may settle on a Caribou as my big outfitted hunt, maybe I could combine that with Sitka Blacktail?

Is mine too lofty at the age of 28? 🤟🏻🤟🏻 I only pray that I’m blessed enough to find the time to achieve it all in my life, with the plans to start a family here pretty soon it could all go out the window but I hope not! I’m embarrassed to say I’ve got a google excel sheet with all of these hunts planned on it that I tend to daydream about.

Anyways, what are some of yalls goals and aspirations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
No, thats not too lofty. It probably the only way to accomplish that list is to start young and stay focused.

(BTW, African hunts don't really trip my trigger currently, but they are much cheaper than you think, so I wouldn't write them off as a lost cause so quickly without really looking into it.)

My To-Do list is pretty close to yours. Being down in TX these days gives me access to a number of very cool free range critters, but I spent WAAAAAAAYYY too many years only chasing tiny whitetails and waterfowl. Wish I'd been exposed to mountain hunting much, much earlier in life.

So far I've gotten the Aoudad, Oryx, javalina, Rio Grand, and Mouflon sheep.

Focusing primarily on elk these days. My absolute passion. After I get that itch scratched...

Next:

- Mule deer - any legal buck

- Axis (TX or Hawaii)

- Black Buck (TX)

- 160+ white tail

- Nilgai (TX)

- shiras moose

- black bear (leaving for my 1st spring bear hunt in 6 days, MT)

- alligator (TX)

- Merriam Turkey (got a MT turkey tag in my pocket next week too!)

The next category is the "If I win the lottery and draw a Non-Res tag against all odds:

- Ibex (NM)

- big horn

- desert sheep

- mtn goat

- grizzly (lower 48, if tags are ever officially released)

- Trophy elk (NV, AZ, KY, PA)

The last group is the "If I make enough money one day...."

(ALASKA or BC)

- Giant Alaskan Moose

- Dall Sheep

- Caribou

- Grizzly

NEW ZEALAND (free range only)

- Red stag

- Fallow Deer

- tahr (least excited about this one, but if I'm there I'd like to get one)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BuzzH

WKR
Your biggest challenge will be drawing sheep and moose permits. The point schemes in most of the states have really crushed the odds for people your age, IMO.

I was lucky, got in and drew tags when many were still random (goat and moose in MT)...and started early enough in the point games, that I will still draw a few more.

I never started out with a list or anything, just sort of took opportunities as they came up and have applied religiously for the last 38 years. I've successfully hunted everything on your list (plus a few more) except caribou and Columbia blacktail. Would like to chase both of those here soon.

Good luck to you, I think your list is achievable over a lifetime.

Salix

FNG
I’m in BC so have plenty of opportunity here. Got multiple mule deer , moose and elk already. Next bucket list is mnt goat though. I’ve been out for goat hunt past two falls but haven’t connected yet. I keep telling myself I will do a stone sheep hunt one of these years but I need to get on that one as it only will get harder as I get older.
The other bucket list hunt that I have is for spring turkey. Couple buddies did it this year and it sounded like a lot of fun. I’m in for next year for sure.

krohboy

WKR
The Asian hunts are honestly very obtainable if you want them to be. In fact some of them are much less expensive then hunts in your home state. If it is truly one of your dreams then wrk for it an make it happen.

My bucket list at least for the next five years include Caribou in Alaska and Tur in Azerbaijan. I am 26 and don't think your goals are lofty at all.

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Good goals! I have shot

Elk
Mulies
Whitetails
Pronghorn
Black bear
Hogs
Turkeys

As far as bucket list goes...
Caribou
Moose
Grid in the lower 48 if I am lucky not really interested in an Alaskan griz hunt.
Also the last hunt that is kind of interesting is a musk ox caribou combo in Greenland I saw that hunt somewhere and was like that's awesome.

For now New Zealand, Africa, and any sheep or goats don't really interest me but we will see!

NDGuy

WKR
As lame as it is, Elk. At first glance when I was younger it seemed so unattainable for me, I knew no one that hunted the western states and my dad didn't have much interest in working towards making a trip.

Living in ND we just don't have the opportunity to consistently harvest any big game in our own state outside of WT and Muleys for Archery. Rifle tags take years to draw a good unit due to a combination of poor winter conditions and habitat loss. You can draw Elk/Moose but they are <1.5% on any given year. I envy those living in the western states that can do it every year.

I know you can just pay for a guide but I want to harvest a good bull DIY and have just started looking into it the last 2 years. I am 26 and should have plenty of time to get it done, but it's a dream of mine to get a nice bull Elk. It is still a few years down the road since I need to save the money and be as prepared as possible.

Add Moose to the list as well for me.

Last edited:

robie

WKR
It's interesting when you put pen to paper to look at it.

I'm going to leave off lottery hunts, because I think all of us want a bighorn tag.

Next 20 Years
Kodiak Mountain Goat
TOK Dall Sheep
DIY AK Moose
Idaho Moose
DIY AK Caribou
Alberta Black Bear
Wilderness WY Horseback Elk
Mule Deer - CO High Country
Azerbaijani Tur
Mid Asian Ibex
Spain - Ibex
Javelina
Aoudad - West Texas

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Realistically......I'm starting to feel like Africa and Asia are much more attainable than Colorado moose and sheep. At least with Africa and Asia I'm the one dictating whether I go or not, instead of the CDOW.

There are hunters that draw both sheep and moose in the units I apply for every year with less points than I have, so those truly are lottery draws.

gbflyer

WKR
Another branch antlered bull in a CO OTC unit before I pass. Or at least see one again.

vanish

WKR
Living in CO has major benefits. Pretty much every year I hunt:

Elk
Pronghorn
Mule Deer and/or Whitetail
Turkey ( Rio and/or Merriam )

This year, I'm putting Black Bear on the list. Had some bear chili at the BHA cookoff and that was good enough for me. I don't currently have any desire to hunt Mountain Lion. I fully expect to draw Mountain Goat, Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep and Shiras Moose some day.

Mentally, I'm planning these hunts:

Texas Hogs ( have a friend with property now, could happen next spring! )
Alaskan Caribou
Kodiak Blacktails
New Mexico Aoudad
Hawaiian Axis Deer and Feral goats
New Zealand Tahr, Fallow Deer and Peacock

Undecided on Coues Deer. Inlaws have a ranch in south eastern AZ that would be a great base camp, but I'm just not excited about hunting them.

There are two complicating factors for me: 1.) We're prime family age, and don't have any children yet. This makes planning darn near impossible, especially because 2.) My wife also hunts, and I'll be damned if she's going to let me do an "exotic" hunt without her.

The only hunt that really comes to my mind for being a dream hunt that is absolutely obtainable, is a horse/mule pack in, Rocky Mt. elk hunt. Something like two weeks with wall tents, nice wood burners, good food, etc. Basically the whole experience that I’ve read about many times, but just haven’t yet had the opportunity to do.

Musk Ox and Bison here in AK. would be a couple more, but mainly just for the meat as the whole experience of those hunts has never really impressed me that much. They’re also the only big game species up here that I haven’t hunted/killed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vanish

WKR
As lame as it is, Elk.

I know you can just pay for a guide but I want to harvest a good bull DIY and have just started looking into it the last 2 years. I am 26 and should have plenty of time to get it done, but it's a dream of mine to get a nice bull Elk. It is still a few years down the road since I need to save the money and be as prepared as possible.

I think most guys overthink elk. Yeah, the whole backcountry pack train hunt would be really cool, but a lot of elk are killed every year without all the latest fancy gear, without horses or without backpacking in. You're in ND so you're pretty close to elk country already. If you have the gear to hunt deer, you probably don't need much more to hunt elk. Just the tag and time!

NDGuy

WKR
I think most guys overthink elk. Yeah, the whole backcountry pack train hunt would be really cool, but a lot of elk are killed every year without all the latest fancy gear, without horses or without backpacking in. You're in ND so you're pretty close to elk country already. If you have the gear to hunt deer, you probably don't need much more to hunt elk. Just the tag and time!

Yep that's what I was trying to describe, at first glance it was this far reaching task but I get now that it is very doable. Now I am just accumulating preference points, money, and the most important currency of all...wife points haha

Fitzwho

WKR
Being 32 and this only my 3rd year playing the application game, I just wish I had started applying when I got out of college, I'd be pretty well set, even if I had only been applying in AZ, UT, and NV. Had a decent job as a civil engineer, but that's probably all I could have afforded, maybe could have been getting points in Wyoming and Montana too. When I changed jobs 6 years ago I started looking at some more serious hunts and killed a moose in Alberta and a Texas Pronghorn in 2015, having killed more whitetails that I can count living in Texas and 3 mule deer bucks as well. I prefer DIY when I can, I try to allot $1500 just for applications year to year and $1500-$2000 for tags that I know I can get. Any surprises I am blessed to be able to cashflow if something crazy happens (i.e. pull a sheep tag). The issue I have anymore is making the time to go on the hunts, rather than affording them, with my job and having my 15 month old daughter running around, I try to spend as much time with her that I can. Only had 2 real hunts last fall (not counting chasing quail a few days, and shooting a hog from my in-laws porch), and should have 4-5 tags this fall, but probably wont leave home for more than 4-5 days even with driving time, and won't be doing any extra-curricular activities after tagging out like I used to.

I have now hunted New Mexico the last 3 years, got my Coues in AZ last year, and a Pronghorn doe in Utah. My hit list is very similar to yours, need to get a bull elk and try for at least one per year thereafter. Otherwise:

2018 Trips:
NM Pronghorn
CO Pronghorn and mule deer (should be 100% draw odds but who knows with the changes this year)
UT Mule Deer (pretty good odds of drawing general deer this year)
Wyoming Pronghorn

Add to those a trip to Argentina in the spring of 2019 that my wife and I are trying to plan, and a trip to New Zealand in another couple years. My wife doesn't hunt, but wants nothing more than to go to Africa, so I'll have to find the time and cash to chase a few critters around over there.

Domestically, finishing out my deer slam would be cool (Sitka and Columbia Blacktails), black bear, mountain lion (probably just one), and start working through caribou, then very impatiently waiting for a chance at a sheep tag. I have tossed the idea around of pulling a ewe tag in Nevada or Colorado just for the chance to go out and kill a sheep. I try to add at least one new state to my hunting portfolio every year too. 2018 should add Wyoming and Colorado, 2019 hoping for Montana and probably Kansas, then applying in Idaho, South Dakota, Nevada, etc to get those down the line somewhere.

Fitzwho

WKR
I guess for me, the point is that most anything that I want is attainable, but it's how hard do I need to work and what do I have to sacrifice (family time, other hunts, etc) to get there. My somewhat unattainable list is short right now: Lord Derby Eland (coolest looking critter on the planet IMO) and Stone Sheep. I just have a hard time with saying that I'm cool with spending over $40k for an animal. My truck barely cost that.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I think most guys overthink elk. Yeah, the whole backcountry pack train hunt would be really cool, but a lot of elk are killed every year without all the latest fancy gear, without horses or without backpacking in.

Yep. My daughter shot her 330 bull last year during ML 1/2 mile from the truck. But it does help when you know the areas you're hunting.

Tag_Soup

WKR
Yep. My daughter shot her 330 bull last year during ML 1/2 mile from the truck. But it does help when you know the areas you're hunting.

Thats awesome! congrats for her, really cool to hear about kids having success. Guess you'll have to change to 0.5MilesBack now though...