might get laughed at but thats ok....handgun for Griz

Luked

WKR
so we are taking our honeymoon to Yellowstone. we are going to be doing a lot of hiking and possibly a overnighter in the back country.
so with that said the Future wife feel a little safer if I had a gun with me just In case for griz. yea ill have bear spray also and I know its not illegal to carry in Yellowstone but it is to fire a handgun off but I would rather take a fine than get ate.
yea go ahead and laugh at me ;)
with that said I'm looking at maybe a 10mm or a 357. 10mm I know is a powerful round but not easy to come by around here. and the 357 you can trip over boxes of that stuff at about any place that sells ammo but would the 357 be enough?

No to the .357. Yes to the 10mm. With some 230gr Double tap hardcast.
I agree with 2ski, no on the 357 yes to the 10mm. You might have to bite the bullet and buy ammo online. I would recommend listening to episode 121 of the "Hunt Backcountry Podcast" it has some really good information about bears.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
Most people from what I have seen recommend a .44 or 10mm.

Don't count out a shortened shotgun with slugs. Mossberg and Remington make some nice options.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I feel differently on this subject.....it is all about penetration, namely of the skull. Like a charging elephant if you don't brain them then you will likely need a Band-Aid. Vital shots can take some time to do any good. That said a 357 (or yes larger too) with something like Grizzly Punch loads with brass machined bullets penetrate like crazy. I have shot my 44 alongside the 357 with these loads into 1/4 and 3/8 steel plate and the 357 did better due to the smaller diameter I suspect. Big is better unless it is such a burden you don't have it along.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
thanks guys.
ill fire up the podcast now. I'm new with out west and just want to be safe not sorry

JDeanP

Lil-Rokslider
The only real option:

[video=youtube;1FJeHA6KshI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FJeHA6KshI&has_verified=1[/video]

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can you carry a gun in the park? I'd double check the rules I know they changed awhile back but don't recall for sure.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
The only real option:

This is what I picture actually happening haha sorry OP we aren't helping qualm your uneasiness. Just don't show the wife this thread!

[video=youtube;GOlVRHsVzE4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOlVRHsVzE4[/video]

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can you carry a gun in the park? I'd double check the rules I know they changed awhile back but don't recall for sure.

Just educated myself you can carry guns in park since 2010 where have I been?

I feel differently on this subject.....it is all about penetration, namely of the skull. Like a charging elephant if you don't brain them then you will likely need a Band-Aid. Vital shots can take some time to do any good. That said a 357 (or yes larger too) with something like Grizzly Punch loads with brass machined bullets penetrate like crazy. I have shot my 44 alongside the 357 with these loads into 1/4 and 3/8 steel plate and the 357 did better due to the smaller diameter I suspect. Big is better unless it is such a burden you don't have it along.

How many people do you know can accurately shoot a wheel gun under stress with a magnum round? I think the 10mm would better suit most people, and you have more rounds on board (which is never a bad thing under duress).

Glock 20 with Underwood 200gr Hard Cast vote here

jmden

WKR
If carry concealed in Yellowstone, a good idea if around folks I think---as was said in another thread, you'll need a concealed carry permit that's good in Wyoming and some of the park is in Montana. So, gotta know the rules for those states.

Remember, you still cannot legally carry concealed (or open) into a federal building--which makes me wonder--since much of the park operations have been given over to a private company, does that still mean all the buildings are federally owned? Can't even go to the post office anywhere carrying because that's a federal building.

Federal Gun Laws: What Places Are Off-Limits With The FEDS? Scroll down just a bit to 'federal buildings', but the whole thing is a probably a good read.

Last edited:

wytx

WKR
Are you going to carry it with one in the pipe? If you think you'll have time to rack it, think again.
10mm would be my choice, 180 gr bullets will penetrate a hogs shield so it will do more than enough damage to a grizz. The 200 gr hard cast sound great though.
Remember, any bear taken reflect on our available tags for this fall.

JDeanP

Lil-Rokslider
Here's something else to consider. Are you taking/buying a gun just to make your wife feel safe on this trip? Personally, Id be fine with the bear spray, but guns are indeed fun to buy and own. If it were me, I'd buy the gun that would get the most use outside of this trip and just make sure the spray was up to snuff and that the lady didn't know the gun was simply for here peace of mind.

boom

WKR
LAUGH AT YOU?? no we bow down at you..you my friend, just parlayed a little irrational bear-fear into spousal permission to buy a HANDGUN....on your honeymoon!!

dude.. seriously while the iron is still warm, tell her a brand new Chevy Duramax diesel is bear-proof. :) i've been to Yellowstone..i could outrun 80% of the park visitors when i was there..i stayed close to the tender ones and the older ones. haha.

congrats on the nuptials bud.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
How many people do you know can accurately shoot a wheel gun under stress with a magnum round? I think the 10mm would better suit most people, and you have more rounds on board (which is never a bad thing under duress).

Glock 20 with Underwood 200gr Hard Cast vote here

Coonan 357 1911 is pretty cool if that is your concern.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
LAUGH AT YOU?? no we bow down at you..you my friend, just parlayed a little irrational bear-fear into spousal permission to buy a HANDGUN....on your honeymoon!!

dude.. seriously while the iron is still warm, tell her a brand new Chevy Duramax diesel is bear-proof. :) i've been to Yellowstone..i could outrun 80% of the park visitors when i was there..i stayed close to the tender ones and the older ones. haha.

congrats on the nuptials bud.

HA rather have the gun than the Duramax...don't have tp pay payments for 6 years on the gun..one payment and its mine :eek:
we will have spray also but also I'm confident with a gun. have I ever fired one under diress. no but I think both of us would feel better with one than without.
as far as the firearm rules my CCW is valid in Montana and Wyoming.
and from what I have read as far as carry laws you can legally carry a gun in the park with a valid CCW licence but cannot fire one in the park. but I would take a fine over being ate LOL

Beendare

WKR
lots of threads on this.

#1. Carry what you are fast and proficient with.

Many defer to bear spray.........but then they have never even fired a can......no training= very low odds of things working out well under pressure

If you get a 357 be sure to get a revolver and make sure you file the front sight down smooth. That way it doesn’t hurt so bad when that grizz shoves it up your a$$ after you piss him off with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redside

Lil-Rokslider
I'd also suggest how to be "bear aware" from hiking and camping ect. Basically be loud and noisy while hiking, keep a clean camp, I'm sure you've read up on it. The people who get attacked usually do so because they surprise a bear.

I'd hate to be the person who shoots and/or kills a grizz in the park. You'd be better off shooting a human. The amount of fallout from something like that...that Cecil guy would look like a hero. Make sure you have deployed the bear spray no matter what happens and it would probably be good if you let the bear chew on you a bit for good measure.