Kodiak,, Boats, Bears and Backpacks.

No thanks I will continue to use sleds when snow is involved. ;)

Wimp.

:D

Kodiak trip looks awesome. For some reason that cold, wet, windy place is some of my best memories, and I know I'll be back again. And I agree about the adventure and logistics making the trip. I'm sure my success rate would be a lot higher if I didn't hunt so many new places, but it keeps me interested.

Long time lurker, first post. Congrats on an awesome adventure. Bears brings out the best in people, and often times the worst as well. I am quite intrigued by the head wound. My wife is a vet, and I showed her the picture. Her Vet response was that she would have an extremely hard time believing that was a fall wound (5-6 months ago). Now pictures don't always tell the entire story, but she stated that if it was a fall wound, it had to have been opened up again by some sort of fight. A fall wound would have had much more healing. Her guess is that its a few weeks old, at most, or a fight with another bear tore it open again.

Great bear, great adventures.

Great write up and pics Steve! Thanks for posting the story, I always enjoy reading about your hunts. Congrats on a wonderful trip and experience, keep ‘em coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
Long time lurker, first post. Congrats on an awesome adventure. Bears brings out the best in people, and often times the worst as well. I am quite intrigued by the head wound. My wife is a vet, and I showed her the picture. Her Vet response was that she would have an extremely hard time believing that was a fall wound (5-6 months ago). Now pictures don't always tell the entire story, but she stated that if it was a fall wound, it had to have been opened up again by some sort of fight. A fall wound would have had much more healing. Her guess is that its a few weeks old, at most, or a fight with another bear tore it open again.

Great bear, great adventures.

The smell was the tell.. I'm sure he busted it open as he crashed through the brush, you could smell the stench of an old wound. There was some healing on the skull too. I wonder how hibernation would effect healing? He was fat and healthy otherwise. The bio took samples from the area and also agreed that he was most likely shot.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Here is a better pic and you can kinda see how it tried to heal up.

Na0s1jK.jpg

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just flew home last night from a busy work week out of state. Ever since Luke sent me some pics I’ve been looking forward to your write up. As always Steve, great job my friend. Thanks for taking the time to keep Rokslide great. Hope to see you and more fireball on a packraft rondy this summer :cool:

I particularly like the use of the fish pick as a skinning aid. Must be an Alaskan trick. I’m surprised he soaked up that much lead though. The recovered bullets look like they performed as designed, do you think a partition might have done more tissue damage, resulting in a quicker kill?

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
I particularly like the use of the fish pick as a skinning aid. Must be an Alaskan trick. I’m surprised he soaked up that much lead though. The recovered bullets look like they performed as designed, do you think a partition might have done more tissue damage, resulting in a quicker kill?

The hook works great on greasy bears, hard to hold on to and easy to get cut. I have used partitions before and recovered the bullets looked about the same. He had several "fatal" wounds, they can be at times very hard to stop and can move incredible distances in a short time. What was missing was that exit hole you want to see, only the chest shot exited. Hard to get good blood trail with no exit.

The meat hook, cut resistant gloves and extreme care all are needed when skinning.