Give me suggestions for a backpack trail

Widerd

FNG
So I am finally got my wife to agree to a backpacking trip, just the two of us, and I need suggestions on a trail to take. I am planning on making it a 3-4 day trip and would like to do an easy loop that has great views. I was thinking Colorado but I am open to anywhere in the lower 48. She is not a fitness nut or a hiking nut so I want to make the hike moderate and under 5 miles a day; especially since I will be carrying the bulk of the load. I would love to have a lake or two or a river to camp by. I have the "All trails" app if that helps in your suggestions.

So where should I take her? Also, what pitfalls should I avoid to make sure that she loves it and wants to go back?

Go

UtahJimmy

WKR
what pitfalls should I avoid to make sure that she loves it and wants to go back?

Go

Don't go out for 3-4 days on your trial run. That is a sure way to fail.

Do a local overnight first.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Since your wife is not a" fitness nut" I suggest a hike of about 5 miles that you stay at for the 3-4 days, and just do day hikes from there. Don't make it a physically demanding trip for her. Concentrate on making it a relaxing experience in a very scenic area, so that she enjoys it, and want to do more.

PNWTO

Lil-Rokslider
Alpine Lakes Wilderness in Central WA. Some easy to access lakes that you can basecamp out of. I would echo the thoughts of others and not pull camp every single day. Set up for a night or two and explore around during the day.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't have a specific trail to recommend to you. But you are spot on that getting her to go again will be much easier if she's comfortable and has fun. My first suggestion is getting her decent gear to keep her comfortable, warm and dry. You don't have to buy the latest and greatest but don't totally cheap out either. My priority items would be decent boots/hiking shoes, a pack that fits her, sleeping pad and sleeping bag, and decent raingear (if you'll be in an area where it's necessary--here in AK good rain gear is a must).

Also, while I think your idea of a low mileage loop is a fantastic one, I don't think I would commit to something that requires a particular distance for your very first trip. I would shoot for a low mileage overnighter to begin with. That way if something doesn't work for her (boots or pack not just right, sleeping bag not warm enough, gear too heavy) you aren't committed to multiple days of misery for her. Once you know she's got a set up that works, then I would jump into the multiday trip.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not totally relevant to your post, but I think some of it applies. My husband Luke and I wrote this article (6 years ago now, wow) together about some of the ways I got into backpack hunting. While some of my thoughts have evolved since then, most of it still rings true.

Getting Your Wife To Go - Rokslide

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
I would suggest downloading Hiking Project by REI. The map shows trail numbers and gets more specific as you zoom to a location. Once you find a trail you are interested in it will show the terrain profile of the trail. My wife and I did Beaver Creek last year and it was really fun... Until her ingrown toenail flared up and a 7 mile hike out took us all day.

I would say figure out what you think is a reasonable itinerary and then cut it in half and then start looking.
Make sure the pack fits like a glove, sleeping bag is warm enough and boots are well broken in. Those are seemingly obvious but can crush a trip in a hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W

Widerd

FNG
All solid advice and thanks a million. Maybe a shorter trip is a better idea for sure. Glacier sounds like I would love it for sure

Becca, I am definitely going to read your post and thanks. It helps to see it from your point of view.

boom

WKR
you good with the Sierra Nevadas in CA?

i could share the hike that got my city girl wife interested..it is a great hike that ends with a beautiful lake side camp. the hike is cheeseball easy for me, but it was perfect for the wife..

besides, i appreciated the cheeseball hike..since i was CARRYING everything. this is a good overnighter..in the summer water is warm enough to swim. so she can stay relatively clean.

I would suggest a National Park since hunting is not involved. Everything is just a little more spectacular in a NP. And there’s a lot to do and see if you take a rest day.

For newcomers I always suggest Olympic NP. It’s the only place I know where you can be clamming a beach in the morning and frying them in the alpine in the evening. Pretty much any trail into the park is awesome.

Where are you located and what time of year are you looking to go? Being able to drive there (as well as go home early if needed), and good weather would be my priorities. I’d also try to stay at lower elevation unless you’re both already used to it. If she’s suffering it’s not going to be a good experience for either of you.

Doing outdoors activities with my wife has made me realize it’s not going to be the same as a guys trip, they are usually much slower pace and shorter, but I married her for other reasons.

Just read the article by Luke and Becca, it’s a great one. I agree on purchasing quality gear, but it doesn’t have to be a $1,500 endeavor that you’ll view as a “waste” if it ends up being not her cup of tea. A quality rain jacket and pair of boots are also useful for walking the dog in bad weather or going on day hikes and working in the yard. Anyone that has been backpacking more than a few months has old or extra sleeping bags and pads as well. Let her use your latest and greatest 14 oz inflatable sleeping pad while you tote and sleep on the old foam one. Let her carry your 2 lb summer bag while you pack the 4 lb 3-season one, them switch once at camp.

One of the first trips with my wife, she slept in what I refer to as my “Alaskan” sleeping bag. It’s not high quality, but it’s a 7 lb mummy bag and I have used it in AK. For the record she sleeps with 2 blankets in a 70 degree house. It dipped into the 30’s during the night and in the morning she asked me why our dog who was sleeping between us was shaking. I responded that he was shivering because it was pretty damn cold out. I had a bit of a chill in my 40 degree bag but not bad. She didn’t believe me at the time but did after a trip to the bathroom. Had we bought her a $30 Wal-Mart sleeping bag I doubt she would ever sleep in the woods again.

Where are you from and where would you most like to go. I ask because my wife hikes and hunts with me all over around home. We live at almost 6000'. I took her on a hike to 12,000' and she puked. My point is if you push your wife you are going to have a bad time.

Does she camp now? If not just take her car camping first. Does she hike? If not do local day hikes first. Then mix a easy camp with day hikes. Don't go from nothing to backpacking. Work into the more difficult situations.