CA hunters I need help please

Dunndm

WKR
m looking at what tags I want to put in for the drawing, and this being my first year I have now been sitting here for about 5+ hours still confused. I look at OnX maps and then back at what the zones they give me are and they aren't even close to the same. I want to apply for the South unit A zone for either sex deer, but on ONX maps it's not even close to where it says it is on the PDF on Fish and game website... Can someone try and help me here before I give up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
You should only be concerned with the California DFG Regs and the unit maps provided......the laws are based on DFG's maps/units.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
You should only be concerned with the California DFG Regs and the unit maps provided......the laws are based on DFG's maps/units.

It just doesn't make sense that the unit I'm applying for is so far off on OnX maps. Not even in the same ballpark

I haven't hunted A zone in decades; but my best guess is that your looking at an either sex hunt that is only a portion of South unit A.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I haven't hunted A zone in decades; but my best guess is that your looking at an either sex hunt that is only a portion of South unit A.

That's exactly what I'm looking at, just trying to figure out tags and drawings now so I don't waste years on points to places that have a lot of private or aren't necessarily that's great

Pro953

WKR
I am based up north so not 100% up on the SoCal hunts but I think you are mixing up the General A zone tags with some of the restricted either sex tags. I believe San Diego has a zone that is either sex and something north of Santa Barbara or in that general area. Maybe one other?

As you have seen by spending much time with maps. Much of A zone is private. But you should be able find some BLM or state parcels in the mix.

A zone is huge so I am curious what areas you see that do not match up. Feel free to PM and I am happy to talk you though some of the stuff. The first year is always a bit overwhelming.

Jd259

WKR
m looking at what tags I want to put in for the drawing, and this being my first year I have now been sitting here for about 5+ hours still confused. I look at OnX maps and then back at what the zones they give me are and they aren't even close to the same. I want to apply for the South unit A zone for either sex deer, but on ONX maps it's not even close to where it says it is on the PDF on Fish and game website... Can someone try and help me here before I give up?

Shoot me a pm I hunt a zone a lot and know it very well and the different hunts they offer here atleast in my area... don’t know exactly where your planning on hunting but give me a shout and I can probably help ya out.

Kgiudici

FNG
What is the hunt code you are looking at? Some of the draw hunts in A zone are county or land management specific.

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
Where are you trying to hunt? Are you looking for a rifle tag or archery? Do you know for sure that an either sex hunt exists where you want to hunt?

There aren't many doe or either sex hunts. My guess is you're a little confused and the hunt you are looking for isn't actually available.

If you look at the list of "Additional Hunts" there aren't a lot of either sex hunts and none of them seem to be in A zone south. There are a few archery specific hunts that might work, but I'm not sure if that's what you're after.

Additional hunts: https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=122277&inline

Archery hunts: https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=122278&inline

Subscribingto this tread.
I too am new to hunting and the tag system confuses me.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Is your target unit covered by the AO tag? I just usually do some random zone covered by the AO tag.

I decided to go with the MA1 tag and then the AO tag for my second