Two Days in AZ next week - Recommendations?

Brendan

WKR
I've got Thursday and Friday free next week in AZ, before Flying out of Phoenix on Saturday morning. Never been to AZ at all, so trying to figure what I should do for a couple days. Sort of want to check out Sedona and/or Flagstaff. Would consider taking a hike in the woods somewhere, maybe look for elk, deer or sheds? I do have a hunting / fishing license from applications... All else fails, I'll probably rent a mountain bike for a day or two.

I'll have a rental car, thinking I'll just pack some camping gear and stay at campgrounds or make camp somewhere while I'm there.

Any recommendations? Places to go? Eat / drink? Activities to keep myself busy?

AZWarts

FNG
There are good hiking and mountain bike trails in all three areas. Phoenix is probably going to be scorching hot so a treat up north would be much more pleasant. Good trout fishing is to be had in Sedona and Payson areas in most of the small creeks. Sedona and Flagstaff also have a lot of hiking and mountain bike trails.

Sedona offers some good fishing and hiking, the town itself is too touristy for me. Check with the particular forest service in which where you will be hiking, they just closed a pretty good chunk of forest around Williams due to severe fire warning. It is insanely dry here right now and he have waaaaayyy too many idiots who love to start campfires when they should not. If you start in Sedona, you can take the Schnebly hill road back to I-17. There are some good Elk spots off of that road if you hike around a bit. You may even find a shed or 2. If you want to get to a little cooler area, look around Flagstaff near shultz pass or on the north side of humphrey's peak, Lots of remote country.

Jd259

WKR
Head up to Jacob lake area and cruise into the kaibab and check out some true giant mule deer in the velvet unless there’s snow up there still but I hunt the archery hunt there and it’s some of the most awesome country you can see and Some giant bucks around in there and you can drive to the north rim of the canyon on the forest roads pretty cool place and the weather will probably be pretty dang nice

I agree with Jacob lake and Kaibab. I've been in Az all week working, and its been 105 out. Sucks. Next week is suppose to be cooler, but still high 90's. Kaibab is a great place, neat cabins to rent and camp in with lots of great Forest to explore.
Snakes are out every where it's warmer. I was watering my lawn and had to do the dancing Darlene as I almost stepped on the lil jerk. It's just better staying where it's cooler if you can. But there are great lil towns like Jerome, Oak Creek Canyon, even Flagstaff for most tourists. But I suspect you would love Jacob lake area most. Huge Muleys, great forest, and you pick the trail of your choice. .

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Thanks everyone, some good ideas. Fitz - Bonus point course is Wednesday. Just extended the trip by a couple days because I had them off.

RoJo

WKR
It is a bit of a drive, but ditto on the Kaibab north of the canyon. Another option for getting some good elevation to avoid the heat is the White Mountains in eastern AZ. Lots of wildlife and good trout lakes, but again a bit of a drive from Phx.

KJH

WKR
I end up in Phoenix quite often for work, and I think my favorite restaurant is there. I'll go out of the way to get there.

If you can, eat at Dicks Hideaway before you leave Phoenix. I like it for breakfast or lunch. My favorite thing on the menu is for breakfast- the RICHARDSONS COMBO (one jalapeno benedict smothered with jalapeno hollandaise & 2 chicken enchiladas with a side of asparagus, choice of red or green chile). Its enough food for 3 people, but worth it. Located at 6008 N 16th St, Phoenix, AZ 85016. There is no sign on the door, but its in a decent part of town, so no safety concerns.

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
I end up in Phoenix quite often for work, and I think my favorite restaurant is there. I'll go out of the way to get there.

If you can, eat at Dicks Hideaway before you leave Phoenix. I like it for breakfast or lunch. My favorite thing on the menu is for breakfast- the RICHARDSONS COMBO (one jalapeno benedict smothered with jalapeno hollandaise & 2 chicken enchiladas with a side of asparagus, choice of red or green chile). Its enough food for 3 people, but worth it. Located at 6008 N 16th St, Phoenix, AZ 85016. There is no sign on the door, but its in a decent part of town, so no safety concerns.

Haha. This ^^^

Great place to grab a drink and a bite to eat. I live about 3 blocks from there and always seem to venture in for their enchiladas. There's a great butcher shop next door that also has a great deli (Hobe Meats), check it out. San Tan Brewery and the Vig across the street as well. Always a ton decent trim at both of those spots.

But yes, it's getting hot, however next week looks to be ok. Head up north, take a hike in 6A and look for some sheds. Or, maybe stop in and check out Prescott then take the 89A (great drive) up to Jerome. Both old towns with a bunch of history and not that far of a drive. If you really want to check out Sedona, you can continue on the 89A and it will take you right there. But, I agree with the other post about it being too "touristy". But there are some great hiking trails up there as well as in Flagstaff.

Or if you fish, check out some guides (AZ Fishing Guides). Hit up Saguaro Lake and try and stick a double digit largemouth bass. They are just coming off of beds and it's on fire right now.

boom

WKR
i keep meaning to try Pizza Bianco..but it is always so crowded. is it worth the hype?

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Made it into town. Based on time will probably hit a campground near Flagstaff tonight, maybe a brewery for dinner. Tomorrow head up towards Jacob Lake. Camp somewhere again tomorrow night. Fishing trip Friday morning, stay in town Friday night before I fly out Saturday.