Hunting off dirt bike

BigShane54

Lil-Rokslider
Does anybody on here use dirt bikes to access their hunting spots? I am considering getting one to get back in just that much farther before starting on foot. Just curious on what size bike everyone uses. I am a bigger guy so I have been looking at a 450, just worried about the weight of a bike that size should it stall out on a steeper incline. Thanks

Does anybody on here use dirt bikes to access their hunting spots? I am considering getting one to get back in just that much farther before starting on foot. Just curious on what size bike everyone uses. I am a bigger guy so I have been looking at a 450, just worried about the weight of a bike that size should it stall out on a steeper incline. Thanks

Yeah if you get a Honda get the 450x model it has a wide ratio gearing so it will be better for trail ride but you still might have to get a different rear sprocket to slow it down. Another bike to look at is the 2x2 rokon it’s a fat cat that people call a mountain goat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was just a thread about this a few months ago. Do a forum search for “dirt bike”

slowelk

WKR
I have done this, and it can be great on the way in, but coming out heavy is not awesome if you're not skilled enough for the terrain and a heavy bike. I'm 230# with all my gear, and a 240cc AJP PR4 (you've probably never heard of it) was more than enough power. It's about the gearing, not the horses. A Yamaha TW200 would likely do the trick, or really anything geared for enduro-style trail riding.

I just don't think bikes are meant to carry much weight and be nimble, but it's probably more of an operator issue than a bike issue.

I’m a dirt bike guy but I wouldn’t consider hunting from one. From a safety aspect there’s not a good way to carry a bow or rifle on one unless you hunt with an SBR that’s narrower than your handlebars. Having anything stick up attached to your pack above the base of your neck is asking to get ripped off at high speed. You’re also increasing your chances of getting hurt out in the middle of nowhere by riding in and out in the dark.

From a hunting standpoint, you’re likely to blow by all sorts of fresh sign and even animals that would be in plain eyesight while walking or even on a mountain bike. Not to mention that you’re still going to have to pack the animal out by hand, then go back in and get the bike out.

I suppose it could be useful in situations like you’ve already located a specific buck in an area that’s a 2 hour hike in but only a 10 minute ride, you plan to hunt him after work, have a clearly defined trail to follow in and out, and expect to hunt quite a few days before you’re successful. In general I don’t think it’s worth it though.

If you do decide to try it, I’d look for a KTM 300 2-stroke. They are lightweight and happy having the engines lugged. Most of the 450 4-strokes are MX bikes and will overheat quickly while idling or going slow, in addition to being very maintenance intensive.

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
As mentioned there are some definite safety concerns... I know of one guy (very experienced rider) that dumped his bike and ended up with a Broadhead through his femoral artery and damn near died.... anyways, if you’re set on using some sort of dirt bike for access, I would definitely second the Rokon. The 2 wheel drive will definitely be much more stable in steep, rugged terrain.

blackdawg

WKR
I have a sxs and just added a TW200 to the mix. After riding for a month my thoughts are,, dang why didn’t I get this a long time ago. This little bike crawls in stock form, mods can make it a mountain goat. Read the TW 200 forum, before you decide. I haven’t tried much weight, developing my off-road skills at this point. I have dropped it a few times but being low and slow, no injures which is why this 50+ guy chose this cycle. It is also street legal and can cruise at 50-55. My buddy has a Rokon. It is a beast and if you know your riding area could be a real asset, however you will be limited most of the time and the atv will go most of the same places anyhow. My mud riding and hill climbing indicate that the cycle also will go maybe 75% of the places my SxS will go. I put a cycle rack on the TW and mounted my koplin gun boot/scabbard to it, I will swap between that and the bow scabbard. If I need to carry weight, I will probably make multiple trips at a low speed.

IdahoElk

WKR
I use a Trials bike that has a seat and it works great for getting into the backcountry.My bow is a three piece recurve that fits in my backpack on the way in and I transport a rifle in its case strapped to the side,never had an issue,going slow and being able to plant both feet flat on the ground at all times are key to avoiding accidents.
The Yamaha TW200 is just about the perfect backcountry bike.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yamaha ttr 250 geared down.....a leg saver but riding in the dark on slick rooted off camber narrow trails in the dark is not for everyone🤔I’ve laid it down a couple on creek crossings in the dark a couple of times and come out with a nice bruise or two. I’ve packed many elk out on it and let’s just say there is a good compromise on the throttle to not go to slow when you have 80 pounds or more on your bike and or back. I prefer the meat on the pack board to keep weight forward and not throw the bike around. If looking to do it be sure to practice and see if for you and practice on the area your looking to ride to prevent any issues. Good luck and as noted riding with broadheads could be deadly. we packed a few out of here prior to wolves...I will say my two buddies 6'5' and 230ish also ride ttrs 250's with no issues, but are not big fans of sketchy trails and often ditch the bikes well ahead of myself for safety reasons and walk portions versus riding or I ride their portions through nasty sections of trail.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
Tried it with a TW-200. I took several falls and it was more exhausting than just hiking in. Treacherous if there's any mud, as the front wheel kept sliding out - Maybe it's because I haven't ridden a bike in a while.

You should consider looking into an E bike instead. I came from a heavy dirt bike background growing up although i never used one for hunting situations. But i absolutely love my E bike. There nimble and extremely quiet and will probably go as far into the woods as you want them to. I’m really impressed so far with mine
f88b076e59158e06d4a8b40c48d4efd8.jpg

A TW 200 or BW 200 with racks is the way to go if you are using it for hunting. You can pack a lot and it is much easier to ride the meat out on racks than on your back. A 450 is a fine bike for your size for normal single track riding, but you will appreciate a TW or BW much more when using it for hunting. I ride a 350 XCF all summer but switch to the BW 200 when it comes to hunting. You can get a used TW or BW for $1500 if you check craigslist.

You have to be really judicious about using a dirt bike. It scares a lot of game and just pushes them further in and makes them harder to hunt. And, it gets really sketchy as mentioned. I've hunted off dirt bike and wouldn't write it off completely but it's worse than hiking for most areas I hunt.