New bike suggestions

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’m in the market for a new bike. It’s primary use won’t be hunting but I do want to use it as much as terrain and regulations allow. My previous bike was an old garage sale Giant that has served me well but after a couple of scary close calls on wet trails with a trailer behind me and old school brakes, it’s time for me to step into the 21 st century as far as bikes go . Looking for suggestions on what others like, things I might be overlooking or things I need to consider?? I really like the idea of plus size tires instead of a pure fat bike. And I like the idea of a 1x11 type of drivetrain for simplicity sake. I really like the Salsa Timberjack and I rode a REI Coo-op 27.5+ last week and really liked that too. I know nothing about frame geometry and what’s best for what applications but thought sticking to bikes that are intended for bikepacking would be a good place to start??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I think going for a packing bike would be good, because it seems like that would be easier to ride everyday, than it would be to just get a bike, and suffer if you tried to pack on it. I have been on a couple plus bikes, and it sounds like that wouldn't be a bad way to go. I haven't tried packing on a bike, but it seems like something without aggressive geometry would be better. I had a trek fuel ex 8 that would have probably worked decent. One with good lockout on your suspension would probably help with weight as well.

BCSteel

FNG
I've also been thinking about getting a new bike as I get more into bikepacking and bike hunting. Right now I'm on a Giant Talon 29'er and it's getting the job done but I've put enough km's on it to know what I'd like different on my next bike. Forks: mine are heavy and basically untunable. A high quality air fork is a must. Drive train: I prefer a 2x setup over my current 3x. Finding that perfect tempo while riding through the mountains is quite important and a 1x just doesn't cut it for me. Brakes: next set will be mechanical disk instead of hydro. Frame: no problems with the geometry of a cross country bike but I would like more room to run larger tires on bigger rims. I top out with 2.25 now and I'd like the option to run 2.35 or 27.5+ on my next bike.

So, no real suggestions on specific bikes but those are the things that top my list from highest to lowest priority.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

jeepfan

FNG
Diamondback Recoil 29 Silver Mountain Bike sm 16" New | eBay

I bought this bike about 2 weeks ago. I just noticed that the shipping is $39.99. When I bought it the shipping was $3.99 so I guess they must have made a mistake on the shipping and corrected it. I like the bike because it is full suspension with 29" wheels which are a definite improvement over 26" wheels. Hard to beat the price on a full suspension 29er with disc brakes.

I do not use the front sprocket set so I use clear tubing over the outer sprocket to safeguard my pants leg or my waders. I also install a slightly more padded seat and some bars with some rise in them so I my back is not sore from the ride. I also upgrade the grips to the ergo grips. I have a trailer I pull when I duck hunt the impoundments. Hunting bike trailer - YouTube

Beendare

WKR
It really depends on your degree of technical riding and what type of trails you ride....and your body size.

I can tell you I really like my 29er hard tail for fire trails...and i'm a big guy so its comfortable. A small technical guy would hate it.

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
Salsa has plenty of options geared towards bikepacking. Also, the Trek 1120 is worth looking into, basically a Stache setup for bikepacking.

Any reason you are against going full fat? I have completely converted to riding my tubby bike 100% of the time and I have no regrets.

TheTone

WKR
Brakes: next set will be mechanical disk instead of hydro.

Sk

Why mechanical over hydro?

I'm in the same boat of trying to figure out what I want in a bike. The practical side of me says to go with a fat tire for hunting use, but there is something about a 29 or + tire full suspension that is really appealing for more play riding.

Beendare

WKR
I'm in the same boat of trying to figure out what I want in a bike. ,,,,,,.

Yeah, well thats a good strategy. I'm 6'4" between 230-250# and my old full suspension bike was a PITA when grinding long uphills to a fishing spot we used to trek in to. I was losing too much energy to the bike. Same goes for those balloon tire bikes. I played with a buddies Farley....and though I didn't crunch it up some hills...my guess is it would have been close to the same.

I suppose a guy could just air up....but my 29er tires are fine for most stuff....I don't ride in snow.

I have been eyeing an upgrade.

Check out the specialized Fuse. Fuse | Specialized.com

Hybrid of traditional mountain bike and fatty. Reviews are very strong and they are apparently selling like hotcakes. I saw one at my local shop and probably would have bought it on the spot if it had been my size.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
From a former DH & XC mtn bike racer, a few thoughts....

Less is more. Full rigid steel frame & fork with 26 in. wheels and 2.3in. or bigger tires, single speed, hydro disc brakes, a good saddle (brooks) and professional fitting will be the best option for a hunting bike. Quiet, reliable, functional and quiet. And quiet. This assumes predominantly fire road type riding and not technical singletrack.

Bikes these days are like rifles; you'll have people selling the latest and greatest - but there's always the tried and true. A blown shock 15 miles in with a full hunting load really sucks. Trust me.

29'ers are cool but full rigid, hydro brakes, single speed. Do not deviate.

Suspension is cool too but not for hunting imho. Too much to go wrong when the hunt is the focus, not the ride.

I like Burnt's idea. Don't know if I could do SS though. Have to have some gears. Need somthing that you can put panniers on and just ride it in. Keep it simple on a hunting bike. I don't think it's the place for all the "doo dads"

I'd do hydro's too. Decent ones require very little maintenance and you don't have to adjust like mechs.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
My ss is 34:20 so pretty easy. You'd be surprised much better you hunt from a bike when there's nothing to do but observe and pedal, walk some here or there then pedal some more...

sneaky

"DADDY"
I bought a Jamis DragonSlayer. Steel frame, 1x11 drivetrain. Came down between it and a Karate Monkey, but I couldn't find the Surly in my size. That, and it's stealth black lol. Thinking of putting a rigid fork on the front and a dynamo hub setup to power a front light and to charge electronics off of. It's a 27.5+ bike.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
So I ended up getting a Salsa Timberjack today! Rode about 5 or 6 miles just on the local bike path but I am really in love with this bike. The 3” tires really soak up the bumps. This is my first 1x drivetrain bike. I am amazed at how quiet the bike is and how quick and quiet gear changes are. I like the idea that Salsa makes all sorts of bags, racks and other accessories that my mind is already thinking what hunting and fishing gear I can stow in them! Now to keep my eye on a bob trailer on Craigslist and I’ll be all set

e776508f4007e37644c493a749d0f4e0.jpg

Last edited:
I got hooked on fat bikes myself last year and look forward to hunting with it. Salsa does make a great bike and I tried a couple out too.

I wound up getting a Motobocane from Bikes Direct. Would reccomend! A great way to get more for your buck. I'm going to order a set of 29 tires for summer trail riding to swap out soon.

af8ecdb6b770212abefb559ab19673ef.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m in the market for a new bike. It’s primary use won’t be hunting but I do want to use it as much as terrain and regulations allow. My previous bike was an old garage sale Giant that has served me well but after a couple of scary close calls on wet trails with a trailer behind me and old school brakes, it’s time for me to step into the 21 st century as far as bikes go . Looking for suggestions on what others like, things I might be overlooking or things I need to consider?? I really like the idea of plus size tires instead of a pure fat bike. And I like the idea of a 1x11 type of drivetrain for simplicity sake. I really like the Salsa Timberjack and I rode a REI Coo-op 27.5+ last week and really liked that too. I know nothing about frame geometry and what’s best for what applications but thought sticking to bikes that are intended for bikepacking would be a good place to start??

Check out the Rambo 1000XP. It's an electric bike with a 9 speed motor. It has a peddle assist so when you're going up a hill or something steep you can just use the throttle and it give the bike a little more power so there isn't much strain on the legs.

Might sound crazy but as a big guy who struggles to stay in the right gear, my Landrider auto-shift bike removed all the grief and made riding fun again. I'm always in the best gear without thinking. Can haul weight too.

Floorguy

WKR
My next bike will be a Fatback Corvus. Full fat but with a second 27.5+ wheelset. Its carbon and designed for bikepacking. My current bike is a 9zero7 whiteout also full fat with a spare 27.5+ wheelset but is aluminum. I have taken it all types of places to include from the stop sign in Cantwell to the stop sign in Paxson. It excepts a rear rack and I put a framed wolftrax fork on it so that I could mount gear to the fork. I have the cogburn weapon mount and it works great for carrying my bow or a rifle.

I agree with the above on seat it can make or break a ride. Brooks seats are the best I have tried. I have trouble after 30 miles on some seats the Brooks after 100 miles I still don't have near the same discomfort.

I find that with playing with tire pressure I can get by and not feel like I need a suspension fork.

My bike is 2x10 I am looking at dropping the front derailleur and going with a 30 or 32tooth chain ring and setting it up as a 1x10, if I decide that I need more range I will go SRAM eagle shifter and derailleur with the sunrace 12 speed cassette.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk