Headed to Andalusia AL for work. Anything cool to do in the area?

KBC

WKR
Looks like work is sending me to Andalusia at the end of May for 3 weeks. I'll probably only have one day off a week but is there anything to do in the area?
Any good hunting stores to check out? Coming from Canada everything in the USA is bigger than what I'm used to. The Cabelas close to me pales in comparison to the one just down the I5 near Seattle.
I've heard a flea market in Alabama is an experience. I think we are 1.5 hours from a beach in Florida but I'm too fat, pale and hairy for that to really be my thing.
;)

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you happen to go through or to Birmingham-although not hunting related-you should see the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum. Vintage motorcycles galore.

bozeman

WKR
bring an air conditioner! honestly, Andalusia is kinda in the middle of nowhere. the beach was going to be my recommendation (Destin, FL) as it is very nice. Safe travels!

LaHunter

WKR
Also, not sure if you are a baseball fan, but the SEC conf baseball tournament will be in Hoover, which is very near Birmingham. It starts about the 22nd and runs almost a week I believe

netman

WKR
Lots of bowfishing going on. Find a bowfishing website and ask for some pointers. You will get invitations to go. Lots of fun and very social. Offer to pay for fuel and your in.

bozeman

WKR
Also, if you play golf the Robert Trent Jones golf trail has some phenomenal courses. Also, think about a in-shore or off-shore fishing trip.....grouper, reds, snapper.......excellent fishing on the coast.

Btaylor

WKR
Prepare to stay well hydrated as summer in the south can be unpleasant. You can break a sweat using the clicker to unlock the car door. I am 8+ hours north of there and it was 94 here yesterday. Expect 90's and high humidity. Like has been mentioned I would look for fishing or something water related.

OP
K

KBC

WKR
Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately I’m allergic to fish so fishing is probably out and I don’t golf either. Looks like 4 weeks now haha. Now that I said I could go they got me...I’m pretty sure the hangar is air conditioned though so hopefully the heat/humidity won’t be too much of shock to the system while I’m working.

Grumman

WKR
I’m relocating with work in four weeks to just southeast of Montgomery. I don’t have any tips yet to offer but tagging along for info. I do know there is a Bass Pro Shops in Prattville north of Montgomery. I think that is roughly 2 hours from where you will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ethan

WKR
My sister use to live there. Best thing I’ve found to do there is leave! 😂 sorry, couldn’t resist!

Mattt

Lil-Rokslider
very humid. I've worked there a lot. Hog hunting is better than good. Should be some public land but check the regs. Private land permission should not be hard to get. If you can't get ahold of a gun or bow they have a spear season for deer and hogs. Hogs should be year round no limit.

OP
K

KBC

WKR
Well I might end up having two days off a week now so more time to explore. Any good local breweries?