Fly Line Choice - Scientific Anglers Mastery Textured Magnum

treillw

WKR
Hello,

I was wondering if anybody could give me any advice on selecting a line for my 4 wt. I have a St Croix fast action fly rod and am an intermediate level fly fisher - just fish typical dry flies and nymphs. Is this a good line or would I be better served with something else? I would like to find a good line on clearance for around $30-40.

Scientific Anglers Mastery Textured Magnum Fly Line Wf4f Mist Green | eBay

Thanks.

dtrkyman

WKR
You don't need a magnum taper most likely. Look for a "trout taper" the magnum will over power small dries.

miksuv

FNG
As it is a fast action rod, I would also considering going with a long taper 5wt line, this is what I do when working with fast / really fast rods.
Some limitations to long cast might occur as with the heavy (magnum) taper. Big preference and depends on the distance you usually work with. Long distance =long taper so that optimal loading of the rod is when more line is out, Short distance = heavier line or taper so that the rod load properly with less line out.

Good choice is a standard taper WF line :)

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
I quit buying expensive lines.... Bozeman Flyworks. I've had 3 of their lines over the past 2 years. Great quality, $35 bucks! Check them out. I'm fishing around 100-150 days a year on them with zero issues.

bbrown

WKR
Check amazon - Went to my local sportsmans and they wanted $40 for the Rio trout weight forward. Same stuff was $23 shipped through Amazon.

i hate the textured lines. I know a few people who swear by them but I just dont get it. For trout/stream fishing you do not need a high end line. There are decent deals out there on hook hack or a few other websites. That being said I was given a Rio gold trout taper that typically sells for a ton of money and I really like that one for my bigger water stuff where I am reaching out a ways. Anyway, its ok to bargain shop for your trout line in a 4 wt. i even still like cheap double taper for my small stream stuff. you basically get two lines out of it.

eamyrick

WKR
I would also suggest skipping the magnum taper. With dry flies presentation is more important than distance casting and there are lots of good options for under $50.